Trying to tempt Fluffy to eat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Trying to tempt Fluffy to eat

Post by Walesgang »

Well done Fluffy!

Keep up the good work xxx
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Great that she has eaten something :)

I agree with Helen. I guess they know what they might fancy. Pretty much like us when we are under the weather.

Not cheap, but Thrive do small tins of shredded chicken in a clear broth - so more like the stuff we eat, rather than a jelly as most are. I know Sainsbury's sell them, but not sure where else, other than Amazon. The good thing is, they are balanced.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrive-Cat-Comp ... GJ629REVJA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks all for your encouragement. Really appreciate it!

Helen and Mark I think Fluffy might have proved your theory to be true. Her preference today has definitely been the chicken. I tried to vary her meals by giving her some sardines but she needed a lot more tempting with that than she did with the chicken. In fact she needed no tempting with the chicken and she purred for quite some time afterwards so obviously felt better for eating it. Thanks for the link Mark. I've just ordered some. Should be with me on Friday with one day delivery. The chicken and pumpkin is coming tomorrow. I hope Fluffy appreciates how much it costs to get things delivered quickly :D.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Carol.....I know what you mean about the cost !!!!

The 'Thrive' food in chicken which Mark sent the link is excellent, its probably the only food which Barney really goes crackers for...even when he was a little under the weather recently, he always managed to eat the Thrive chicken above any others, it's really well worth it....everything crossed for Fluffy....xx
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by nannymcfee »

I keep buying the roast spit chicken, ( on site) from the local co op, i know they are expensive, but the oldies here love them especially still warm,

This morning they have all eaten felix sensations,every last morsel, they are more like a 'pulled' meat type texture,than chunks and more a thick pate/jelly round the meat, has she tried them...?

Luca and Phoebe ( they are both lacking teeth too) also like potted meat.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Hi Julie. Glad that the lovely Barney likes Thrive Chicken. Thanks for letting me know. It certainly sounds promising.

Fluffy has just had a little bit of warmed chicken this morning and is now resting on my bed.

She is drinking and weeing much more these last few days. I don't know if that is down to the change in diet or whether it's an indication that her kidneys are deteriorating. It is significantly more. So much so that I'm going to have to ask one of my friends to go and get her some more litter.

Thanks Nannymcfee for your suggestions. I haven't heard of Felix sensations before but have just looked them up. They look much nicer than the normal Felix. I will add it to my list of foods to try.
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by nannymcfee »

Ours like the poultry/meat variety,( not sauce ones ) they are the crunchy crumble meat ones you can get them in packs of 7, with the little crunchy crumble sprinkles ( in separate packet so no need to use them) cost about £3.29, but asda have on offer 2 for £5.00 if Fluffy eats them.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

We're thinking of the beautiful Duchess and willing her on with much love. I've just thought, it is worth getting a urine sample to the vet? Not sure though if it would be better or worse knowing if Fluff's kidneys were deteriorating though. :( Love to you both xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks for thinking of the little girl Sarah and thanks for your suggestion. When I was last at the vets and we had the discussion about deterioration I asked about things that could be done to help her when the time comes. I specifically asked about her going on fluids etc for her kidneys. He said that we have to bear in mind her quality of life at the time. I got the impression that he thinks we're doing all we can with her meds etc and if her kidneys deteriorate then it isn't worth prolonging things by administering fluids. I think it's because he is very mindful of her other serious heart conditions. With just those alone she is on borrowed time. It's so hard not knowing what is going to happen to her. I just keep doing all I can to make her comfortable.

On a lighter note....... I couldn't even see the face of the postman today as he struggled up the garden path with a huge pile of boxes all for us. Most of them being food for Fluffy from Amazon. It wasn't our usual postman as I would have had a laugh with him about them. After he'd left he came back with one more that he'd forgotten. I didn't dare tell him that there'll be more coming tomorrow :)
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Shelly and Dora »

How have things gone with tempting your beautiful girl with the choice of new foods Carol?

Little Fluffy has so much love and support being sent to her. If positive thoughts and heartfelt wishes can make a difference I'm sure it won't be long before she's tucking into a dish of something tasty.

Love to you both xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Awww thanks so much Shelly :) Well I've just tried her with some of the Applaws chicken and pumpkin. She needed quite a lot of tempting which I was surprised at. But she finally allowed me to handfeed it to her. She's only had a small amount but at least it's something. I've got the Applaws sardine and mackerel as backup just in case she won't eat any more of it. If that fails then it's back to cooked chicken and sardines in tomato sauce. I'll pass on your kind thoughts to the little girl Xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Carol,

Barney can be picky with the Applaws Chicken and pumpkin too.

I will be ordering the chicken Thrive tins in the next couple of days, if you wanted to just try one tin, rather than buy a whole pack, let me know and I will post you a tin to try.

love and thoughts to you both...xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks so much Julie for your offer. She definitely isn't keen on the chicken and pumpkin :( I ordered some Thrive chicken last night so it should be coming tomorrow. I ordered two packs. Forever the optimist :) She's retreated to behind the tv now which is a place she goes to when she's not feeling great. Thanks for your support Xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

My heart goes out to you Carol,

Like me, you must be watching her every move, as I do with Barney, it's so worrying.....xx
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Dearest Carol

I have just got in from work and am catching up with the news.

How worrying for you. You are really doing all you can for your precious girl.

My heart goes out to you, and I send all positive vibes your way.

Love from me and the gang xxxx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

How is Fluffy this evening? Is she eating OK?

Tommy ran to meet me when I came home from shopping. He seems bright enough, just wish he would eat proper meals and not just pick. Bet you feel the same.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks for thinking of us Val and Sue Xx

Well she isn't doing as well as I'd hoped tonight. I'm even struggling to get her to eat cooked chicken. Will have another go soon at some handfeeding. I'll have to switch to the sardines if the chicken doesn't work. She's sleeping a lot. Seems to be going from one bed to another more than normal though.

Sue I hope Tommy continues to feel bright and happy. He was obviously pleased to see you!
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Oh Carol.....

Thinking about you both so much tonight....hoping Fluffy has a quiet night......and you too.....xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Come on Mme Fluffy - your mum needs you to eat something. xx

Glad Tommy's Perky. :)
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Darling girl, we all love you, eat your food nicely, sweetheart. XXXXXX
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Morning Carol.

What sort of night did you and the beautiful Duchess have? Does she seem brighter today?

Xxx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thank you all so much for your support and for thinking of us.

Well she hardly ate anything over night. She woke me by being sick around six this morning. Seemed bright in herself though. I've handfed her some sardines. Had to give it her in very tiny amounts, almost rolled into a ball before she would eat any of it. She's back behind the tv now fast asleep. I'm really hoping that she will like the Thrive when it comes. I'll prepare some cooked chicken just in case.

I will pass on your good wishes to the little lady Xx
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Thanks for letting us know how your darling girl is Carol.

How worrying for you. Let's hope the Thruve or chicken perk her up a bit.

Continued positive vibes from us xxx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thanks Carol,

Been checking for an update on Fluffy....I really hope the Thrive works, it usually does for Barney when he's off colour....keeping everything crossed.....xx
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Fingers crossed she will eat the Thrive or something else Carol. Do you have a co-op nearby? Another Alice Favourite was their ready-cooked whole chickens. However they cook them, they are really moist and quite greasy. Dom has followed in her footsteps. No nasty additives, just a small amount of Dextrose which I think helps to brown the outside.

Have you tried the Gourmet Gold pate tins? - Kylie is getting a bit picky. She has chronic loose stools, which haven't cleared up with ABs and Fortiflora. I bought her some of the senior pate tins. She loves the ocean fish flavour. They also do an adult version (Which Sarah says isn't much highter in protein than the senior) The Co-op sell single tins of the ocean fish adult version.
Last edited by MarkB on Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

My lot aren't charmed with chicken unless it's freshly roasted and not always then, but if I grill a piece they go mad for it! I think because the juices get concentrated with the blast of heat and it smells more strongly. I chop it fine to tempt a faddy cat.

Oh and have you tried a bit of bacon? Again my present lot aren't charmed but most of the cats who've owned me would KILL for bacon! (Not good nutrition I know but just to get her growling again?)

Good luck with her x
Camdengirl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Camdengirl »

I'm sorry Fluffy isn't doing well, Carol, good luck with the Thrive (not sure whether anyone has told you, but it looks a bit grey when you open it, that's normal...the first time I wondered whether there was something wrong with my tin!)

I really wouldn't recommend trying her with bacon given the high salt content, I suspect that could be dangerous for a cat with serious kidney trouble.

Gentle fusses to Madam Fluffy
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

two things Trigger loved were John West dressed crab and liver, especially lamb's liver lightly poached in water

neither would be good for her, I suspect, but if it's a case of anything rather than nothing, it wouldn't cost much to try them, and both are readily available in supermarkets
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks again for your encouragement and suggestions Xx

Mark I don't have a co-op nearby but if the Thrive doesn't work then I might have to ask a friend to go and get some cooked chicken. Nearest one is about 10 miles away or so. Fluffy doesn't like the pate type foods. You'd think she would as there's minimal chewing involved but she has always struggled with the texture. There doesn't seem to be an obvious reason for this as the vet has never found anything wrong in her mouth. She's always had this problem. I've even tried mixing in some water to make it less sticky but she still doesn't like it. Really hope Kylie's bowel movements improve.

Thanks Lil for the tip on grilling chicken. Always good to have different options to try making it more tempting.

Thanks Sarah for the warning about Thrive. I didn't know it looked grey. Knowing me I would have panicked and thought it had gone off en route!! Fusses passed on to the little girl.

Thanks Kay for your suggestion. Just seen your post before submitting this. Yes it may well be getting to the stage where anything is better than nothing.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Same concerns about salt, but I have tempted my lot with ham sometimes as well as chicken, they all love ham but only get it as a rare treat.

I hope Mme Fluffy goes for the Thrive, I've not tried it but my lot love the Feline Fayre Simply chicken fillets, which I believe is much the same. All paws here crossed for her. xx