Behaviour after abortion and neutering

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
katn2912
New Cat Chatter

Behaviour after abortion and neutering

Post by katn2912 »

Hi everyone, this is my first post *waves*

I have recently moved back to the UK from France and have brought my cat with me. She was wild as a kitten and I think she was around 3 months old when we very first started putting food out for her. Since then, she has become a proper pet cat and we decided to go through the steps to get her a passport and bring her to the UK.

When she went to be spayed, the vet told me (by text) she was pregnant. By the time I got back to the vet to pick her up, he'd aborted the 4 kittens and done the neutering.

She was obviously a bit out of sorts for a couple of weeks but OK by the time we travelled to the UK. Her tummy is completely healed, but I've noticed that her nipples still have lumps underneath them as if there is still milk, or could it be something else more serious? She's been a bit scatty since we got back to England, but I'm putting that down to being kept inside and just generally being in a new, more noisy environment, hopefully nothing hormonal caused by the abortion and neutering.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal or if I should take her to a vet? After the long journey from France in the car I'm reluctant to get her back in the cat crate to go to the vet, but of course if it has to be done, it has to be done.

Any help gratefully received. Many thanks!
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Behaviour after abortion and neutering

Post by greenkitty »

Hi & welcome

I don't have an experience with this, is it inflamed, red or hot? Or is it causing any discomfort if you touch that area?

I would imagine it will settle down in time but maybe put a call into the vet to see if it's normal.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

Hi, it is normal for them to have enlarged nipples forever once they have been pregnant and milk residue can take a few weeks to disappear completely. While it is a big surgery for them at the time (depending how far pregnant) they generally bounce back very quickly and are none the wiser. As an ex feral kitten she will have found the move stressful so as long as eating and drinking and nothing seems sore or inflamed I would just let her settle for a while.
She is lucky to have you and I'm sure she will be fine in no time :)
katn2912
New Cat Chatter

Post by katn2912 »

Thank you to you both - you've put my mind at ease! I thought I was being such a bad mother, dragging her to this cold country and putting her through all that surgery, but she really has done so well since then. She's eating, playing, drinking and very curious about all the new things, so I'm sure she'll be fine. She doesn't mind at all if I touch her nipples so that's a good sign. They're not red or inflamed, I'll just keep an eye on her.

Thank you again!