Advice Needed For Potential Future Mum!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
bytor
Returning Cat Chatter

Advice Needed For Potential Future Mum!

Post by bytor »

Been a long time since I've posted on here!

My Mum has recently been thinking about getting another puss after losing hers a while back. My puss, Georgie Porgie, is just over 6 years old and she hasn't been neutered (more about this below!). Kevin, the bloke in a flat downstairs from mine has a tom, Spock, that hasn't had the snip.

Both are indoor cats, Spock is over 6 months old (as far as I remember), maybe 8 or 9 months, but hasn't started spraying which is kind of odd.

So a few questions:

1) Is Georgie young enough to safely fall pregnant..?

2) Is Spock's...erm...equipment...working properly because he hasn't been marking his territory..?

3) When is the best time to introduce them..? Their heat cycles start in the Summer I think..? I know they start when they start rolling around on the floor but is it best to bring Spock upstairs when Georgie starts doing that or wait until she stops it..?

4) Will I need to do anything, like get a Felliway Diffuser, to erm...get them 'in the mood' or will their heat cycles be enough to let nature take its course..?

Also, Georgie is a bit of a weirdo lol. I want to have her neutered at some point but I can't have her fasting for the op because if she doesn't have food around she'll eat ANYTHING, including electric cables. :shock: So any advice on how I can get her done and how soon after she has her kittens would be great. :D
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Advice Needed For Potential Future Mum!

Post by booktigger »

Please get Georgie neutered, advise your neighbour to get his little boy neutered and take your mum to the local sanctuary for a pet, it's best for everyone, and there are too many homeless cats needing homes. If you are bothered about starving Georgie for an opp, you can ask the vet to keep her the night before the op.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi there. yes, as Booktigger says. Also if Georgie has reached 6 without kittening (how on earth have you coped with the regular calling all these years?) then I'd reckon she's far too old to start and it could be dangerous for her to conceive. And if Spock hasn't started spraying yet, chances are he will - and truly, having neutered and rehabilitated two feral toms, I can honestly say your neighbour will not want the stench and mess and possible aggression - and neither will the landlord.

I know the prospect of a pregnant girl and adorable kitties is tempting, but, trouble is, there are far too many people letting their cats have kittens, which results in thousands of unwanted kittens. Plus, horrible things can happen, such as caesarean sections needed, metritis (womb infection)...I won't go on. It isn't always plain sailing.

There are so many loving cats stuck in rescue shelters throughout the country - look up the rescue shelters listed on this site in your area, and although you'll be disappointed in missing out on motherhood for Georgie, although this probably isn't possible now, your mother will have done so much for one needy cat or kitten who is desperate for a home. To give that cat a chance of a forever home, well, think about it. It would be such a brilliant thing to do. I would really recommend this, as well as getting Georgie and Spock neutered.

Sorry to sound like a wet blanket but do hope your mother decides to rescue a cat - there are so many out there needing homes.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

I agree.

Pregnancy is hard work for a girl. Georgie is also getting to be middle aged now.

There are plenty of cats and kittens looking for a home!
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mrs Kane »

If your mum wants a new cat I'd really recommend shelters or reputable pet shops to buy her a kitten/cat. Leave the breeding to the experts ;)

Remember, your 2 cats might mate but what about the other kittens left after your mum has picked one? Are you seriously going to cart them off to the shelter or random people? Only a shady pet shop would take them without a licence or good breeding reputation from yourself, which means they could end up anywhere!

Pregnant cats take a lot of work and it's not healthy for a middle aged cat to give birth. Would you like to give birth at the age of 40? I think not! Imagine how she might feel after something like that after having no experience.
There's also lots of problems that could ensue from birthing late in life for the first time. Such as bowel issues and incontinence in late pregnancy and after that possibly for the rest of her life.

Please reconsider what you're thinking about and instead try rehoming. If you're really stuck on getting a kitten then please look to a trusted local breeder.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree with the others, there are so many unwanted kttens out there in need of homes and I do think you'd be taking a risk allowing Georgie to get pregnant for the first time at her age, as well as be bringing yet more kittens into a world that already has more kittens than there are homes for them.

Kitten season has just started, our rescue is already starting to take in this years unwanted waifs, if your mum must have a kitten, please, please give a home to one from a rescue.