Do cats want to be stroked more when they're not well

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Cindy 14
Frequent Cat Chatter

Do cats want to be stroked more when they're not well

Post by Cindy 14 »

I'm finding that Cindy is wanting so much more fuss than usual now - she comes right up to my face, wants to sit right on top of me when I'm sitting up in bed and puts her face right up close to my hand to make me stroke her. This is happening so much more since there seems to be something not quite right with her so I was wondering if this was her way of telling me she's not well?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Do cats want to be stroked more when they're not well

Post by bobbys girl »

How long has Cindy been like this? If you are worried about her, get to the vets and have her checked out.

Purdy sometimes gets like this. The first couple of times we took her to the vet, but he could find nothing wrong. She is a naturally skinny, highly-strung cat. We wonder if it is more psychological than physical. We say she's 'poorly bad on two chairs' (a phrase from childhood) and make her the centre of attention, buying her favourite food (Hill's perscription 'baby' food) and spoon-feed her. That's normally enough to bring her around.

Make sure first that she is OK physically. If everything checks out you could try the above - you might just have a fussy pussy.

I hope she is alright, please keep in touch.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

It really depends on the cat, some of mine want more fuss when they're not feeling 100% and some like to sit quietly on their own, but any change in behavior is usually a sign that something's up, so it's worth checking it out as Bobby's girl says.
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Willowgill »

Hi - I too would take her to the vets re my previous post. When Harry was very ill (he passed away 5 years ago) he would come and sit at my feet while I worked and want picking up and cuddling. He had always been a very affectionate boy but this was beyond his normal behaviour and he seemed to need the extra attention which of course I always gave him.