Ferals!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Lallum
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Ferals!

Post by Lallum »

About 6 weeks ago I noticed 4 cats coming into my garden. 2 tabbies (I think Mum and son as they have similar fat tails), a white cat (male) and a completely black cat (male). 3 of them are young. I guess about 3 months. The kittens are unneutered males. None of them have collars and they are thin. One of them (the all black kitten I have named Sooty) is very vocal. He comes into my garden each evening and calls to my 2 cats (Magic and Midnight). They get agitated until I let them out. The three of them play in the garden. There's no fighting or hissing. Sooty rolls around on the path showing them his tummy and my two clean him!

I saw the vet today and mentioned this. She suggests that we should maybe get them caught and neutered. So my question is, how? I am leaving small quantities of food for Sooty but he is not happy to come near me. Earlier this week when we had heavy rain, he was dripping wet and looked grumpy although still shouting for his friends.

I don't know how easy it would be to catch Sooty or domesticate him but I am concerned about him. The other 3 are not appearing so often now so maybe they've moved on and left him or they have to have a large territory to support them so don't hang around here too much.

Any thoughts?
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Ferals!

Post by Meandmymunki »

Yes you would need to get them neutered before you end up with a colony in your garden!
If you go to the find a rescue section on here you can put your county in to find all your local rescues and hopefully one of those will be able to catch them, neuter them and return them to your garden.
This is of course provided you are in th UK- where abouts are you?
Lallum
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Lallum »

I'm in Alnwick, Northumberland.

The vet suggested if I could catch them then the PDSA could give me a voucher towards the cost of neutering. I'm not too bothered and would probably pay myself. I'm more concerned about possible inter breeding in a family group which could have unpleasant consequences. I'm bemused about catching them so I'll try calling the Mid Northumberland Cat rescue centre to see if they've any ideas.

I took mine to the vet to get them treated for worms and fleas as thats a concern with ferals living in close contact with my (neutered) guys.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

a local rescue may be able to loan you a humane trap to catch them with, then while they are In the vets being neutered they can be treated for fleas and worms at the same time. Cats protection sometimes cover cost of neutering Ferals too.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mrs Kane »

Asking the local rescue centre for a trap might help if he won't come to your door.

http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/HOW_TO_ ... THE_BASICS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This site has some really good tips for trapping. It points out some things that are pretty basic but might be forgotten, like gloves. I actually used a website like this to help me when I was a teenager trying to trap a rabbit in our garden. (story below if you aren't busy.)

He wasn't feral but had been abandoned and was scared of humans. His name was Jet and he lived with us until he was (more or less) 10 years old until he got cancer in his spine. He wasn't a social rabbit but he did love nibbling our fingers and he loved his food! We later learnt that he'd been shot with an air rifle after he started to limp on his right leg and we took him to the vet. (at the same time we learnt about the cancer) and the pellet was inside him still. I think that's possibly why he got cancer. But he was so lovely. He never bit or showed agression. he was just a scared little bunny that eventually found peace. He had a bad start but was so wonderful in his later years.