Moving (Quicker or Gradual Change?)

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
izz123
New Cat Chatter

Moving (Quicker or Gradual Change?)

Post by izz123 »

Hiya,

I'm looking for some advice on moving with my three cats. I'm moving in with my partner, not selling so I've the option to move the cats gradually, but I'm not sure what will be least stressful for them.

They are outdoor cats so obviously I need to keep them in for awhile too.

Would visiting a few times before the move make them more or less stressed? It's only 5 minutes drive so no long trips.

Thanks,
Izzy
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Moving (Quicker or Gradual Change?)

Post by Lilith »

Hi there Izzy - personally I'd just move them when you're ready.

They're not like dogs who might enjoy going on a visit to someone's house; cats are creatures of habit and I feel it would stress them to have to go back and forth; it wouldn't help them to get used to a new place. It does seem harsh, to take them there all of a sudden, but if you can have their personal belongings, trays, blankets, beds etc in place, it will soften the shock, but do be prepared for them hiding or refusing to eat at first. They will get used to the new place though it may take time and understanding. And yes, you're very right in deciding to keep them in for a while.

With all very best wishes for the move :)
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mrs Kane »

I haven't owned an outdoor cat personally but I can give you a few tips from my friends and family.

Making sure your cats are micro-chipped is important if you think you're going to have any problems with any of them trying to return home. 5 minutes isn't a lot by car so it shouldn't be more than 20 for a cat. If they live outdoors anyway they probably know the area but microchipping them will help if they get lost through being disorientated.

Make sure that when you move them they are familiar with the carriers. A favourite blanket and/or toy wouldn't go amiss.

Try and isolate your cats from the moving process as much as possible so they don't get freaked out by all the changes when they're there. One of my friends actually waited until the cat was settled in the spare room before closing the door and moving everything how she wanted. I don't think her boyfriend appreciated it, but the cat was much more relaxed.

If you can, move the cats last. Once everything is in place let the cats out and explore. They'll probably be curious but a little freaked so stay with them and just let them get familiar with everything again.

If you've got a garden in your new place let them out there first so they get used to the new area before they start to wander around a little more. Try and keep your cats inside or in the garden for the first 24 hours to get them acclimatized.

Now this is going to sound a little mean but as a recommendation: the night before the move, keep them in, and don't feed them. When you arrive set up the cats litter and food all ready to go before you bring them in. Make sure the food and water is full so they know where to go. They'll head straight for the food and will forget their new home jitters.

If you get any litter box troubles, mop it up with a tissue or paper towel and put the mess IN the litter tray. The cat will smell the scent and associate that with the place to go to the loo.

Hope some of these things help.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree that it would just stress them out to visit, they will get used to it when you move them, in time.

It's most important that you keep you cets indoors for three or four weeks before letting them outside. They need to start feeling safe in the new place so they know to come back to it when they eventually do go out, and it will take that long for them to really imprint on it as 'home'.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

You will be their constant when everything else is unfamiliar so I'd move them as soon as you can.