Tracking devices

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
janey_m
New Cat Chatter

Tracking devices

Post by janey_m »

I've just registered - I have posted to the forums in the past, but don't seem to exist anymore!

I was wondering whether anyone has experience of GPS type tracking devices at all?

(We moved house at the beginning of April - slightly complicated arrangement as we adopted Pom who was living in the house we bought after the death of her owner and had two of our own, Mab and Farley. Pom actually moved over to our old house whilst the new place was being rewired, so introductions all went fine and moving went fine. Our two started going out after two weeks in their bright yellow Kitty Collars with "JUST MOVED" on them. We lock the catflap overnight. Everything went smoothly.

However, there have been two incidents with our boy Farley. The first time was after they had been going out for a week. I left the catflap open as Pom had not come home, and Farley disappeared for over 24 hours, returning in the early hours of the following morning. Since then, if Pom isn't home before bed, I just put a bed in the kitchen and shut the kitchen door, putting additional food and water in the hall.

This weekend just gone we were going away for a friend's birthday from Friday evening to Sunday lunchtime, with a friend popping in on Saturday to feed, and we decided to leave the catflap open.

On getting back on Sunday there was no sign of Farley, and speaking to my friend she confirmed she had only seen Pom and Mab, and had just assumed Farley was elsewhere. I didn't sleep at all on Sunday night and was out at 4am wandering the streets. Drove home from work twice yesterday and still no sign, and then we spent all evening calling on neighbours, wandering the streets calling for him, and getting posters ready to print. He turned up at 2.30 this morning...)

Obviously he's microchipped. I know there are pros and cons with collars and they haven't worn them in the past, but I'm thinking of keeping him in his Kitty Collar. Having just had 36 hellish hours I'm wondering whether using some sort of tracking device might be worth trying or whether they're too cumbersome / don't work anyway. Has anyone had any experiences? Any thoughts on their suitability?

Jane
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Tracking devices

Post by Crewella »

I've not tried them, but I believe a couple of members have some sort of device that works within a limited range.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Tracking devices

Post by mr_frisky »

I've used Loc8tor Plus, which has a fairly good range (when not obscured by houses). the only GPS one I'm aware of is Loc8tor GPS.