2 cats - new litter tray problems

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Nem
Returning Cat Chatter

2 cats - new litter tray problems

Post by Nem »

Hi, I have moved in with someone who also has a cat, and while they never fight this other cat uses both litter trays, even when we put them in different rooms. Because of it, my cat has now started peeing everywhere through the house except the litter trays. I have no idea what i can do about this and am looking for any ideas.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: 2 cats - new litter tray problems

Post by greenkitty »

Introduce another 2 litter trays.
Nem
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Nem »

so that there are four? i wouldn't have anywhere to put them all :lol: and i half suspect this cat will just use as many as there are around
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I would try experimenting with different kinds of litter - most cats have a preference for one kind over another, and if you are lucky these two cats won't go for the same kind
geckodiva
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by geckodiva »

Is it only weeing that is the problem, where does your cat poo, is it still using the litter tray or does it go outside?

Trying to work out the reason will go towards helping to sort it out. It could be your cat is trying to mark the new territory or it could be it is scared to use the tray because of the other cats smell. I guess stopping the other cat using your cats tray would help you work this out. But that is easier said than done unless you are around all the time. Could you put a cat flap (with a sensor that only let's your cat through) into a door to a separate room so as to separate the litter trays?
Nem
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Nem »

just peeing :) My cat spends a lot of the day outside where the other cat isn't allowed out yet. I'd say the poor thing just couldn't hold it and was set on not using the litter trays.

I will try going back to his old litter and see how that goes, thanks!

Yeah i think it might be because of the other cat's scent. Not sure i can stop the other cat using it unfortunately. As I'm renting installing the flap won't really be an option

I will clean the trays as soon as they are used along with trying his old litter and see how that goes, thanks for the tips!!
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I suspect part of the problem as that you've introduced the two cats too suddenly. The original cat is using both trays as a territorial issue, and your cat may be weeing around the house partly out of desperation to find a clean place to wee, and partly because she's so stressed. She's very confused about what's happened to her, the original cat is distressed about this intruder into it's territory who won't go away, and all in all they're pretty unhappy about the situation.

Go back to square one, keeping them separate for a while and providing additional litter trays. Then try following the tips in these links which will help you understand the problem.

http://www.catchat.org/hierarchies.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.catchat.org/urination.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In addition, make sure the litter trays are kept clean, and that they like the type of litter you use. Some cats are very fussy about using a soiled tray, and the type of litter.
Nem
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Nem »

Hi, I think you are right that it's a territorial thing and the other one is wanting somewhere clean. Apparently the cat has always had a habit of doing this in the last place he lived where he also lived with other cats. Even cat's he got along with well and cuddled up with. I think he might just be a bit arrogant!

They were introduced very slowly (i researched it beforehand and did everything as recommended - keep him in a safe room separate, let him look through the house when the other cat wasn't about so they picked up each others scent, kept this up a few weeks before small introductions and finally supervised time together).
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

There might be an issue with her feeling vulnerable in the litter box at the moment, as well as the smell.

This is an interesting article about litter boxes and I wonder whether the big transparent plastic one would be a good thing to try for her - along with some litter that doesn't smell of other cats

http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/litter ... ehaviorist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sanicat Oxygen.jpg
Sanicat Oxygen.jpg (9.2 KiB) Viewed 2588 times
I have found the best litter to be Sanicat Oxygen power non-clumping - I remove deposits and the majority of 'wee' into doggy bags then stir around and the litter absorbs moisture and smells and stays dry. It might just help.
Nem
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Nem »

Thanks will check it out!