Taking oral antibiotics

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Saints76
New Cat Chatter

Taking oral antibiotics

Post by Saints76 »

Please can I ask advice. My Burmese is taking antibiotics for a cough and I went for liquid this time as last time it was a full scale battle getting them down her. However, she needs to take a dose two times a day and each time I have dosed her, she immediately foams at the mouth and dribbles all over the place for about 5 mins. She is distressed about the whole thing anyway and when offered a treat afterwards, she is convinced I am trying to poison her. I am concerned about the foaming as I have never seen this before but once it is all over and done with and I am forgiven (sort of) she is fine. Any advice would be gratefully recieved.
elastu
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: Taking oral antibiotics

Post by elastu »

Welcome to CC.

Your best bet would be to contact the vet now, especially as this holiday weekend appointments may be limited. Perhaps it is possible for the vet to give a long term antibiotic injection. Or at least the vet is the best person allay your fears
geckodiva
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Taking oral antibiotics

Post by geckodiva »

I have found that my lot at times look a little bit frothy mouthed after oral medication, whether tablet or liquid.
I have found that it usually happens if the medicine spends time in the mouth rather than going straight to the back of the throat where it is swallowed immediately. If the medicine is in the mouth it gives the cat an opportunity to produce a lot of saliva to help expel it back out. If it's a tablet I have found that a lot of tongue flicking then happens. But if it's liquid medicine they tend to let it ooze from the sides of a closed mouth.
It all gets very messy :?
But best to check with the vet all the same.