Lumps at vaccination site . So distraught. Please help

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Xenaprincess
New Cat Chatter

Lumps at vaccination site . So distraught. Please help

Post by Xenaprincess »

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for reading this and helping me! I had taken my cat to get her rabies vaccination on April 14, 2015 and then another vaccination for FEliv on May 7, 2015. My vet had injected in the same area on her upper back.

On May 28, I suddenly noticed two lumps in that same area of injection. One lump is about the size of a pea. The other lump is very thin and is about the size of a grain of rice. What do you think these two lumps are? I'm just praying that they,re just granulomas from the two injections and nothing serious.

I have really no idea when they formed as I just noticed them yesterday. Is it normal for them to still be there from the time of the injection? How long does it usually take to go away?

Also, I've been using a warm compress and massaging them. Does this help?

Thank you so much. I feel so scared and confused.

Thank you again.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Lumps at vaccination site . So distraught. Please help

Post by meriad »

Hi there; quite a few people have reported that their cats developed small lumps after vaccinations and all so far have reported back that the lumps disappeared after a while.

if you're concerned I'd go to the vet for a quick check but I would suspect that it's 'just' a reaction to the vaccination and that in a few weeks both lumps will have either gone or reduced even further
Xenaprincess
New Cat Chatter

Post by Xenaprincess »

Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate it.:)

It's very very comforting to know that.

Do you know if they happen to disappear slowly? And the average timeline of it? It's been almost a month for my kitty.

I apologise for the questions and really appreciate any responses.

Thank you again:)
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

Lumps at vaccination sites are common, the grain of rice type lump you can feel could be the microchip if your cat has one?
Xenaprincess
New Cat Chatter

Post by Xenaprincess »

Yes! You're right! It's her microchip! The doc said the lump could be a reaction to that. But I'm sure the lump is from the three vaccines she got last month as I didn't feel it before. Thank you.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

A couple of my cats have developed small lumps at the injection site a couple of weeks after vaccination, which have usually gone again after another 2/3 weeks. Hopefully, that's all it is. :)