Pre-test before FeLV vaccine

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Pre-test before FeLV vaccine

Post by MarkB »

Ingrid is having her first vaccs tomorrow. The nurse said she needs to have a blood test to check if she has come into contact with the virus when she was a stray. Has anyone heard of this?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Pre-test before FeLV vaccine

Post by Crewella »

I only know of the usual 'snap' test (FIV/FeLV Combo) test that is often done on newly rescued strays by many rescues. Good luck for tomorrow. xx
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

That is probably it Helen. She said it will take 10 minutes to get a result.

Does that mean it is just a pin prick?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I think it's a bit more than a pin prick, and every time I've taken one they've had their throat shaved for it as for a normal blood test, but I think they only need a small amount of blood and can usually get a result in 10/15 minutes and do the test there and then at the surgery. At my surgery, anyway.

This is the usual type of test:

http://www.drugs.com/vet/snap-combo-fel ... t-kit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Thanks Helen,

Her neck is still shaved from her spay - hopefully that will be OK.

I would say I will give her some of her favourite treat tomorrow, but she has it every day anyway :D

Has to be done.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Ah well, you'll just have to give her double! ;)
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Yes, Edgar had this the first day we took him home from rescue before his first vacs. The little girl we fostered for a while at Christmas also had it. It was no bother to either of them.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Not giving her a whole can Helen! :D

Her and Kylie split a can of John West no-drain tuna.

Anyway, glad to say that she was negative, so they gave her the full vaccs

I was asked if I wanted to test for FIV, but I thought it a bit pointless - just wondered what others thought?
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Great news that Ingrid is negative for FeLV. What a relief!!

I have mixed feelings about testing for FIV. In a way I would rather have not known that Harvey was positive. However, having that knowledge does have it's advantages. For instance if you suspect they are coming down with something then you have to get them to a vet sooner rather than later whereas with a healthy cat you might wait and see if they improve. There's also the issue of booster vaccinations. This website is brilliant: http://www.v63.net/catsanctuary/fiv_vac ... nes_anchor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scroll down to the second point as the first one doesn't apply.

The problem is that the purpose of the vaccination is to cause the body to raise an immune response to the vaccine. But the act of raising this response can increase the amount of FIV virus in the body. I know that Bob and Barbara would be only too happy to answer any questions you have about whether to test Ingrid. I made the decision to stop Harvey's boosters. My vet was anti FIV so I had to do my own research. The catchat vet helped as she gave good arguments for and against vaccinations. I posted on the FIV section of the forum too. It's a controversial subject and therefore a personal decision. If you have confidence in your vet then they should be able to help advise you. But make sure they are knowledgeable about FIV first. Harvey had his first couple of boosters so had a good core established.

There's no reason to test Ingrid out of concern of her passing it on to Dom or Kylie. Unless she was to have a vicious fight with either of them which is unlikely. I decided not to get Fluffy tested even though my vet strongly advised it at the time. There was no point at her time of life and I'd already stopped her boosters due to her having CKD. So pleased the little girl is settling in well. Give her fusses from me :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

The decision to test Greebo, and to then vaccinate, was made before I took him on and I'm grateful for that as I've not dealt with FIV cats before. I'm catching up though, and have been researching online, including that site that Carol posted.

Personally, I think I would have tested, as I'm a bit of a control freak and would always rather know than not, but it really is just about how you feel about it.

Well done, good girl and bon appetit to Ingrid! :D
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Yay Mark, good news on the FeLV front :) - enjoy your treat Ingrid!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I'm sure she will Ria - It is the only time she cried for her food :)

As the vet predicted, she is quite dopey now and in her favourite sleeping place - on the floor on a fleece that was thrown onto an armchair with a bit draped on the floor - of all the comfortable places she could choose to sleep!!! :)

PS - Thanks for the info Carol. She is very young and we don't think she could have been stray for very long. There was no sign of any injury, so I doubt if she had been bitten.

PS - I meant to ask how Fluffy's appetite is. Hopefully improved :)
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Glad she found somewhere to settle even though it wasn't the comfiest of places :D . Yes it sounds unlikely then that she's had a bite. She should be fine. We need more pics when she's a little more recovered. We don't want to miss out on her growing up!!

Thanks for asking after Fluffy. Her appetite has improved quite a lot. She is still favouring being handfed though. Food must taste so much better that way :roll: .
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Glad her appetite has picked up. It is so worrying when they won't eat. I found that with Alice. She seemed to favour me holding the dish for her :)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

She is really zonked out. Barely lifting her head off the fleece. She is purring and padding, but just very sleepy.