Need help with nighttime cat screaming

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Jaylie23
New Cat Chatter

Need help with nighttime cat screaming

Post by Jaylie23 »

Hi there. Looking for some advice before I take my cat into the vet a second time because he screams at night.

One night about a month ago there was a major cat fight in our neighborhood. We have two brothers, ages 4 1/2. Up until this fight, they were best buddies. Slept together. Cleaned each other. After this fight, Frankie just started screaming every time Oscar came near him. So I immediately changed up their living space. They have their own room and the window is ground level. I closed the window and blinds so if these outdoor cats fought again or came around, the boys wouldn't see them. I moved the furniture around and provided each their own food and water dishes and each have their own litter boxes. I figured they could each stick to their own side of the room and Frankie could feel safe. It got to the point where fur was flying so I took Frankie to the vet concerned about possibly litter box issue based on what I was observing. She said it was the redirected aggression from the cat fight because physically he was healthy. Said what I was doing was good and that if I had to, I'd have to separate the cats and reintroduce them. And for one night we did move Frankie into another room. They do get closed in at night so they don't roam in the kitchen. This has been done all of their lives. I also bought some leave in calming shampoo, a feliway diffuser and some lavender air freshners for the room. Things got better and we were making it through the night without the screams until 2 nights ago.

The screaming usually starts about 20 minutes after I go to bed. My husband is still up at this time. He just yells at them to shut up from his spot on the couch. Last night it kept up through the night. Because we live in a duplex, after a second scream I usually go in to stop it when it wakes me. Oscar is usually no where near Frankie who is usually cowering under the dresser. This morning when it started again at 5. I got up and let them out. I went to lay on the couch. Frankie came and laid on me. He's a very mama sucky cat because my husband really doesn't like him because he's "so needy". I've explained to my husband not to have such a negative attitude towards him. That it doesn't help our problem. He doesn't believe me.

Yesterday I started using a calming aid in drop form in Frankie's food. Should I be concerned? These two were practically inseparable up until a month ago. Is there something or some way to train him that it's ok at night. That I'm not forgetting about him.

I really need some help! Thank you

Jennifer
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Need help with nighttime cat screaming

Post by greenkitty »

Poor Frankie sounds very traumatised by the fight. A couple of things, try some positive reinforcement and help Frankie associate Oscar with good things, I would try playing with them together, feed them together and reward positive interaction between the two of them with treats or fusses. Also have you tried leaving a light on for him at night or maybe a radio?
Jaylie23
New Cat Chatter

Re: Need help with nighttime cat screaming

Post by Jaylie23 »

I've been trying to have them do things together. I think Oscar is as confused as Frankie. They do have a couple night lights plugged in, in the bedroom. I have since we moved. I haven't tried a radio. May have to do that. At this point, I'm willing to try anything before going to the vet again. I found a leave in calming shampoo that helps. I thought we were through the crazies so I stopped. Guess that wasn't a good idea. Thanks for the radio idea. Will give that a go tonight.