Fluffy needs an operation!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Fluffy needs an operation!

Post by JulieandBarney »

That's great news Carol !!! :D

Well done HRHFluffy !!!.....So pleased for you both.....sure he will now be on the road to recovery....xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Yay! That's the worst bit over, all paws crossed that she's home safe soon. (((hugs)))
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh, fantastic! This is the news we've been waiting for, Carol! That precious baby girl! Sending her lots of fusses and kisses and hugs of relief to you. We are willing her on to the next stage of her recovery.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

That's the first hurdle crossed, keeping everything crossed for a good convalescence x
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks so much for all your well wishes and kind thoughts xxxx

I will be passing on your hugs and fusses to her once she's home safe. What a much loved little lady she is :) It seems like she's trying so hard herself to get through all these trials. She's so brave.

I just hope that she recovers well. With all her health issues I'll be watching her like a hawk over the next few days.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

You must be so relieved! That is good news! Our mogs are real little fighters aren't they! I do hope she'll be home with you and on the mend soon.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Great news Carol :)

I wouldn't be surprised if it gives her a new lease of life. I really noticed a difference in Alice after she had her teeth out. They ended up keeping her on the drip overnight, but when I bought her home the following morning. she polished off 1/2 a big tin of supermeat in one sitting. :)
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks Anna. Yes I'm so relieved. Can't wait to get her home. About to set off shortly. They are little fighters aren't they our old girls. I hope Lily continues to improve. Give her fusses from me xx

Ah thanks Mark. I certainly would be delighted if it did give her a new lease of life. I had half expected her to be kept in over night like your Alice so it's a bonus to get her back today. She's had her tummy fur trimmed and a good brush and her nails clipped too. Hope Laz and Kylie are doing well. Give them tickles from me xx
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

Good news, I'm so happy for you both!

Please give HRH a big gentle fuss from me.
jan1957
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by jan1957 »

Carol
Thrilled to hear that HRH Fluffy has done so well through her op. Eric has a message:
" Fwuffy, I is sooo pweased you did so wellies in da operwation. Would hav sent you a pwessie but mummy is sooo wapped up in her own forts dat she kepp meanin to turn on da compwooter but den got busy wiv her forts. So I izz sowwy on her behalfies. Hope you izz feeling beta vewwy vewwy soonies Fwuffy, I don't want you to be in painies eva. Me n Georgie sendin you wetty nosie wubs n licky licks xxx"
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks Helen. Gentle fuss given.

Well the little girl is home. She's had a tiny bit of chicken. Hand fed of course. The vet said he was pleased with how well she did considering her high blood pressure. She's had a couple of dissolvable stitches put in over where the crown was taken out. Once this seals up she will be pain free. He wants to see her in a week or so to make sure her gums have healed ok and to discuss her gum recession and gingivitus. He said he may advise a mouthwash or gel.

I hate taking Fluff to the vets so I asked if it was absolutely necessary to take her back. He said that if I could get a good look at her mouth and see if it had healed ok then that would be fine but really he would prefer to check it himself. My friend who took us is a bit of a skeptic and said that he's after more money. I don't think this is the case but I'm more concerned with the added stress it will cause. Although she is reluctantly getting used to the routine of going now. Do you think taking her back for a check up is the responsible thing to do?

Hi Jan I've just seen your post before submitting this one. Tell Eric thanks for the message from him and Georgie. I'm sure Fluffy will appreciate their well wishes and kind thoughts when I tell her.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oh I'm so glad she's home, as I'm sure you are!

For a couple of mine the vet has been happy for me to keep an eye on things, where he would normally want them back for a check-up. For some cats it's much better than yet another stressful visit, just as long as you check carefully ..... which I'm very sure you will.

Well done HRH, wishing you all better soon. :) xx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

I am so pleased to hear that Her Fluffiness is home!

I understand about taking her back to the vet. It's a dilemma. I think I would take Pepz but that's my over cautiousness and the fact that 9 times out of 10 she isn't stressed by going. She was very upset on the way to the cat hotel when we moved which I found interesting. It all clearly had a different vibe to the usual journey to YKW. We have no choice but to take Edgar regularly at the moment but once he's in his carrier he's very laid back.

We all send many fusses, kisses and headbutts to darling Fluff. Hope you have a nice glass of wine tonight, Carol!
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks Sarah and Helen for your well wishes. It's interesting to get your views on whether I should take her back.

Sorry for being a bit of an air head today but I did forget to mention in my post that it is practically impossible to check Fluffy's mouth. Quite an important fact but my brain isn't functioning great today after only 2hours sleep last night. So therefore I won't be able to properly check whether her gums have healed well or not. The first vet I saw said that I should just look out for her pawing at her mouth or not eating on that side. But when the boss vet rang once I was home, he said if I was confident I could have a good look then it would be ok. However I'm not confident about that at all. I suspect I've answered my own question afterall. Fluffy may be a sweet little girl but she can put up one hell of a fight if she doesn't want you to do something.

Sarah I haven't any wine in :(
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Oh Carol....wish I could drop the wine off !!....If you are not confident in checking Fluffys mouth, I would go back to the vet, I know it's a pain, in many ways .....Barney hates his temperature taken with a passion and it upsets me to put him through it.... :oops: .but I know that in the end it is in his best interests, so a few minutes discomfort and stress may save his life one day.....I share your feelings however, so I fully understand......glad HRH is home ....xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Hi Julie :) Yes I think you're right about taking her back. Whenever I've tried in the past to open her mouth she just clenches her teeth together so I've no chance. Best opportunity is when she's mid yawn but even then I have to be ultra quick!! Poor Barney. I'd be just as upset in your situation with him. We feel it for them don't we. Thanks for the offer of bringing the wine :) We're only a short ferry ride away. Tickle Barney's tummy for me xx
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Morning Carol.

How's the beautiful girl this morning? Xx

Message from Dora.....

Hello Fluffy my Friendlie. My Mummy didn't let me on puter yesterdidays so I've only cort up wiv this Fred this mornings. I is sorry. I didn't mean to be a bad Friendlies. I is verry glad you is homies and the twip to YKW was okey dokies. I'll warn you though Friendlie..... I fink there's anuvver twip planned for next weekies. Wen you is up to it post on Dashings and we can workies out a plan of hack shun xx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Hope dear Fluff had a good night and you too, Carol. Let us know how the little girl is this morning.

Pepsi sends lots of love to her bestest Friendlie and will send her a proper message on DDDD!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Hope you both had a good night, and that HRH is feeling better today. xx
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

I think you should take her back, because he's the expert and knows what he's looking for so for your own peace of mind I think it's worth it. My vets don't charge for the follow up appointment after an op, it's included in the operation price so I doubt he's after your money!

Fusses to her ladyship :)
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

I agree Julia. I will take her back otherwise I'll be worried and if anything were to happen I'd feel so guilty. Have a feeling he will charge for the appointment but I know he's not after more money. It makes sense that after an op he would want to check she is healing ok. He wanted initially to see her this friday because he's away next week but I said that is too soon for Fluffy to cope with so it will be the week after next. Fusses have been given to her ladyship :)

Hi Shelly and Dora, Helen and Sarah. We both had a good night thanks. However I am a little worried about Fluffy. Ever since she got home from the vets she has been drinking an awful lot of water. Which is surprising really because she was on IV fluids the whole time she was at the vets. If she hadn't been on fluids then I would think it was normal. I hope it's nothing to worry about. It doesn't help that the poor girl has got a furball stuck in her throat. I can hear it and she keeps gulping. She's refused her normal paste so far. She's also not as keen on food as I'd hoped but this could be due to the furball.

Thanks for all your kind thoughts. I'm sure HRH is very grateful xx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

I wonder if Fluffy is drinking because of the furball, in the way that we might drink to shift something caught in our throat. Does she like cat milk? Perhaps that might help her to get it up as it's more viscous? If she's struggling with the furball she might be less inclined to eat. Can you massage her throat a little to try to shift it?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'm a bit hazy on this, but I have a vague recollection of a couple of mine drinking a lot after an op, and being told that they often have a slightly sore throat as they put a tube down it during the op?

My vet doesn't charge for a follow-up appointment after an op either, or to be more precise it's included in the charge for the op as a whole. If not 100% confident in checking myself, I would go back to the vet for the check-up too.

Gentle fusses to Her Royal Fluffiness. xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Carol.......Could you get some pumpkin at all ? ...not the pie filling type but the natural filling ? I know Pets at home sell the pumpkin food, which I get for Barney, (Hills or Applaws)....... when I couldn't get to the store, I gave him a little 'Squash' baby food on a spoon and it did help....keeping fingers crossed.......xx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

That's a good point from Helen. When Pepsi had her dental it took several days for her to meow again because of a sore throat. It was very disconcerting at the time as I wondered what had happened to my chatty girl.
Baggypants
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Baggypants »

I think mine drink after being operated on too - I assume their throat hurts because of the tube? Poor Fluffster xx
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Carol, sorry - only just catching up on this :oops: Fusses to Fluffy
jan1957
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by jan1957 »

Hi Carol
Is there a day that the vet does home visits? Cannot get ours to YKW and they do home visits on a Tuesday ... Very luckily. Worth asking?
And I had a sore throat for about 5 days after my last op beginning April so I really feel for HRH. Think Sarah's idea of cat milk sounds like a good one.
We're all wishing her a quick recovery xxx
Hope you're ok Carol, I can only imagine how your feeling and my heart goes out to you xxx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks so much for all your replies. They have really helped. I'd be lost without you.

It did cross my mind that her throat might be a bit sore so I'm relieved to see that some of you think the same. It would fit with all her symptoms of gulping and sounding hoarse when she's purring. So maybe it's not a furball but a sore throat. Or both!! Poor baby.

I've actually got some canned pumpkin in already. Got the one that was recommended on felinecrf.org for relief from constipation. Which she might also start with again if I'm not careful. So I think I'll try her with some. Thanks Julie for recommending that. I wouldn't have thought of it otherwise.

I've not got any cat milk in Sarah. But from what I remember Fluff likes it for a couple of sips and then goes off it. I'll have a think about whether it's worth a quick sprint to the local shop. Quick because I don't want to leave her Fluffsomeness on her own too long.

It seems also from what some of you have experienced that the anaesthetic could be making her thirsty too. I feel so much better now. Sheer panic has been kept at bay :)

Jan I hadn't thought of a home visit. I am quite a distance from our vets so he may not come this far. It could be worth my asking him though.

She's starting to eat a little more but seems only interested in chicken which isn't ideal.

Thanks again everyone for your kindness and advice. All fusses and well wishes will be given to the little girl xxxxx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Carol...sounds like she may be starting to perk up...if only slowly.....just a thought......Barney was a bit iffy about cat milk and it even occasionally made him sick .....I got some Kitten Milk and Bobs your Uncle !! he loved it and was fine with his tummy as well, plus his constipation problem seemed to ease.......fusses to the lovely Fluffy....xx