Best worming treatment?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Best worming treatment?

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi folks,

I've been a bit slap-dash over worming our lot, but since Tommy passed a huge worm (sorry TMI) a while back I think I should get them all done.

So what is the best treatment and should I use the same for all of them? Are there any to avoid with Bobby's compromised system or Tommys kidneys?

Advice please, I'd like to get this done soon. Oh and what sort of delay, if any, between Frontline (for fleas and ticks) and wormers?

Thanks,

Sue
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Best worming treatment?

Post by MarkB »

I have been told that vets give them to even sick cats. My preference is Milbemax, but for some reason they are prescription only at about £5 a pop from the vets. As Drontal do the same thing and you can get them online MUCH cheaper, I guess they are the next best thing. I guess it depends on which flea treatment you use. If you you advocate or stronghold, you only need to treat them for tapeworm, so you can order droncit spot on or tablets online (no prescription) quite cheaply.

I haven't tried it, but there is a new spot on called Broadline that does fleas and worms, including tapeworm.

Advocate does fleas, worms (except tapeworm) and also earmites.

It is a minefield! :)
Last edited by MarkB on Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I have used Broadline (from the same company as Frontline) for the first time recently. There seems to be more of it than most spot-ons and it leaves one heck of a sticky patch on the fur, but it does seem to work.

I usually prefer Milbemax too, though in between (especially when things are tight as it's cheap and non prescription) I'll sometimes alternate with Panacur granules, which are effective against roundworm and most types of tapeworm but not all. I've found that both go down easily when just mixed with food - I'm amazed the Milbemax pill gets eaten, but I watch closely and it always does!

There's a size and weight dosage chart for the Panacur, and Milbemax do a bigger pill for bigger cats. I'm not too sure of how either might affect Tommy or Bobby specifically, though.

My vets have always been happy to give Frontline and Milbemax on the same day - we do it all the time for new rescues.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Thanks for that. You are right Mark, it IS a minefield!

Helen, it is good to know they can be used together.

I bought Frontline yesterday, but was flumoxed by the wormers. At this time of year they all get a regular dose of flea and tick 'stuff'. But later in the year only Bob, Purdy and Willow. I've never seen flea or tick on Tom, ever! Grace doesn't wander these days, so if the others are clear I reckon they are OK.

I am the first to know if there are fleas about, as I attract biting insects like a magnet! :roll: Picnics are a joy (not), and as for midges......
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Just a couple more things that came to mind. Nicola at Izzy's and I were discussing which flea & worm treatment she should send me for the foster girl that came this morning. Nicola has some of everything. Between is, we decided that Advocate and Droncit would cover all bases, including earmites.

I appreciate that if people have quite a few cats, cost comes into it.

Another thing I remembered, is that one of the vets at my old practice always said that spot ons were fine for prevention, but he would always recommend a tablet for a known infestation as you know the meds will make direct contact quickly.

He also said that a parasite infestation is far more dangerous for a sick cat than any worming tablet.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

Hi, my lot have Droncit for tapeworm every six months. The only drawback with that is the bigger cats (5-6kg) need three pipettes and the smaller ones (3-4 kg) have two. That's a lot of wetness on the back of the necks and am thinking of changing to Drontal. It's bad enough for them to hold still for one spot-on let alone three :( Some of them have advocate and the others Stronghold in between.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

You can get Droncit tablets too http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/droncit-c ... ablet.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1/2 tablet fora cat, so very cheap.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I have enough problems with the drops - it doesn't matter how nonchalant I am, the little beggers know I'm coming!

I am really struggling with the tablets. Funny how they all seem to want somebody elses breakfast. I managed to dose Tommy but the girls are going to get the towel and syringe method (powdered tablet with a little milk) Then at least I know who's had what. I'm leaving Bob for now because I think he had some of Tom's. :roll: Sheesh, now I remeber why I don't do it so often!
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

I currently have 32 cats so my take on this will be different but should cover all bases!
For worms I use parazole liquid. It kills all worms and giardia but cats hate it. So I cannot do the ferals with it.
For fleas I use a spray like frontline or effipro. Same as spot on but goes further with 32 cats. Also, it is easier to sneak up on sleeping ferals.........
Ideally I would use milbemax on all the cats as they take it easily, but it would work out too expensive. A few just spit out the parazole so I milbemax them.
I treat ectoparasites as a whole other battle........ Spot-on is your best bet. Any of the vet ones will work.
You are aiming to kill animals that live both insiðe and outside your pet. So you really need two products.
U less this broadline thing is a goer, cos I love the sound of it!
marwood
New Cat Chatter

Post by marwood »

I'm in this boat too. We've been using Broadline and have been fine with it, but on hearing the active ingredient is becoming less effective due to fleas becoming immune, we don't really want to chance another summer.

We're moving onto Prinovox I think, which does the fleas and a couple of worms, but not tapeworm (which Broadline covered).

Now we definitely want to continue covering tapeworms - just in case - so do we get a wormer just for that alone? We can't use a multi wormer because of the crossover with the Prinovox worming agents.

We're also trying to keep costs down as the bills for these two furry little goofballs are crippling me...

Thanks.
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

I use Milbemax. Gemo had worms 3 weeks ago and am confident they have gone. I don't like spot on treatments now and tablets are the best. I wish a flea treatment was available in tablet form as well as worming.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I just dosed Willow with Milbemax - I think she missed out last time (she's very sneaky) but I conned her with some evap milk! :lol:
emmab
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by emmab »

bobbys girl wrote:I just dosed Willow with Milbemax - I think she missed out last time (she's very sneaky) but I conned her with some evap milk! :lol:
Have you heard of observence? It is a like a beef pate. You buy it from the vets and can mould it around a tablet. It works a treat and they are none the wiser that they have just had a tablet.
Kimbers
New Cat Chatter

Post by Kimbers »

I've been using Broadline on my two cats for almost 2 years and it works great. Another advantage is that one of my cats used to freak out and act strange after applying with the smell of frontline and others but the Broadline doesn't affect her at all.
Thoroughly recommend