Feline dementia

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Baysee
New Cat Chatter

Feline dementia

Post by Baysee »

I desperately need some advice. My three legged cat Daisy, who is 17 has become very odd in her behavior. She has stopped coming into the house entirely, although two nights ago did come and sleep on my bed the whole night which is what she used to do. Sometimes she is very affectionate to my other cat, but lately will turn on him quite suddenly.
She is half feral, doesn"t like people, but oddly a few weeks ago came and sat on a friend"s lap which was totally out of the norm.
This morning, I called her and called her, thinking the worst but she turned up and as soon as I tried to greet her with a pat, she began swearing and running away from me as if she didn"t know who I was. She has lost weight, but still seems pretty active for a cat of her age. I have seen her tucking into the odd mouse out in the garden, so have not been too worried when she isn"t eating as much. Reading this back it almost seems as if she is going feral again. I want to take her to the vet, but cannot get near her. This is breaking my heart. Any advice would be welcome
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Feline dementia

Post by Cussypat1974 »

I deal with many ferals as I have a sanctuary for them. I have also had one cat with properly diagnosed dementia, but she was 24 years of age. I would imagine that there is a physical cause to Daisy's signs. Ideally she would visit a vet, but I do understand your difficulty in catching her. If there is ANY way to do so, do it. Have you any idea how old she is? With ferals it is so so hard to figure out when it is worth the stress to them, for a vet visit. The signs you describe could indicate any number of things to be honest, and only a vet can help with a diagnosis. I would be suspecting heart or kidneys or cancer or a simple ear mite infection, from what you have said, but only proper medical diagnosis can give any real idea of what is going on.
You have a choice of waiting to see what happens, or biting the bullet and catching her to see a vet. You know the cat better than anyone so it is up to you to make the right decision. No pressure eh? ;-)
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

I am sorry if that came across as rude! I didn't mean it that way at all. I know how bloody hard it is with ferals and medical care........ Just retread my post and didn't like the way it came across. But it was meant as sound advice, not snottiness! X
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Given her age and changes in behaviour I think she needs to be checked out by the vet, hard as it may be to catch her you need to rule out any health issues.
Baysee
New Cat Chatter

Post by Baysee »

Thanks for your replies.
I know how old she is as she was born in my garden even though mothered by a feral cat. She returned this evening as sweet as she normally is, ate some food, brushed up against my other cat but wouldn"t let me near her. I have the carrier all ready sitting in the kitchen so will try tomorrow to catch her.....Not an easy task when on your own with arthritis. However, I know it must be done. Thank you all once again.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Best of luck with it! It is blooming hard to catch them and then get them into a carrier. Wear long sleeves and gloves if you can, the last thing you need is a nasty bite. Perhaps a local TNR group, or your vet, could loan you a trap? It doesn't sound like she is in immediate danger so gently-gently might be the best approach..... Maybe you could lure her into the carrier with something tasty like sardines or roast chicken, then shut the door behind her? Cat bites can be very nasty so please be careful and if you DO get bitten, GO TO THE DOCTOR. I have seen too many friends end up in hospital after cat bites not to warn everyone! They don't always turn out that bad of course, but when they do it can be horrible!