BARNEYS ILL WITH BLADDER PROBLE YET AGAIN.....AN UPDATE

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

BARNEYS ILL WITH BLADDER PROBLE YET AGAIN.....AN UPDATE

Post by JulieandBarney »

Well, here we are again, anti biotics for 2nd bout of cystitis ended Friday, and Barneys back to straining again this morning, looking thoroughly miserable. He passed some water this morning first thing with no problem but now it's started up again.

He has also been passing a clear 'jelly' like substance this morning while he was straining, so worried yet again, it will be vet first thing tomorrow again...he was due in Tuesday for a check up, looks like it will be the bladder scan now, poor soul just can't settle anywhere..... :cry:
Last edited by JulieandBarney on Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: BARNEYS ILL WITH BLADDER PROBLE YET AGAIN.....SO MISERAB

Post by greenkitty »

Poor Barney, he's really having a miserable time of late. Hope the vet is able to do something a bit more permanent for lovely Barney, to give him (and you) some relief from this.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you...it's awful to see him looking so miserable when he gets these flare ups, he keeps straining everywhere, then falls asleep, wakes up and starts the process again.

I have been reading about FIC which leads me to believe, that if he is diagnosed with this, there is little or no cure, which upsets me even more..... :cry:
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Oh Julie!! Poor Barney and poor you. Do you have any metacam in? That can be useful to relieve discomfort or pain associated with cystitis. You could give him some rescue remedy to help calm him down as I know he gets distressed when he's straining. It's going to seem like a long time to wait until tomorrow morning. If he continues to not pass any water then you might have to take him sooner. Others will be able to advise you better than I can.

Just read your update. Sorry I'm not familiar with FIC. Really feel for you Xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thanks Carol,

He is upstairs on the bed at the moment, but every ten minuts or so, he gets up and tries to wee....today is my Birthday too and I feel so worried, so I can't say that I am having a great time, just watching my poor fella.... :cry:

I don't have any Metacam as the vet never prescribed it previously, I will certainly mention it tomorrow.....they are such a worry to us....hope Fluffy is improving...xx
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

I'm really sorry to hear that Barney isn't well. If it were me, I'd take him to the vet immediately. The article below by Dr Lisa Pierson states that any cat that is repeatedly entering the litter box but not voiding any urine is in need of immediate medical attention:
http://www.catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope he's feeling better very soon.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Marla,

He passed a large amount of water first thing this morning, and also passed a bowel motion quite happily, its been since then that he has been straining, though he is sound asleep at the moment.

If he is still straining this afternoon, I will call the emergency vet.....
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

It's so awful seeing them like this. Do try to get some metacam into him, as it will help ease the discomfort. Has the vet considered if he might have bladder stones? Lily had this, so he operated to remove them and she almost never had the problem again, and any future flare ups I nipped in the bud straight away with some cystaid. Try to keep hi hydrated so he has something to peek but let him sleep as much as poss since it will just flare up again each time he pees. Poor lad, I do feel for you both.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Hi Julie

How is Barney this afternoon? Hope he is feeling better - what a truly awful time he has had recently

Val and the gang xxx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Julie,

sorry to hear that Barney is having problems again. Hope the vet can come up with a more permanent solution. I'll be thinking about you and Barney tomorrow.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you all....your words are a great comfort to me at the moment....

He has been 'up and down' this afternoon, he slept happily on our bed, then came downstairs and drank all his cat milk and a little water, then ate his food, he has passed a little bit of wee now and then and still 'tries' a few times though he seems much less distressed and more relaxed, even though he still passes little wees all the time and its obviously an issue.

First thing in the morning, I will be on the phone and our vet will see him straight away, he always insists on it when he has flare ups, I imagine he will keep him in for a scan, thankfully they have their own in house surgery and he is a surgeon himself, who conducts the majority of the operations on site. I will sit up all night with my boy tonight, if need be, thankfully I booked tomorrow and Tuesday as holiday from work with hubby....please send positive vibes for my boy tomorrow....so worried, yet again, hope its nothing sinister for him....xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thinking of you tonight Julie and will be in the morning too. Hope Barney is more comfortable. It's such a terrible worry for you. Let's hope the vet can get it sorted Xxx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thanks Carol....

He has been asleep on the sofa for some time now and has been purring and snoring away....my poor boy must be tired out...and I hate to put him through the stress of the vets visit tomorrow, but I must :cry: ......xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Poor boy. It will have taken it out of both of you! At least he sounds comfortable now. With something like this if the vet says he needs to see him then you have no choice :( I know you'll be dreading it but at least Barney doesn't know about it yet. Hopefully he'll have a good nights sleep which might help you get some sleep too. What a rotten day you've had Xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thanks Carol....

Its uncanny how you and I have been through these things together at the same time, from 'Harvey' to 'CC' and now with Fluffy and Barney......all at the same time.........thoughts with you and Fluffy too....xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks Julie. Yes I can see there's definitely a pattern forming!! However I'm hoping that Fluffy might be turning a corner so all we need is for Barney to be ok now :) Xxx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hope so Carol, ....will come back and let you know, as soon as he back from our old vet, David tomorrow.....xx
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

How's Barney this morning?
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi

Well Barney is as bright as a button this morning !!! Typical.. :roll:

I called the vet and he said he would still like to see him, to check for any blood in his urine again, so he is booked in for 5:10 this evening, I hate taking him when he seems well again, but if I don't take him I know what will happen....will let you know the outcome later....x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

As you say 'Typical'. :lol: Glad he's feeling better, but I still hope you can get to the bottom of his problems - and fix them!

I'll be thinking of you both this evening.
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Marla »

That's great that Barney's feeling better! :)

Is he on a 100% wet diet?

You could ask your vet about giving him D-Mannose:
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... -cats.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I get mine from here:
http://www.cytoplan.co.uk/d-mannose-plus-2181/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Great news Julie that the little boy is feeling much better :)

I was thinking about the urinary food you give him. Is it dried? Does it contain cereals? The website that Marla mentioned (catinfo.org) strongly advises against both for urinary problems. I'm not sure how much you give Barney or whether that is adding to his problems but it may be worth investigating.

Will be thinking of you all tonight Xx
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

Very sorry that poor Barney seems to have had more bladder problems, Julie. Only just seen this thread ... I'm not around this forum too much these days.

Did you try him on Zyklene after all? Not saying it will help - but anything is worth a try and expect poor Barney gets stressed when he can't pee.

Hope the vet visit goes well ... will check back later to read what you say.

Jan x
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

oh Julie, just catching up. I was away all weekend and just opened up the forum. You are at the vet now with your baby. We all hope that a good solution is proposed. Wet food definitely sounds the way forward diet wise at least. I know how hard it is watching a long term condition and how it affects them day to day, although hopefully that won't be the case for your lovely boy.

Thinking of you. I will bookmark this topic now so I get all the posts.

Sarah and family xxx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Well, we are back

Thank you all for your words of support and comfort, they mean so much. Barneys water test was fine, though the vet has sent a sample away for a bacterial test. We have some Metacam on hand, just in case, our vet is away on holiday from now for 2 weeks, so I am rather anxioux.

Since we have been back, he seems to have started straining a little, though he has weed ok....I have a feeling we will be back there again tomorrow..... :cry:
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Hi Julie.

I'm glad Barney seemed brighter this morning although it's sad he appears to be straining again.

Having the Metacam in is definitely a good idea - just in case.

Please give the little fella fusses from Dora & I xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thanks Shelley & Dora,

He is very quiet again now, poor soul....at the vets he was brilliant, so happy and chirpy, even the vet commented.....now this again, I can hardly believe it.......... :cry:
notjustacat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by notjustacat »

Poor Barney and you. How lucky he is to have been adopted by such a caring loving person as you. All paws crossed here for his full recovery.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Oh no, just caught up with this - so sorry to hear Barney's having problems again. (((hugs)))

I do think having Metacam on hand is a good idea. I have found it invaluable with Daz to have something to hand to help with the pain and inflammation, and I swear that we've narrowly avoided several bouts by 'nipping it in the bud' and giving him Metacam as soon as I thought he was having problems. Even though he's not had cystitis for over 18 months, there was an occasion earlier this year that he seemed to be yowling by the litter tray, so I gave him some just in case. Thankfully, it didn't go any further.

Fusses to poor Barney. xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you all....

He is sleeping now, so as soon as 8am comes tomorrow, he is going back to the vet, albeit a different one, as ours now on holiday.......please keep everything crossed for us........... :cry: xx