An ear infection - AGAIN

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

An ear infection - AGAIN

Post by meriad »

I was away for the weekend and when I got home I notice that Harry had some fur loss and some odd raised spots on his ears. So off to the vet this morning who did a skin scape which thankfully came back all clear, so no mites etc. But what she did discover is that Harry has yet again got an ear infection. He's the most difficult cat to get ear drops into and I'm already dreading the start of the 'torture' process tonight :(

But I'm just wondering. Harry sneezes quite a bit and they're not dainty sneezes but quite loud ones that regularly (and sorry tmi) produce quite a bit of snot. Also of all my cats he's the only one that regularly has gunk in the corner of his eyes - again not watery gunk but sort of pale green and slimy (if you know what I mean) - and again sorry if tmi....

Now I've got the ear drops and I do have another follow on appointment next week Saturday and will obviously discuss with the vet, but for now do any of you have any ideas what I could be dealing with or what I could try to help Harry. I'm fairly certain the ears infections, gunky eyes and snotty sneezes are linked but just wondering what it could be. Do cats have sinus infections?

So figured I'd brainstorm here - any ideas anyone?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: An ear infection - AGAIN

Post by Crewella »

Poor Harry, I remember you struggling with the ear drops before.

I'm afraid I have little experience of this, but I was researching snuffly cats recently (Pugwash is permanently slightly snuffly but no discharge so we've decided to leave him be for the moment) and I did bookmark this thread just in case.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread. ... g-problems" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't remember any mention of associated ear problems in anything I read, but I tend to agree with you, it does make sense if the two are linked.

Hopefully it's nothing too serious and you can get him sorted. Good luck with the ear drops, and give your gorgeous boy a fuss from me. xx
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Thanks Helen - I'll pass on the fuss before I start the ear drops tonight :lol:

and thanks for that article. Harry may well have been exposed to one of the viruses as for the first two years of his life he was kept in (from what I gather) not exactly suitable surroundings to be used as a stud but thankfully he - and all the other cats he was with - was signed over to the rescue. Because of his sneezing I did have him tested for the various virus's last year (herpes, calici, clamydia) and they at the time all came back negative, but then again he may be a mild carrier and just not shedding when the swab was taken?

I'm going to give the ear drops a go for the next 10 days but do more research and then have a good long chat with the vet next week :D There must be a reason that we're just not figuring out
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Interesting article Helen. I hope you get poor Harry sorted Ria, or is it poor you? I don't envy your battles over the next 10 days!
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Don't forget Herpes can give a false negative result...