Behaviour changes - loss of balance, shaking head etc...

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Chat Noir
Frequent Cat Chatter

Behaviour changes - loss of balance, shaking head etc...

Post by Chat Noir »

Hi all

My cat Portia (14 y/o) has had 2 episodes of unusual behaviour this weekend.
She appears to lose her balance then shakes her head. She seems to be looking at <something> moving very quickly or loses her eyesight all together (her pupils become dilated). Both times she has started to run around in circles and appears distressed. After we hold her, 5 minutes later this behaviour stops. She hid for an hour (whilst we kept an eye on her) then she was absolutely fine.

We are taking her to the vets asap but I was just wondering if any of you have come across this or have any ideas as to what it may be?

Thank you.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Behaviour changes - loss of balance, shaking head etc...

Post by bobbys girl »

Have you checked her ears - and I mean right down inside them? A while back Willow was behaving in a similar way, running around (as if trying to escape something) with her head on one side. We had been treating her for ear mites (she is prone to them more than the others :? ) We had checked her ears, but not deep down. When we did we were horrified at the black gunk there was there!

I hope you get to the bottom of this very soon, and it turns out to be something easily fixable. It sounds very distressing.
Chat Noir
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Chat Noir »

Thanks for replying so quickly!
We tried to look into her ears but it caused her more distress, leading me to think she has an ear infection.
She was briefly outside and after a flock of birds flew over squawking, she had another episode so we think it is her ears that are the problem.
I don't understand the running in circles bit, though. I hope the vet can treat it promptly. I hate seeing her so distressed :(((
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Chat Noir wrote:I don't understand the running in circles bit, though
I think she is trying to 'escape' whatever is bothering her and if it is ear mites it might be effecting her balance.
Chat Noir
Frequent Cat Chatter

UPDATE: Behaviour changes - loss of balance, shaking head et

Post by Chat Noir »

Just arrived home from the vets to be told that Portia has Vestibular Syndrome. She is already taking Metacam and Seraquin for her joint problems and Vet said that we should continue in with this in the hopes that it reduces inflammation in her brain.

Can anyone tell me of their experience with Vestibular syndrome?

Thank you.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Hi chat noir. I have no experience of this condition, but wonder if the vet said what caused it? Did he check her ears for infection?

I know it can be caused by an inner ear infection (which would require antibiotics) or tumours, or it can just appear out of the blue.
Chat Noir
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Chat Noir »

Hi,

He did a v thorough examination (and she was sooooo good!) and checked her ears, eyes, reflexes, listened to her heart, checked vital organs etc. He thinks there is no sign of a brain tumour but if the episodes continue, we will ask for a scan of her brain.

She's in cracking health generally and thankfully she's been episode free for 24hrs so we will keep on with her meds (which she loves the taste of) and keep a watchful eye. x
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Ah, great she is doing better! With any luck it is something and nothing. My father had an innere ear infection once. He had noain at all, but woke up one morning and couldn't balance. He thought the doctor was mad for putting him on antibiotics, but it worked! he was walking around like a drunk person, couldn't get upstairs, and had to get a friend to come get him to drive him to the doctor. He though he had had a stroke. Scary! But it was just an ear infection that came out of the blue.