Advocate?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Advocate?

Post by Joanne_ »

I know Advocate is a flea and wormer in one so is it safe for me to use on my cat when he was only wormed 2 weeks ago? He is having flea issues so really needs de-fleaing but I do not want to use it if its not safe to yet.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Advocate?

Post by Crewella »

I think to some degree it depends what you used to worm him? You could safely use a different product that has a different active ingredient - that way you're not overdosing.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Catfan5 »

Hi Joanne, Two week gap should be fine but maybe next time use droncit or drontal tapewormer (assuming you used a different wormer) every six months if you're using Advocate as that's the worm it doesn't cover.
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Jan »

We give Blackie Advocate every 4-5 weeks, but I queried the use of Milbemax every 3 months with the vet who said as the cat is a hunter, then 3 monthly Milbemax is advisable. She told me a 8-10 day gap between the 2 treatments was fine.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I always used Milbemax as I found it easier to give. I remember years ago when Kylie foamed at the mouth with Drontal. My new vet only sells Drontal, so I got some yesterday. I didn't know that it is now film-coated. I managed to give Kylie one quite easily last night - although they are bigger than Milbemax. Maybe it was just luck :)

I will order a few online as they are only about £1.50 and no prescription needed. I would happily give Milbemax if it is more effective. Does anyone know the difference between the two? - ie does one cover wider spectrum of nasties?
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by nannymcfee »

I no longer use advocate, i have used Eliminall ( Fipronil) for fleas/tics for the past 2 years,

it cost about £11.60 on line for 6 pipettes,and so far has worked very well.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Drontal and milbemax both cover all the worms, so either is fine. I do like the tiny size of the milbemax myself, and the fact that they are coated. I haven't used frontal in years for that reason, and hadn't realised they were coated either!

A 2 week gap between treatments should be fine. The only danger is if they have the same active ingredient, as an overdose of pesticides can lead to tremors, seizures and even death in extreme cases. I coild be wrong, but I believe it is fine to use drontal at the same time as frontline.... But do check that before going ahead as my memory may not serve me correctly and it is always best to be sure!
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Joanne_ »

Crewella wrote:I think to some degree it depends what you used to worm him? You could safely use a different product that has a different active ingredient - that way you're not overdosing.

It was Panacur. I have still nit given the flea solution yet but am thinking of next week as will be a month since his wormer.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Ah you are safe with a month for sure! Panacur has fenbendazole as the active ingredient right? Sme as parazole? If so, you can use a spot on at the same time. Parazole is a GREAT wormer, but hard to get into them. They have changed the packaging now though, and include all the bits you need! With any luck they will make it mouse flavoured next!