Kidney cysts/ Polycystic kidney disease

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Suze
Frequent Cat Chatter

Kidney cysts/ Polycystic kidney disease

Post by Suze »

I took my 13.5 year old cat Polly for an ultrasound of her kidneys today. She had her annual check last week and the vet said her kidneys felt lumpy and needed following up (she didn't have her vaccines as a result).

Her left kidney has small cysts however her right kidney also has a large one, approx 2cm in diameter. The vet said there isn't much we can do, he said bloods will give an indication of renal function but he said that information wouldn't help in terms of treatment. She last had bloods in January which did suggest she had early stage kidney disease but at that time I was told the numbers weren't bad enough to start any treatment.

I'm really stumped about what we should be doing but I feel like we should be doing something. I've got a few sachets of renal food to try. She's booked in for her bp to bechecked next week. If that's high, we can treat it. I asked about binders but the vet didn't think any point really.

Has anyone got any experience of this? Is there something we should be doing? I've been sat trying to read up online but it's confusing me more. Should we be testing what's in the cysts? Some articles I've read say yes, some no. Do cysts on the kidneys mean it is polycystic kidney disease or are there other types. I'm really confused. :?
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Kidney cysts/ Polycystic kidney disease

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Sorry you are going through this..... I am far from an expert but AFAIK there is no point looking at what is inside the cysts. The best you can do is treat her with special diet and meds to help her kidney function. Others here will have been through this and know more though.
I have a 2 year old in a similar position, but he is still under investigation. He is very young for this disease, but it can happen, sadly.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Kidney cysts/ Polycystic kidney disease

Post by Cussypat1974 »

I take it from your post that this was just picked up on accidentally? She isn't showing any symptoms? If that is the ce then she probably doesn't need drugs yet, but I am no expert as I said! A renal diet would be a good idea I reckon, and there are loads available if she doesn't like a particular brand. Your vet sounds mighty good!