My cat has looks like she has dandruff

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Scout Storm
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

My cat has looks like she has dandruff

Post by Scout Storm »

Hi
I am quite new to the forum, I check in most days, but this is my first real post.
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of anything to help with my cats dandruff problem. The vet mentioned something when they went for her annual check up but I cannot remember what she suggested. I have 2 black and whites, mother and daughter, Riley & Bailey and 2 Tabby sisters Scout & Storm. Riley seems to have the worst case of it.
Thank you for taking time to read this.
Anita :D
elastu
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: My cat has looks like she has dandruff

Post by elastu »

I am sure the vet will not mind you ringing and asking what was recommended.
Scout Storm
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Scout Storm »

Thanks for your reply, I will give them a call next week.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Could be something as simple as they're moulting, my guys get quite dandruffy at this time of year when they moult but probably worth a call to the vet to be safe.
geckodiva
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by geckodiva »

Pudding, one of my oldies, pretty much has dandruff all the time. It is especially bad when moulting. Otherwise she has a great coat and her skin is not irritated. She gets irritated at me trying to comb it out, I use a flea comb as it is fine enough to pick up most of the dandruff. (She doesn't have fleas). Her sister only gets dandruff when moulting. I've only mentioned it briefly to the vet but it was the 'doggy' vet who had a quick look but didn't seem concerned and didn't give any recommendations.
Scout Storm
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Scout Storm »

Thanks for all your replies. Yes they are all moulting at the moment, i do try and brush them but they do not really like it.
I have been sorting some paperwork and I have found a note I made about the product the vet suggested. She mentioned adding Nordic Naturals pet cod liver oil to their food once a day, has anyone used this product?
Thanks for all your help.
Anita
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Some of my cats have "dandruff" from time to time. The vet suggested the contents of odourless fish oil capsules be added to their food. The supermarket had them on special, so I bought a jar of 400 - BIG mistake. I put out four plates of wet food, three with the fish oil and one without - despite 6 hungry cats at the time, only the un-oiled wet food and bickies were eaten, and not one lick was even tried from the other three bowls. I know my cats have a pretty good diet, so I just ignore the dandruff and it goes away on its own. And I'M still taking fish oil tablets :roll:
Scout Storm
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Scout Storm »

Thank you Lyn for your reply.
I think I will just leave them with a little dandruff now and then as they really would not like a fishy taste on their food.

Thanks again.

Anita
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Jan »

Our cat had dandruff on his black coat - but that turned out to be the least of his problems.

However, to get his coat back into shape, the vet gave us some Coatex and told us to put one spray per day into his food for 4 weeks. It does say to use it under vet supervision.

When we took Blackie to the vets yesterday, the vet remarked several times what a beautiful, shiny coat the cat now has.

Perhaps I should add that our cat loves anything 'fishy'!