Little Locky losing weight....

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Little Locky losing weight....

Post by Cussypat1974 »

He is just 2 years old and has recently lost weight, and had a dose of the snuffles and an ear infection. Both have since cleared up with ABs, but he began vomiting and has lost more weight since the last vet visit. I was suspecting diabetes and the vet tested his glucose levels, which are normal. He had bloods taken, but she only got enough for haematology, so he may need another round of pricking next week for biochemistry and FIV/FelV testing :-(. He is ex-feral and has tamed down incredibly since he has been ill, but still lost the plot at the sound of the clippers, so the vet could only clip the fur on his throat. I will get a call with the results of that later today. My cats always seem really difficult to get blood from for some reason! He was so so good apart from being terrified of the noisy clippers!

He is home now and has an anti-emetic and Hill's ID food (waiting till 12.30 to see if he will even eat it!) and I am taking a urine sample on Monday to bring to the vet. I have bought a chicken to boil for him in case he refuses the Hill's. He can be a fussy thing!

I really don't want to lose this little chap.... He is FAR young for that, and I have lost so many this year already...... And he is a VERY sweet little chap, if nervous.... I am glad it isn't diabetes.... I think! It'd be a nightmare to manage, but on the other hand, at least it CAN be managed. All I think of is Holmsey and his lymphoma (although Locky has perfect poohs). I HATE when they start losing weight like this despite eating..... It never bodes well does it?
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Little Locky losing weight....

Post by Jan »

Sorry to hear about little Locky .. how is he doing? Hope the results of the FIV/FeLV come back negative. Did he eat the Hills food after all? x
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

He was diagnosed with kidney failure this morning...... His urine was crystal clear with no smell at all..... Basically water. Having him euthanised this week..... Before he starts to suffer awfully........ Bet reckons it is a congenital issue from inbreeding. He came from a farm colony that were still breeding till this year when the wildlife sanctuary people I got him from finally managed to get access and permission to sort the situation out.......
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm really sorry, but by the sound of it you're doing the right thing for him. xx
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Is he drinking & peeing a lot Catherine? - Have they considered Diabetes Insipidus? - It is nothing at all to do with 'normal' diabetes.

When Laz starting drinking and peeing lots - it was like plain water, no yellow at all. My previous vet said it must be kidney disease. He was on Benazecare for a year. When I changed vets, they did a blood test and his kidney values were no worse than they had been the previous year. The vet said it was possible that he had diabetes Insipidus. We tested by doing a water deprivation test over about 4 days. It was confirmed that he did have it. We controlled it with DDAVP hormone drops and he started drinking and peeing much less and the colour of his urine returned to normal.

DI is caused by damage to the pituitary gland, or the hypothalamus, so the hormone that controls water in the kidneys isn't produced or isn't produced in high enough quantities.

I have 3 unopened bottles in the fridge - it needs to be kept chilled. We lost Laz to something totally unrelated.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

He has had a reprieve as he has actually gained 0.1kg since last Friday! S he is now on Benazacare and Zantac as well as the Antepsin. It is wait and see.

mark, yes, he does drink and pee a lot, and the first test he had was for blood glucose levels, which were normal. There was no glucose in his urine. I should bloody know this, but could it still be diabetes insipidus? I was up cuddling him till 5am, thinking it was his last night with me, and only got about 2 hours sleep, so my brain is fried! But even with insipid us, his glucose levels would be up, no?

From the time he started looking sick, I thought he looked like a "kidney cat", but dismissed it due to his young age..... Diabetes was first in my mind and I was dreading the diagnosis as it would be pretty darn hard to manage...... Now I LONG for diabetes!!!!!!!!

I need to go look at my notes from college. I bloody well got a distinction last year, and this was covered, so I am hoping it is just exhaustion and not my actual brain that is utterly rubbish! THANK YOU Mark. X
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

It could be DI Catherine. The Diabetes part is misleading as it is nothing to do with blood sugar - not connected in any way to Diabetes as we know it - It is purely an issue with production of DDAVP (Desmopressin) hormone, which controls water balance in the body. It made the world of difference for Laz - of course, kidney readings make a difference. Laz had 'old kidneys' but the readings (I was told) were to be expected for an elderly cat.

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-12145 ... al/details" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I made the world of difference for Laz. He had reached a stage where he was drinking almost constantly and not always reaching the tray to pee.

I
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Mark, I haven't even broached the subject of DI with my vet yet, but will do. He still hasn't had bloods done, as he is in pretty bad shape,so we don't actually know what his BUN or creatinine levels are yet. He lost the 100g he gained, but no more, and now weighs 2kg. He is having weekly vet visits and weight checks to monitor his progress, and I am coaxing him to eat whatever I can get him to. He eats something for about 2 days, then goes off it, and it is back to square one to try to find something that will tempt him. At the moment all he wants is processed cheese (awful I know, but at least he isn't lactose intolerant afaik), and this bothers me as if he goes off that I am gonna have to force his benazacare down his neck. So far he has been taking it in a tiny piece of cheese. I may as well offer him sand to eat as the prescription diets, and the look he gives me if I try them is priceless...... Pure evils!

If he keeps losing weight, then I think I will have to have him PTS. I have read up about DI (there wasn't much in my college notes, it was just touched upon as we aren't doing clinical pathology till next year) and the water deprivation test. He is in such bad shape I would be reluctant to do it, but certainly will consider it, depending on his bloods. I am unsure of how to proceed to be honest..... If he gains weight again, maybe I should keep on with the treatment and hope for the best, but if he loses weight again then taking bloods and a water deprivation test will be especially hard on him.....

The pituitary gland and hypothalamus are fabulous things when they work properly! I remember dissecting a brain last year and being utterly amazed that such a tiny bit of squishy white material could control SONSO much in our bodies, and basically destroy us if anything goes wrong! I also found an answer to all the teeny kittens I have had over the years who died young. Inbreeding is a bloody awful thing, and causes so many problems in cats. Hopefully we will find an answer for Locky.... I would LOVE for it to be DI......
Thank you again Mark, you are a fountain of knowledge as usual!
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Jan »

I've been away for a while and have only just caught up with this thread .... very sorry to read the news about little Locky ... :cry: Sorry I can't offer anything but sympathy.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Thanks Jan.
He is having a good spell at the moment, I am happy to report! He has hijacked my dressing gown as a bed and is eating (all the wrong stuff, but he IS eating!) and seems to be drinking and weeing less. He is happy in himself, and while he is, I am reluctant to euthanise him. But he is being closely monitored as the very last thing I want is for him to end up miserable and suffering.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I know you'll do the right thing, Catherine - and I'm glad he's had a bit of a reprieve. xx
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Thanks Crewella. It is day to day really. Once he starts looking miserable and has no quality of life, it will be time. I know he would like to go out into the garden, but apart from that he seems to be enjoying being spoiled rotten. He purrs when I stroke him and interacts with the other cats, and last night he decided to sleep in a bag of jumpers lol. It is very sad, and I don't want to say goodbye to him at all, he is just so young. I have given him the best life I coild while he was here, and if he hadn't been rescued he would have died an awful death...... And I am thankful for that much. A short good life is better than a long miserable one eh?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I agree absolutely, quality is everything. He's a lucky boy to have you watching over him. xx
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Thanks Hun. I will do mybest for him...... For me reading the signs it is up and down every day, (how much did he eat, did he vomit, what did his poop look like etc) but for him..... He seems like a pretty happy chap..... Apart from not going outside.