Rescues- spay opinion please!!!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Rescues- spay opinion please!!!

Post by Meandmymunki »

So this morning I picked up a ladies 2 cats to get them neutered for her (I'm rescue btw) they are 9 months old brother and sister and born with the lady so their history is known. Male was castrated first, female had side spay opening, they could find no uterus so opened her midline, still no uterus, the vets concluded already spayed. When I collected them to take back to owner the vets said if she comes into season take her back......
Now surely the uterus is attached to the girlie opening, so therefore if nothing attached then no uterus, so my questions a) if no uterus then where is it, b) how could the vet be in doubt and say take her back if comes Into season??
Any ideas please?
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Rescues- spay opinion please!!!

Post by lilynmitz »

It's an odd one this one, and it seems even the vet was confused. I'm guessing that she could come into season if any ovary tissue was left in situ, and if the vet couldn't find the uterus, perhaps they can't be sure that this was fully removed? But at least without a uterus she shouldn't get pregnant. If she does come into season though, she will still attract unwanted attention from all the local toms, so do keep an eye on her.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

Ah I see so it's the presence of ovaries that causes a season.....
I have since been googling it and it seems it's a more common thing in torties to be born without a uterus, and she is a tortie.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Meandmymunki wrote:I have since been googling it and it seems it's a more common thing in torties to be born without a uterus, and she is a tortie.
Really - wow, that is very fascinating....