Locky update

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Locky update

Post by Cussypat1974 »

He is doing well! The benazacare seems to be helping him, because his coat has improved and he is 2.1kg despite vomiting far more regularly than I would like. His poops are lovely and he is bright, alert, happy and interested in life. We are starting him on phosphorous binders now and stopping the antepsin on a trial basis.

His best weight since diagnosis was 2.2 and his worst 1.9. So he is doing pretty well!
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Locky update

Post by Jan »

Lovely to read your news Cussypat. Happy that little Locky is doing much better. What phosphate binder are you using by the way?

Jan x
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Glad that he is improving. Have you heard of Semintra? - my vet prescribes it instead of Benazedril now. Apparently it stops proteinuria - not sure if enough protein is lost to cause weight loss. My vet said he was switching cats over to it from Benazedril too.

Silly question maybe, but I have a nearly full bottle. Laz had an URTI at the end. I assume as the med is drawn into a syringe and given by mouth, it shouldn't really be passed on to another cat and I should bin it?

I have some Benazecare and some other generic Benazepril tablets in the drawer. I will see how many are left and if they are worth posting on to you.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Cussypat - I'm glad to hear that Locky is doing so much better. I remember when Tommy was first diagnosed, he was a very poorly boy. But he too has put weight on and is much brighter. I hope Locky carries on the same.

Mark - I always give Tommy his Semintra mixed with a bit of jelly from his food. I can only imagine the struggle I would have trying to give a very strong, scaredy cat any meds directly, every day! :shock: I also thought that, like Metacam, Semintra has a 'shelf-life' when opened (not that it lasts long with Tom).
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Thank you all! He has no antepsin yesterday and hasn't vomited at all. He is even eating chicken and cat food! The vet thought maybe the antepsin was making him vomit, and I also suspected that. I am glad he is off it as I have read it is to be used cautiously in human kidney patients.

Mark, thank you so much for the suggestion and I will look into Semintra and ask the vet about it. She wants to do another urinalysis soon, so we can see if proteinuria is a problem. On his last one, the specific gravity was the real red flag and she didn't mention protein. He seems to be doing so well now on the benazacre that it might be wrong to switch to another med without a good reason.... Why do you guys think? If you have any laying about I would be very grateful for them indeed!

I have used the same oral med bottle on multiple cats before now. In fact I worm the majority with parazole so it happens here every three months! So long as the syringe is cleaned between uses I can't really see a problem, as you wouldn't be sticking the dirty syringe back into the bottle normally. Getting liquid meds into him is a nightmare...... But he takes pills easily in a tiny piece of cheese. I am still giving him the Zantac, but as it is just half a mill per dose, it is easier to get into him.

I am just so glad I didn't give up on the little guy too soon. My memories of CKD were just terrible and I was terrified of what would happen to him. Thank God I have a better vet now and when I explained my fears to her she reassured me that neither her nor I would let him suffer like poor Tinkie did over ten years ago.

She has to order in the phosphate binder so I don't know which one it is yet. It should arrive tomorrow. Tinkie had none of that when she was sick. I don't know if that is because the vets at the time were rubbish, or because medicine has advanced since then. It was a larger clinic with a good rep, but it was a different vet each time you went and they often seemed to contradict each other. I am far more comfortable with a smaller practice and a vet who you build a relationship of trust with, and who actually gets to know their patients well.
Cussypat1974
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Cussypat1974 »

Oh, and I am even letting him go outside for short periods now, if he wants to! Funnily enough, he went out for ten minutes and came back to the door when it started to drizzle rain lol. It seems he has become quite accustomed to the comfy indoor life as he hasn't asked to go out since! The only negative is that I have had to oust him from the living room as he started to pee on the couch..... He now has the run of the hallway and bathroom and stairs, and has pillows and beds etc which I can chuck in the wash if he does a wee on them. Not so easy to wash the couch, and his productions are quite voluminous! He is happy there though, and has made great friends with the two new boys, one of whom weighs nearly 6kg.... Triple his weight! Locky is such a sweetie he just snuggles up to them. Not so great for me when he is cuddled with Smithy and I have to get him for his meds though, as I have to get past his hissing, spitting bodyguard first ha ha ha!