Aunties cat suddenly died

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Aunties cat suddenly died

Post by Diana »

Hi all

It's been a long time since I was here, some may remember me. I lost my girl Shelly last year and soon after that I stopped coming here, I just felt a sense of grief everytime I came here so I stopped. But today I come back, sadly with awful news. I had to let it out and this site is the best place with everyone always on hand to comfort you.

My auntie and her family went away on 16th July. I always look after her cats everytime they are away. I go day and night, feed them and stay with them a few hrs. I went last night around 8.15pm and cats were fine. (She has two cats, male and female. Brother and sister) Both were happy, looked very healthy and otherwise their usual self. I go this morning and as soon as I entered the house, I knew something was not right. Usually when I enter both cats come running down stairs, today...nothing. I switched the alarm off and called out to them. Got no response. Then I looked up the stairs to see Millie (female) peering her head out of the banisters. She looked like she had just been frighten. She slowly walked down and at first I thought she had hurt herself. So I went up to help her and that's when I saw....Tommy (male cat) lying on the landing. I knew instantly that he was gone. Millie slowly crept passed him and went down. I couldn't see any external injuries...besides during the nights I leave them in and during the day they are out but due to weather here they had both been in since Saturday evening. They popped out for about 15mins Sunday morning and Tommy popped over the garden but was back within 5mins. When I went back in the evening they pooped out again for a mere few moments. So essentially they have been in since Saturday evening. So we can rule out RTA or anything like that.

Last night Tommy was fine and today dead. I am struggling to understand what has happened. I brought him to the vets my aunties use and he will be kept in cold storage til they are back which is Friday morning. Vet had a check and could see nothing externally to explain what had happened. So it's obviously internal. He was around 9yrs old and very very healthy. In the space of 12hrs he went for being alive and great to suddenly dead.

What can cause sudden death in cats?
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Aunties cat suddenly died

Post by meriad »

Diana, I am so sorry - what an awful thing to have happen.

There are so many reasons why a cat - any living creature - could pass away suddenly. I would suspect that Tommy may well have had an underlying and undiagnosed heart condition and unless the vet carries out a post mortem chances are no one will ever know.

:(
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

Well....I have just spoken to my auntie...and he and Millie were taken in for their annual vaccination just before they went away...and Tommy was panting abit. Now Tommy is along haired cat...and he is the largest long haired I have ever seen. Not fat, but a big boy cat. So he often has a groom to get rid of any matted fur and so on. But he hates vets...always gets nervous. But he has never panted before. This vaccination was 2.5 weeks ago. Now...I wonder if that was the early sign? Strange thing is I never saw him pant. Aunties vet put it down to him being nervous but I wonder now if that was the start.

Usually Heart issues is the most common cause of sudden death in cats I hear.
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

Hello this happened to me 4 weeks ago, I fed Luca Montabello as usual, he then ran inside, hid to attack my legs, attacked them then ran and hid in his favourite spot again, i went to turn laptop on and do a few chores, ( no more than 5 minutes) returned to see him 'sunbathing' on dining room floor...but he didn't move...he too had died , it was such a shock and still is, you cannot believe it can you?

He too must have had a massive heart attack as although been a stray until last year, had become a very chunky boy,

I do hope you do not blame yourself , as i kept saying what if's, but the cat chatters on here have been so supportive .

X Take Care X
Diana
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Diana »

I'm in utter shock. Cats with illness or long term issues, you have an idea why they may pass away. But this was so random. 8.30pm yesterday he was fine. Running around, looking chirpy and then 9.30am today, dead. So within a 11hr gap something happened. I think it happened perhaps a few hrs before I got there cause although he was starting to become stiffed, he still felt lukish warm. If it was a heart attack, I so hope to god he DID NOT suffer. And with owners on holiday, he was alone. I went twice a day, but to think he was alone with Millie besides hurts me.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

What a dreadful shock for you, I'm so sorry. Please don't blame yourself - by the sounds of it there's nothing you could have done. And remember that cats often go away on their own to die, he wouldn't have felt the same way about being alone that you or I might. He was at home in a familiar spot, which would have been a comfort. (((hugs)))
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Jan »

So sorry to read this .... such a shock to leave what seems a perfectly healthy cat, only to return hours later to find it gone from life.

The situation reminds me of what happened to my mother's cat (the one before Blackie) - she came down to find Sophie dead at only 7 years of age. No idea why - Mum said she'd seen no sign of illness.

Very upsetting :cry:
andybriz
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by andybriz »

This is so sad. Don't feel like you left him, you were there late in the evening and first thing in the morning. It was just his time to go. I'm not sure if vets to post mortems to try and find out the cause?
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Joanne_ »

oh my:( This is truly horrific:(