Daz's in the wars again

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Daz's in the wars again

Post by Crewella »

Daz was a bit quiet yesterday, and I did notice a small spiky clump of hair on his head right on one of his 'eyebrows'. The bunnies must be fighting back again - it must have been a small abcess, as today it has obviously burst and he has a big messy scab forming there, and he's back to his usual self. I've given it a good clean with salt water and it actually looks OK, I'm just debating whether I should take him to the vets for an antibiotic shot. I hate the idea of using ABs unnecessarily, but I've never had a cat with an abcess that's not had them ......

I'm tempted to just keep an eye on it, and him, for a couple of days and keep cleaning it. What do you guys think? Any advice much appreciated.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Daz's in the wars again

Post by Kay »

personally I suspect vets overprescribe abs - they are only needed if an infection is present, which would appear not to be the case here - or not yet, anyway

best IMO to save your pennies and protecdt Daz's long term resistant level to abs until you know by smell and warmth that they are really needed
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Poor old Daz!

Yeah, I agree - a small clearly get-at-able abscess, if the cat will let you keep cleaning and draining it, can often respond to home treatment.

When my lot roamed I always found abscesses reared their ugly heads as soon as the vet closed...years ago the current ginger tom was on my knee one evening, and I saw it, the great lump behind his ear (he was like your Daz, off hunting a lot, and he hadn't even been quiet or off his food, nothing to alert me.)

He was a very soppy boy and so I tentatively placed a thumb either side of the thing, applied a tiny bit of pressure...and a great jet of pus shot out and hit me on the shoulder!

HE just went on purring!

Hope Daz is better soon :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks, you've both voiced my own feelings so I'll just keep an eye on it for now, and keep it clean. xx
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

I agree, you know Daz and abscesses well enough to know if he needs a trip to the vet. Fusses for my favourite white chap x
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Given that it has burst, I agree that it is best to keep an eye. No doubt you will check his ears aren;t getting hot etc.

Not long after I adopted Kylie, she had a burst absess. I DID take her to the vet. I was told that her temperature was slightly raised, but that her body would deal with it - £50 please!!! - an expensive Islington vet, 14 years ago + a bus ride with a grumpy cat after a long day at work! :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Just to update, it scabbed up nicely and the scab has just gone - he now has a bald spot the size of a ha'penny in the middle of one of his 'eyebrows'! :D

Thanks guys, I will always be concerned about abcesses, of course, but not quite as likely to whip 'em straight down the vets whatever from now on. An expensive trip with a grumpy cat definitely isn't something to undertake without a darned good reason! xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Some good news, Helen. Fusses to the little boy.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Glad he's recovered, bless him :D