Discharge from eye

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
johntruscott
Frequent Cat Chatter

Discharge from eye

Post by johntruscott »

One of my cat's eyes is half-closed and in the morning when he wakes up there's a slight discharge from it. He doesn't seem to be in discomfort. Could I treat this myself, or is it likely to be serious?

Any advice very gratefully received,

John
deanlogan
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Discharge from eye

Post by deanlogan »

hi, my cat Scooby had this problem two weeks ago, I bathed it in cooled boiled water and it cleared up within 2 days. hope this helps :) dean.
johntruscott
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by johntruscott »

thanks dean. Did you apply the water with anything e.g. cotton wool?

john
deanlogan
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by deanlogan »

yes cotton wool :) hope this helps. dean
johntruscott
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by johntruscott »

Thanks very much, I'll try it in a minute,

john
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

It's worth giving it a clean, but do keep a close eye on it and take him to the vet if it starts to look red and sore, it's not wise to take chances with eyes. The vet would probably prescribe chloramphenicol for an eye infection (just in case you have a tube handy).
johntruscott
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by johntruscott »

Thanks Crewella, I've cleaned Jordi's eye and if it's still half-closed tomorrow I'll take him to the vet,

John
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I agree with Helen, although my vet usually tries Fucithalmic first. I would always recommend a vet looking at eye problems, but at a push, you can buy Optrex infected eye from the chemist. It is Chloramphenicol - and at the same concentration used on animals. It is kept in the fridge in chemists and needs to be kept chilled. It costs about £5

Apparently there can be complications with cats with Chloramphenicol - http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=624" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by MarkB on Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Thanks Mark, that's interesting. I wonder if there is any difference when not dosed orally.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Not sure Helen. It does make me a bit wary though.

I just googled and found this. Sounds quite scary http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/vth/Docu ... halmic.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
johntruscott
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by johntruscott »

Thank you for all advice, Jordi's eye has healed up well with daily bathing

John
johntruscott
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by johntruscott »

Re toxic products, I bought some anti-bacterial floor wipes the other day and just happened to read the small print, which said not to allow cats to walk on any surface that had been wiped with them until it was dry, as if they walked on a still-damp surface and then licked their paws they'd be likely to be poisoned.
I found that quite scary, as I wouldn't normally read small print when using a piece of cloth! You have to be on the alert these days, as innocent-seeming names may disguise toxic content.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

I am careful about using antibacterial floor wipes these days. I used to use them all the time. Now I buy regular floor wipes in B&M. I tried to find some in Tesco this week, but they were all antibacterial.

http://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/wood ... 0pk-293084" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also use Byotrol kitchen spray. Pets at Home and Petface (Sold in Sainsbury's) do a Byotrol spray which is apparently safe for cats - it is £4. However, Tesco own kitchen spray is Byotrol and only about 85p :) - I have been using it for about a year now http://www.byotrol.co.uk/tesco.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
johntruscott
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by johntruscott »

That's good to know, Mark. You're clearly clued-up on the issue

John
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mrs Kane »

My local pet shop round the corner actually sells all that kind of stuff, of which I am grateful. I buy the wipes and washing up liquid for when I need to clean out my cats bowls and wipe down the desk and dining room table as she likes to lay on them to get her daily dose of sun. They are expensive though so when I don't have any I shut her out the room I'm cleaning until everything is dried out. Much to her indignation :lol:
Amy1980
New Cat Chatter

Post by Amy1980 »

My cat has discharge in her left eye most days and I just wipe it with cotton wool and water, her eye is fine otherwise but I keep an eye on it (no pun intended), I wonder why she get's this though?