Anyone have a cat on long-term steroids?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Anyone have a cat on long-term steroids?

Post by MarkB »

Some might remember that Kylie has chronic diarrhea/sloppy poos. After trying regular ABs and Metronizidole with no difference, we did bloods and a poo sample last week. The vet said the poo sample came up negative for everything, including Giardia - just the usual expected bacteria. Her bloods are good - in fac, he said he liver and kidney results were excellent for a cat coming up to 16. He said there were two other possibilities, bacterial overgrowth or one of the IBDs. He said the bacterial overgrowth could be checked by sending blood away to measure folates and B12. If it is IBD, it should respond to Steroids. She has started on Prednicare. 2 a day for 10 days and then one a day indefinitely.

I should have asked if he is sending blood off to check for overgrowth.

Anyway, the question is, does anyone have a cat on long term steroids and have there been any issues? - he said he had no qualms about her being on them with her blood results.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Anyone have a cat on long-term steroids?

Post by Crewella »

My old Minnie had a long history of gut problems - over the years we solved it by cutting out cereals, then fish, sometimes antibiotics helped, but after about 17 they had all stopped making a difference and her guts were permanently inflamed so she went on Prednisolone. She was on that for the last couple of years of her life and it definitely helped and got her to the ripe old age of 19. It did increase her appetite, which was a good thing in her case and we already fed her several small meals a day, and she showed no other side effects.

I really hope they work as well for Kylie. xx
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

My Marilyn was recently put on them- supposed to be for life for the worst ibd my vet has ever seen with pancreatitis and a liver problem all connected, Marilyn is one of those difficult cats and I could only get steroid down her in food that made her gut worse although while on them initially she ate really well and I was getting them down her in bland food, then she got bored! She is now on rc gastro intestinal moderate calorie dried and a couple tins of applaws chicken a day and tummy heaps better so off all steroids now and seems to be doing ok, she can tolerate pinching the odd bite of Felix in jelly but I have to be careful as now most foods give her the runs, where as 12 months ago she could eat absolutely anything. So while long term steroids I think are worth it if they help, but if diet is a possibility it might be a steroid alternative......
My vet seemed to think that overall the benefits of steroids in such circumstances really outweigh the risks of long term ibd or similar.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks Helen & Sally.

I had tried cutting out various things in her diet, although not fish - which is her favourite thing in the world. She always ate anything without any problem.

Although she eats well, she has lost 2kg over the last couple of years - although having said that, she is normal weight now. She always hovered at around 6.5kg and at her heaviest, was 7.05kg. She was weighed 6 months ago and weighed 4.6kg. A couple of months later, she had gained 300g

She is fine in herself. Eating OK, grooming etc.

She is definitely more mellow now. She is well aware that there is a little girl on the scene, but isn't bothered about seeking her out and terrorising her as she did with Willow.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Molly was on steroids for the last 4 years of her life, we did 6 monthly bloods and they were always fine. The trick with steroids is to find the lowest dose that keeps symptoms at bbay.if the vet suspects IBD, regular B 12 injections can help
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

all Trigger's longstanding gut problems cleared up virtually overnight once he was on daily metacam - is that an option for Kylie? also curcumin is a natural anti-inflammatory if she would take it
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Hector was on a low dose of Pred for the last 5-6 years, at the time the vet told me cats tolerate steroids better than dogs and humans. Regular blood tests showed his body coped well with them and as you know he died of something completely unrelated. He was on them for chronic rhinitis and IBD and they did wonders for his tummy along with the Purina HA.
Sue Goddard
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Sue Goddard »

My beloved Bailey had IBD after his colon was removed (due to megacolon ) he did very well on a diet exclusively of Hills Z/D. It is hydrolised protein which is better digested.

worth a try ( although tins expensive from vet as prescription only )
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks everyone. It sounds like she should be OK on it. As for food, she really is a cat that knows what she likes. I will have to try some other foods if the steroid don't help. We tried her on Metacam a couple of times Kay, but it didn't make any difference.

The problem is getting her to take them. She isn't as keen on treats as she used to be. So far I have managed by crushing them and mixing into Lick-e-lix.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Having been on steroids for a short time myself recently I can sympathise with Kylie, they're really bitter :(
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

She missed last nights as the Lick-e-lix was untouched. I did 'down the hatch' this morning - although it took 3 attempts and we ended up with an upset Kylie. I need to find a long-term solution.

I remember buying some pill-pockets years ago. Will see if they are still available. I used to make 2 or 3 out of each one.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Meandmymunki »

That exactly the trouble I had with Marilyn :(
It's so hard as I could get her to eat it in some things randomly but that's no good with steroids it has to be regular.
So am just relieved that for the moment I can control it with diet but if that changes I don't know what I will do. Think you can get liquid form tho Mark, if Kylie is easily caught it can be easier to just squirt it in.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

She was OK having it in Lick-e-lix tonight, but the mornings are a problem - I think she is probably a bit nauseous then (I have chronic gut issues, so can empathise)
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Meandmymunki »

Could you ask the vet if she could have dose all at once? Marilyn was on 5mg once a day if that helps.....
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks Sally. I was wondering that too. I will ask him, although only another week on double dose.

Any idea how long it takes to have an effect? - I thought he poos were beginning to firm up, but she had violent diarrhea this morning.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Meandmymunki »

I noticed her eating more as a result of the steroids after about 5 days but the poos were still quite hit and miss until we went more hardcore on the diet, which was then more effective for her than the steroids but they do all vary. I know they wouldn't look to start reducing dose until they had it under control on the higher dose.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks Sally, I think I need to be stricter on diet. There doesn't seem to be much improvement.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

We just had a solid poo :) - I can't remember the last time that happened. I took her off steroids on Sunday. She has been eating ZD, but also Whiskas in jelly pouches, which I was concerned about. I am wondering if it was the Felix causing her upset stomach. I am sure it has changed recently. Anyway, hoping tonight wasn't just a fluke. It wasn't a massive one, so hoping for another one by morning.
Suze
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Suze »

That's good to read Mark. Well done Kylie! :)

How are you finding the z/d? I've been reluctant to put Tiger on it because I've read mixed reviews about giving it to IBD cats. I'm worried Tiger might have lost weight though so maybe I should bite the bullet & give it a go. Does it seem palatable & has Kylie been eating it happily?
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

It does seem palatable and she was eating it for the first couple of days. Now she is ignoring it in favour of wet food. I had an idea a few days ago of just switching brands and seeing if it made any difference. I switched her wet from Felix in jelly to Whiskas. I have no way of telling if this has made a difference, but hopeful. It's funny, but I thought that Felix had changed recently as she seemed less keen on it.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Meandmymunki »

Ah yay great news Mark. Fingers x'd it stays that way!
Wonky has started to have small amounts of Felix back too and so far so good.....
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I remembered reading about that for humans. Apparently if you remove the offending allergen from a diet for a while, you can often reintroduce it later. The problem is finding the culprit in the first place. Very easy saying all you have to do is feed hypoallergenic food, but if they won't touch it, what can you do? Feeding 'bad' food is the lesser of the evils compared to starving. Not so easy to get a 16 year old cat to eat what is good for them. It's funny, but I hadn't bought Whiskas for a couple of years and only bought a box for Ingrid as I want her to eat a mix of food so she doesn't become too set in her ways. At one time Kylie wouldn't touch it, but seems really keen on it now. I am hoping the issue was something in Felix.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

That does sound promising, Mark. Hopefully you're starting to get somewhere. All paws crossed. xx
SarahTownie
New Cat Chatter

Post by SarahTownie »

My cat has been on Budesonide for 5 days now, it is one of the new steroids they are giving to cats that may have IBD. We are unsure if she has it, further tests need to be done. But she is getting stingy with her food like your cat is.

Do you mind telling me if your cat had any other symptoms, other than the loose stool? Did the cat vomit at all?