Helping an existing cat when a new one has been adopted.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
bobster38
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Helping an existing cat when a new one has been adopted.

Post by bobster38 »

Hi.
I have a rescue cat who I adopted with his sister in 2012. His sister passed away in January and after a little while I thought it would be nice for him to have a new friend to play with or just for company whilst Im at work. After a lot of searching I found a lovely little girl, half his age, half his size and quite timid. I picked her up Friday and she is settling in very well, still in hiding but coming out at night and eating and toileting well. My unforeseen problem lies with Fanta, by boy cat. He's a big daft soft 3 year old and my pride and joy. He's always had 24/7 access outside but would sleep with me every night and just pop out to roam during the day. Since getting Jemima, the new rescue cat, I cant allow him 24/7 access outside as she will need to stay in for a few weeks to get accustomed to the house. Over the last 4 days it has been getting increasingly difficult to get him to come him. I think its two reasons, firstly because he knows theres a small cat somewhere hiding in the house (he has seen her briefly) and secondly because of the lack of access outside when he pleases. Last night it took 3 hours to get him in. He was padding around the door but just wouldnt come in. At midnight I finally managed to pick him up from the garden and bring him in. So the choices are to let him out all night as I would need to lock up (not something Im happy about) or to keep him in until she settles. Currently he's spent all day in my bedroom cupboard and will only come and join me when I lie on the bed (he does purr away when this happens). Just wondered if people had ideas how to make it easier on the lad. I have Feliway diffusers plugged in and Jemima is in her own room during the day although this isnt helping him. Just hate to see him unhappy I guess and stupidly I didnt factor this into the equation when adopting Jemima.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Helping an existing cat when a new one has been adopted.

Post by Crewella »

Personally, I'd keep him in for a couple of days and move the introduction process along so they actually meet, briefly and under supervision. It might help him when he's actually had a chance to check her out and she's not just some unknown strange cat smell in his house. Sometimes, timid cats will take the line of least resistance and just avoid the situation, so keeping him in will kind of force him to get used to being in the house with the new strange cat smell. Scent swopping is a good idea, there's great advise on introductions here:

http://www.catchat.org/hierarchies.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've taken on a couple of new cats over the last year or so, and I hate the settling in process - I know how you must feel. I hope it all calms down and your lad is a happy boy again soon. Let us know how you get on.
bobster38
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by bobster38 »

Thanks. I'll keep him in until the weekend and take it from there. If I do decide to let him out then at least I can stay up with the door open and tackle getting him in without worrying about no sleep and getting up for work. Strange that he wont come out of my bedroom when she is in the bedroom next door. He could come downstairs and have then run of the rooms there. Possibly because he feels safest in that room as thats where he sleeps. I'll keep you posted.
bobster38
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by bobster38 »

So Fanta seemed to be a lot more chilled Thursday and Friday so I bit the bullet and let him out Saturday morning. Saturday evening I was living to regret it as he wouldn't come in. It took me until 3am on Sunday to coax him in. I think I should keep him in at least until he's totally happy with Jemima (the new arrival).
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree with that - he will come to terms with it, given the chance. Good luck.