CAT NEEDS OPERATION, VET BILL EXTORTIONATE. HELP

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
vixen
New Cat Chatter

CAT NEEDS OPERATION, VET BILL EXTORTIONATE. HELP

Post by vixen »

:shock:

My cat needs an eye operation, he has herpes in his eye, and the Vet has quoted an extortionate fee which I cannot afford. I do not qualify for RSPCA, PDSA or Blue Cross as although I am on benefits, I do not get housing benefit.

He really needs to have this operation fairly quickly and I do not know where to turn.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: CAT NEEDS OPERATION, VET BILL EXTORTIONATE. HELP

Post by bobbys girl »

I have been in that situation and I really feel for you. How long have you been with that vet?

Perhaps you could - try another vet, have a word with PDSA (you are on benefits - if not the magic housing benefit) perhaps they could let you pay what you can, or, if you have been with your vet for a while and they know you, perhaps they would let you pay in installments (ours would!) After all, your pets health comes first.

Hope you can find a solution to your problem. Please keep in touch.
andybriz
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by andybriz »

Would they let you pay in instalments? I think most vets offer something like this, I know mine does. Most vets will want to help, they won't want to see an animal suffering.

Please look into insurance though, I'm always telling friends to get it, one of mine had a skin condition that just came out the blue one day and now reoccurs every few months and we've saved literally thousands! I can't recommend it enough. Ours is only around £12 a month for a covered for life policy, but you can other policies for less than a tenner. I know this won't help for now but just thought I'd mention it incase you thought it might be more than this :)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

I agree with Bobbys Girl, explain your problem to the vet and ask if you can pay in instalments. Most vets should compromise somewhere; after all the welfare of the animal is at stake here.

And maybe look at taking out pet insurance. It's a small monthly amount to pay really but would hopefully in the future help you out. Admittedly it's too late for this situation but still

Good luck!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Snap Andybriz :)
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

Hello Vixen
I wonder if you've heard of this chain of 'not for profit' vets?

http://www.animaltrust.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If there's a branch in your area it may well be a lot less expensive. I've never used them so I can't pass any useful comments about them.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Do you have a Blue Cross clinic anywhere near?

They aren't as strict regarding eligibilty http://www.bluecross.org.uk/my-pet-elig ... -treatment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is a shame other charities can't work on a case-by-case basis!
vixen
New Cat Chatter

Post by vixen »

Thanks everyone for your comments and info.

Unfortunately the Animal Trust are only based in the North of England and being in Surrey thats not any use to me. I contacted the Cats Protection but they couldnt help either, only suggesting posting on here!

My vet dont do instalments but have said I can pay £300 a month, alas I dont earn that much money so that option is also out of the window.

Pet insurance isnt any good either as he's an old boy of 17-18. They wont insure older cats plus a lot of ailments and illnesses are not covered under insurance. They are very clever and good at getting money for nothing in my opinion!

Having said all this, Ive just been to another vet who said its not herpes, that he really isnt well at all and has suggested the cat heaven in the sky.

Very upset and trying to prepare for the worst in the next few days.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Sorry to hear that. What did he say was the matter with him?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'm really sorry you're in such a rotten situation, but I have to say that I'd think long and hard about putting any cat of that age through surgery even if money was no object. That's not to say I wouldn't - it does, of course, depend on what's wrong and how hard it would be to fix. Good call getting a second opinion, even if the news isn't what you'd hoped. What do the second vets think is wrong? I've lost several oldies over the last few years - it's a tough time.

Give your old chap a gentle fuss from me. xx