My Cat Bites me....

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
leannelove
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

My Cat Bites me....

Post by leannelove »

Hi everyone. This is my first post as i needed some advice on my 3 year old cat.

He has a had a seriously rough life bless him, i bought him from some less than nice people, he was advertised as 8 weeks, when i arrived he was clearly 4 weeks old max, and left outside on his own. I couldn't just leave him there and luckily i used to work for a rescue centre so was happy to do all the night feeds and make sure he grew up ok. We got him through and he grew into a lovely little cat.

He then got 'catnapped' when he was about a year old, and we found him beaten up, turned out someone had taken him, put him in a carrier bag and beaten against a wall. Obviously i got him straight to the vets and after some long recovery he got better.
He then got attacked by a fox and had his eye lid ripped open, again straight to the vets and recovered.
Funnily enough he now doesn't really go outside.
On the other side of that...this is going to sound very mean...but he has always been a bit slow. He is slow to train and he just seems a bit simple. I know that sounds mean, but he is completely different from my other cat. Its no problem and i love him with all my heart.

Since we got him at a young age he has always been a bit bitey, he used to suck our fingers when he was tired, even when he was an adult.
He is also a big mummies boy, he has always preferred me over my husband, but he is in no way aggressive, he will cuddle my husband as much as he will me, but if he has a choice he will come straight to me.
The sucking on fingers and nibblings has now developed into nipping me and night. It sounds sweet but both my cats will normally sleep in with us.
But now when he is either hungry or tired or wanting attention he started by biting my toes, then my leg, then my hip, my side, then my arms then if i don't respond he will bite my nose. He has NEVER done this to my husband only me. He doesn't hurt when he bites, but it sure wakes me up quickly. its almost like its a very affectionate thing, but i really need a way of stopping it, without meaning he is shut out the bedroom.

If anyone can help that would be fabulous. He is an adorable little man, and i think he is just doing it cos he thinks im his mum or something, but i would like to not be woken up every day by it.

If you can help please let me know

Thanks
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: My Cat Bites me....

Post by Walesgang »

Hi Leanne

Welcome to CC.

Gosh, what a terrible start in life your boy has had :o

It certainly does sound like he's seeing you as his mummy, and trying to get attention.

I haven't and experience of this, but his real mummy would have started pushing him away when he was old enough. I would be tempted to only reward good behaviour and ignore bad. If you are in anyway responding positively to bad behaviour it will be telling him that bad behaviour is right.

Well done with everything you have got your poor boy though. What's his name by the way?
leannelove
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by leannelove »

i thought that might be the case. He is such a loving boy but poor little man really hasnt had a great life, so i probably spoil him more than i should.

His name is Arwen, (which is a female character from lord of the rings) but it turned out he was a boy, after we thought he was a girl hehe.

He is the black and white one in my profile picture, and his 'brother' is Bilbo, the ginger one.
I would have more but my husband has put him foot down lol
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

They are both handsome boys :)

I spoil my four something rotten! I think what I am suggesting is only reward when his behaviour has been something you want him to do.

For example, if he bites you, I would gently push him away and then ignore him.

Others may have suggestions too. Keep us posted how you get along :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Tommy does something similar, but with his claws. To get your attention he'll gently reach out, spread his toes and sink his grappling hooks into you. It is not spite, just trying to get attention - and he certainly does - ouch!

He does it so slowly we have time to say 'no' and gently push him away. It often takes a few attempts, but it does work. If he does it when we are in bed, we pull the covers over our heads and he soon gets the message and settles back down.

What a terrible start he had. He was so lucky you happened along. He definitley sees you as his mummy. :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree with the others, but it can be really difficult when they do it to get your attention as any attention, even saying no, can be a reward in itself. Ideally you need to ignore the bad behaviour and reward the times he tries to get your attention in a more acceptable way. Sometimes that's easier said than done! Good luck, he sounds a lovely chap and was very lucky you rescued him. :)
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mrs Kane »

Hey Leannelove,

To echo everyone else I'm sorry your little boy had such a horrible time growing up. I suppose taking such a beating would leave him feeling vunerable for most of his life.

As for the biting, I can only speak from experience. Our current cat only bites when she's feeling too fussed or nips when she is happy and curled up with either me or my boyfriend.

The best advice I can give you is an example with a friends cat I knew when I was a kid. He also used to curl up with my friend when she was in bed but when he wanted attention or food he would nip her ear so she woke up. We discovered by accident that he hated the sound of coins dropping and would run away from them. My friend kept a glass jar of pennies by the bed and rattled them whenever he nipped her. he soon got the message and stopped.

Now I know it's a cruel thing to scare a cat, but cats do learn by association. (EG, my cat knows when I reach up into the tallest cuboard, she's going to be fed, thus I don't keep any other food in there) Perhaps if you find something your boy doesn't like and use it when he wakes you he won't be so inclined to nip you anymore. Cats are nocturnal by nature and if he thinks you're his mum, and nipping you will wake you up, maybe he thinks you'll want to play, or feed, or pet him. Any positive response is what he wants. When you're trying to sleep, getting up or fussing him in any way isn't going to help.

I would recommend finding something that he doesn't like. (For example, my cat HATES our feather duster, so when she's being naughty, AKA, trying to steal food, I wave that around so she stops.) Whether it be a sound, a certain thing he doesn't like to see waved around, or even a smell if possible I recommend you try using it. Even if it means getting up for a moment if you can't place the object near you while you sleep, perhaps he will learn that nipping you will not get him what he wants.

I hope that he learns to stop waking you up, and that you have a peaceful nights rest from now on.

Love MK