Shelby the Wailing Ragdoll

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Bubbleicious5
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 10

Shelby the Wailing Ragdoll

Post by Bubbleicious5 »

Hi Everyone

Wonder if anyone can help. I have six cats in total and the only female is Shelby, who is a Ragdoll. She is lovely, but for the last week or so she has been coming into the bedroom at roughly 04:55 every morning and continually meowing (wailing like a banshee I like to call it). I know pedigrees tend to be vocal, but this is beyond a joke. First I thought she was hungry so I would give her and the others some dry food and then attempt to go back to bed (I get up at 6am), however she normally comes back in and it starts up again. She will even sometimes sit on top of my partner, Phil and just keep meowing. She is eating, playing, doing everything normally.

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts/advice.

Cheers guys xx
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Shelby the Wailing Ragdoll

Post by Catfan5 »

Hi, had to chuckle when I read your post although I know how exhausting this is. We also have a female ragdoll, 7 years old Bailey, who likes to wake me from about 5am with walking on me,purring loudly in my ear and kneading my head! The other five cats are male and no bother at all. I need my sleep though so I put her and her 'brother' in the kitchen overnight with everything they need and open the door at 7am! I don't know how old your ragdoll is or how long she's been with you but if this is a new behaviour with the meowing (and assuming she is spayed), a word with the vet might be an idea to check all is well health wise. Otherwise she is she is just probably attention-seeking like Bailey! :)
Lallum
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Shelby the Wailing Ragdoll

Post by Lallum »

I am being driven mad by my male cat. Midnight woke me 6 times last night. At 1.30am he started a fight with his sister who was trying to climb onto the bed but he was in residence. This isn't usually a problem but he has recently taken to thinking my bed is his bed. I fed him at 2.30am after he started tearing up the carpet. At 3.30am he started to howl in the bedroom so I put him onto the landing and closed the door. At 4.30am he managed to open the door and started to howl and tear up the carpet. Put back on the landing. At 6.30am he started clawing at the door and managed to open it again. Barricaded door. At 8.30am he started to shriek so I gave up and got out of bed. He then walked into the bedroom and curled up on the bed! I have a fitbit which shows I was woken up 24 times last night. He is not ill but he has started sleeping during the day and being awake all night. When the weather improves, he will have to go out at night. I can't cope with this. He has always woken me once each night but at the moment he's just going crazy. I have tried putting in the kitchen or bathroom but the damage he causes trying to get out is beyond a joke. Sorry to go on but I am suffering sleep deprivation and I'm going to keep him awake all day today so he sleeps tonight! Grrr!