Wobbly on back legs

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Pinkcat1771
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Wobbly on back legs

Post by Pinkcat1771 »

lilynmitz wrote:wow, that certainly is an action plan. A word of caution though, introduce all these changes slowly, or you'll find them all on the carpet 10 minutes later!
Haha, yep he's always been a sticky cat so that's definitely the plan. Have a lovely evening!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

As long as it doesn't react with the Metacam and he will take it, I can't see any harm in the turmeric.

I don't know if vets go by the Hypocratic Oath, same as doctors, but I believe Hypocrates said let food be thy medicine and medicine thy food. Big Pharma doesn't like stuff like turmeric because they can't patent it! They don't run big tests on herbs and spices because there is no money in it, not because it doesn't work. :roll:

Big fusses to Dempsey
Pinkcat1771
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Pinkcat1771 »

bobbys girl wrote:As long as it doesn't react with the Metacam and he will take it, I can't see any harm in the turmeric.

I don't know if vets go by the Hypocratic Oath, same as doctors, but I believe Hypocrates said let food be thy medicine and medicine thy food. Big Pharma doesn't like stuff like turmeric because they can't patent it! They don't run big tests on herbs and spices because there is no money in it, not because it doesn't work. :roll:

Big fusses to Dempsey
Thanks, yep agree about the drug companies, nature certainly has its own medicine so we are going to give it a try! If we can give Dempsey some extra time it will be worth it! I'm waiting on the other products to be delivered but have got him on Metacam one day, turmeric the next so I'm alternating it, figured that might be safer. Also he had cottage cheese and flaxseed oil last night, he loves it!

I haven't discussed this with the vet, thought he might think I'm a witch or nutter! Some professionals and people in general are very sceptical and dismissive of things like this!

Anyway thanks for your input. Will keep you posted on his progress.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm not personally a follower of 'alternative' medicine, but I do support anyone who does and wants to try to help their pet. I would strongly suggest that you run the risk of a lecture/dismissal and tell the vet, though. If there is something there that might help, then it might also be strong enough to cause a problem or react with something else that he is on. Your vet can't really assess the situation properly with only half the information .... I think it's risky and a bit unfair not to tell them.

Give him a fuss from me. xx
Pinkcat1771
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Pinkcat1771 »

Crewella wrote:I'm not personally a follower of 'alternative' medicine, but I do support anyone who does and wants to try to help their pet. I would strongly suggest that you run the risk of a lecture/dismissal and tell the vet, though. If there is something there that might help, then it might also be strong enough to cause a problem or react with something else that he is on. Your vet can't really assess the situation properly with only half the information .... I think it's risky and a bit unfair not to tell them.

Give him a fuss from me. xx
Hiya, I hear you. I might just check with him that he doesn't think anything will affect him or work against the Metacam. He's actually a new vet I've just changed to and seems very nice. I'd been taking Dempsey to another vet for six weeks and he thought it was feline herpes virus and kind of gave up so I went to this new vet for a second opinion and he xrayed and diagnosed him straight away.

My husband and I are very into complimentary medicine, not so much alternative but things that can compliment traditional medicines. We've used these on ourselves with past issues to good effect so I hope we can do the same for my little baby.

I've read a lot of good stories on the net about people using the PetAlive C-Caps for dogs or cats with cancer.

Just giving him big hugs now, he's loves his cuddles!

Thanks again for caring. Love this forum, everyone is so nice and helpful. Great to have like minded cat lovers to talk to!
Pinkcat1771
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Pinkcat1771 »

Pinkcat1771 wrote:
lilynmitz wrote:wow, that certainly is an action plan. A word of caution though, introduce all these changes slowly, or you'll find them all on the carpet 10 minutes later!
Haha, yep he's always been a sticky cat so that's definitely the plan. Have a lovely evening!
Oops meant sicky not sticky!
Pinkcat1771
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Pinkcat1771 »

Hi everyone, Dempsey is starting to suss me out so its already getting harder to hide tablets! Any good ideas? Also he doesn't like the salmon oil so no good on his food! Thanks, hope your furry friends are all ok xxx
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

What is he on? Pills and/or fluids? When Lily was on metacam i just used to squirt it into the top of her food and mix it in a little with the gravy, which disguised the taste. Pills I used to hide in Webbox (which luckily she liked) - cut off a piece about 1.5-2 cm long, cut a little slot in the middle and stuff the pill in, feed to cat. Most of the time it worked first time, sometimes the pill dropped out so we had to try again, but we did this for years and as far as I could tell Lily never realised how heavily medicated she was! At the end she was on about 7-8 medications a day. Never had such a sickly cat, but amazingly she outlived all the others! Others have used ham bits of tuna or chicken or whatever the really cat likes to hide the pill in.
Pinkcat1771
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Pinkcat1771 »

lilynmitz wrote:What is he on? Pills and/or fluids? When Lily was on metacam i just used to squirt it into the top of her food and mix it in a little with the gravy, which disguised the taste. Pills I used to hide in Webbox (which luckily she liked) - cut off a piece about 1.5-2 cm long, cut a little slot in the middle and stuff the pill in, feed to cat. Most of the time it worked first time, sometimes the pill dropped out so we had to try again, but we did this for years and as far as I could tell Lily never realised how heavily medicated she was! At the end she was on about 7-8 medications a day. Never had such a sickly cat, but amazingly she outlived all the others! Others have used ham bits of tuna or chicken or whatever the really cat likes to hide the pill in.
Thanks, will give some of these a try. Tonight I just mixed the powders in a little cat milk and syringed it in. He seemed OK with that. He's such a fussy eater and has never been one to polish off his wet food, whatever I give him! Got him on the Canagan and also offered him some tinned sardine and mackerel earlier!
Pinkcat1771
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Pinkcat1771 »

lilynmitz wrote:What is he on? Pills and/or fluids? When Lily was on metacam i just used to squirt it into the top of her food and mix it in a little with the gravy, which disguised the taste. Pills I used to hide in Webbox (which luckily she liked) - cut off a piece about 1.5-2 cm long, cut a little slot in the middle and stuff the pill in, feed to cat. Most of the time it worked first time, sometimes the pill dropped out so we had to try again, but we did this for years and as far as I could tell Lily never realised how heavily medicated she was! At the end she was on about 7-8 medications a day. Never had such a sickly cat, but amazingly she outlived all the others! Others have used ham bits of tuna or chicken or whatever the really cat likes to hide the pill in.
Thanks for the webbox tip, worked a treat! For now anyway, you know what they are like :o)
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Result! Pleased to hear it's working. How's he doing today?

My vet had never heard of using Webbox either, surprisingly. She said she was in awe of people who can keep pilling their cats, and I said "Lily has no idea she's on pills", and told her about our Webbox trick, so hopefully there's a few more people round here managing a bit better now. :-)
Pinkcat1771
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Pinkcat1771 »

lilynmitz wrote:Result! Pleased to hear it's working. How's he doing today?

My vet had never heard of using Webbox either, surprisingly. She said she was in awe of people who can keep pilling their cats, and I said "Lily has no idea she's on pills", and told her about our Webbox trick, so hopefully there's a few more people round here managing a bit better now. :-)

Thanks, also got the Natures Menu soft treats for him today. They are really squidgy so great for hiding his meds in too.

Today he's a little snuffly and snotty but still his usual happy self. He's an indoor cat which helps, so I can always keep a very close eye on him. I've had a few cats in my life and loved them all dearly but never had one as cuddly and affectionate as Dempsey. I used to carry him round everywhere in the house when he was a baby and even now he loves being picked up and cuddled for ages!

Thanks for caring. Have a great weekend.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

You too. Have a really special weekend with the lovely cuddly boy :-)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'm glad you've managed to find a way, well done, and fusses to your boy. :)
Pinkcat1771
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Pinkcat1771 »

Crewella wrote:I'm glad you've managed to find a way, well done, and fusses to your boy. :)

Thanks, yep he seems ok at mo, he's been enjoying some sunshine with me in the garden today. Even though he's an indoor cat he comes out in the garden with me but never wanders off.

At the moment I spend my life googling cat cancer treatments! I'm certainly learning about lots of different herbs and natural methods which is very interesting. I wonder if anyone on here has ever used colloidal silver as an antibiotic only there are loads of great articles on it and its success in pets. may try it if he gets an infection at any point which the vet seemed to think he would.

Also Essaic Tea which is a Canadian herbal tea made up of four herbs and roots, google it! Fascinating stuff!

Also check out CV247 and cancer treatment in cats and dogs. A friend in France used this and her dog lived five years after diagnosis! There are some incredible things out there.

My vet is looking into a few of these, I chatted with him last week about holistic options and surprisingly he was very open to it. One of the other vets there actually uses herbal remedies so is calling me Monday. It's so nice to find such a helpful practice, wish I'd found them before!

At the moment he's just on the grain free diet, PetAlive c-caps and turmeric, oh and the Metacam every evening of course. And lots of love and cuddles!!

Sorry to waffle on, just makes me feel better :o)

Happy Halloween to all!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Waffle away! :D

I'd so pleased your new vet is supportive - having a good relationship with your vet is priceless. xx
Pinkcat1771
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Pinkcat1771 »

Crewella wrote:Waffle away! :D

I'd so pleased your new vet is supportive - having a good relationship with your vet is priceless. xx
Yep totally agree.

I struggle to sleep at night at the moment though, worrying about him! I was up at four this morning sitting in the kitchen with him! Just love him so much! Took him back up to bed with me for cuddles which is comforting for us both!

Hubby prefers Dempsey to sleep in the kitchen at night really!
Pinkcat1771
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Pinkcat1771 »

Hi,

Hope all your little fur babies are doing well. Just thought I'd update you on Dempsey as I've not posted on here much since he was diagnosed with the nasal tumour last October. I'm pleased to say he's doing really well at the moment. All the sneezing and runny nose has stopped, just the odd snuffle but that's it. He's full of life and has a great appetite. He had a check up at the vets last week and blood tests which all came back good. He's put all his weight back on he lost initially and is a steady 4kg which is about what he's always been. The vet is amazed and thinks he's doing great! Here's what I've got him on!

Breakfast:

1/2 tin Canagan grain free tuna
1/2 Pet Alive C-Cap tablet (astragalus root, echinacea, cats claw, milk thistle, mistletoe and ashwagandha)
1/8 Swanson Triple Mushroom complex capsule (maitake, reishi, shiitake)
5 drops of Pet Wellbeing LifeGold liquid (blend of whole chaga, blessed thistle herb, burdock root, red clover, sheep sorrel, slippery elm bark and turkey rhubarb root)
3 drops Pet Alive Kidney Support (burdock root, cleavers and dandelion)
3kg cat measure of Metacam
I find so long as I mix everything in well he eats it.

Lunch:

1/8 400mg turmeric capsule mixed into 'Smilla' multi vitamin paste plus some 'Gim Cat' cell protect duo paste.

Some fresh tuna.

Dinner is the same but no Metacam and he has adlib dry Canagan chicken food and a water fountain so fresh water all day.

I'm really pleased and just hope he continues to do well and am so glad I did all that online research now! Thankfully my vet is very open to trying complimentary treatments and thinks he should stay on them.

Have a great weekend everyone! :D
Catstmq
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Catstmq »

Hi there Pinkcat, thanks for sharing this. I hadn't joined this forum when the thread started. My cat, Zara had an ultrasound on Thursday which showed a mass on her kidney. I'm still processing this and have not ruled out doing a biopsy and possibly trying chemo if it's an option. She's nearly 18 though and I'm not sure it's fair to cause her so much stress.

So I have spent two evenings googling alternative cat cancer treatments. I tend to feel a bit sceptical about success stories in blogs in case they are just trying to sell some product. It was great to read that you've managed to keep Dempsey healthy and happy over this many months and I'll definitely do some more targeted googling now and speak to my vet about the treatments you mentioned. To be honest I'm worried that my time left with Zara could be very short and of course it really could be but several months of quality life is something to hope for.
Thanks for sharing and hope Dempsey continues to do well. Xx
Pinkcat1771
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Pinkcat1771 »

Hi Catstmq

So sorry to hear about Zara. I really hope some of the meds I'm giving Dempsey can help her. I think the LifeGold liquid and PetAlive C-Caps have made a significant difference but it's hard to know which ones are really working so I just stick with all of them! I agree with you, I didn't want to put him through chemo so figured it was worth asking Mr Google what could help! After many hours of serious surfing I decided on my list as an action plan. Immediately I felt better as I knew I was doing something to try and help him and nothing on the list could do him any harm so it was worth a try! keep me posted and best wishes x
Pinkcat1771
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Pinkcat1771 »

I know it’s been a long time since I posted on here about Dempsey. He recovered from his nose tumour two years ago. But he still had constipation issues which after recent tests the vet thinks is now Megacolon. Last night he went wobbly again so back in vets today. She took his blood pressure which was very high 206! So now on BP tablets to try and bring it down. He’s eating fine and back home asleep in bed now. He passed lots of poo last night so emptied out too. Got to go back weds for recheck and hopefully by then he will be less wobbly!
merklee001
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by merklee001 »

Treatment with blood clots in legs. This is certainly can occur due to accidents or bumping. Here is a topic in detail about blood clots in legs.