Cheyenne a quick update.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
notjustacat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Cheyenne a quick update.

Post by notjustacat »

Well it's been 20 months since I rescued Cheyenne. Timid would not even begin to describe how she was then. Since then she has become very much an outdoor roamer. I am sure some of you will remember how she went missing for seven days, then, just turned up again looking fit and healthy. Where she went I have no idea. Since then she has settled into a routine of going out in the morning after breakfast. Returning about 1 pm for a snack then out again till tea time. Then out again till about 8 pm before returning to the location in the house she has decided to make her nest at that time. She's been on top of a bookcase, she's been in an airing cupboard she's been under a bed, in the garden shed, the list goes on. Since finding the great outdoors she has become much less timid. However stroking her is a no no (yes even after 20 months). Not because she gets aggressive, it's just that she backs away if I approach too close. It can be quite frustrating that one day I can get quite close to her. Then the next day she runs and hides. Now I have no idea what your advise or comments may be. Suffice to say that Cheyenne seems to be happy with the situation and that's good enough for me. I'm sure when she is ready that last barrier will come down.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Cheyenne a quick update.

Post by bobbys girl »

Thanks for the update. Nice to know she has settled in.

Do you sit with her when she eats? That's the way we go through to Tommy. Closer and closer until we made a deal -'you get your tea when you let me stroke you first' - 'err OK'. Now he is a perfect 'Cuddle Bunny'. :lol:
notjustacat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by notjustacat »

High bobbys girl. Well yes I regularly sit and chat as she eats. The problem is if you try and move a hand ever so slightly towards her she stops eating and looks for a bolt hole/escape route.
The withholding food idea might have worked in Tommy's case and it's nice to hear it did. But knowing Cheyenne, she woulds just go and find another source of food elsewhere.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

it's a shame for you and her - something really bad must have happened to her in the past for her to remain so afraid of human contact

but I know it means a lot to you that she is obviously appreciative of the good safe home you have given her, and who knows what the future might bring
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I agree with Kay, it's a great compliment that she does at least come home to you for food and shelter/sleep, so,you're obviously doing something right. It's sad for you that she doesn't feel able to enjoy a cuddle, and sad that something happened to make her feel that way, but if she's happy with this life, that's a huge improvement on the alternative. One day, one day, she may relax a bit, and if she does, it will be you she relaxes with.