Unhappy cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Lallum
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Unhappy cat

Post by Lallum »

My cats go out each evening and return around 11pm for supper and bed. Last night I opened the front door to get them in and only 1 came in. Magic wasn't there. I looked and saw she was sitting on the fence between my garden and my neighbours garden. She was staring over my garden and seemed agitated. I left the door open and she still didnt come in. When I went back she was on the fence up next to the front door. She jumped down and came in. Before we got to the kitchen she started to howl and hiss at me. I put her supper in her bowl. She looked strange. She was covered in dust and her fur was standing on end. She sat next to her bowl not eating and still making a lot of noise. She refused her supper (doesnt happen here as the male cat will eat anything left behind). She walked back into the hall and started hissing and spitting at me. I couldn't get near her. My daughter came in and I told her I was worried. I put the food in the fridge and went to bed leaving Magic in the hall debating getting into her nest. She was very unhappy but I thought I'd watch her. She didn't eat breakfast and my daughter let her out at about 6.30am. She came back mid afternoon. She seems more settled but won't let us near her. She is spitting and hissing almost continually. I didn't hear a cat fight last night but it's definitely a possibility as we have ferals in the area and sometimes in the garden. It's also possible she's been fighting rats as she's a superb rodent hunter although she has has rat bites before. She's not asked to go out this evening and has been asleep off and on since about 5pm. She hasn't eaten anything and seems to be making herself look small and vulnerable (if that makes any sense). The other cat is his normal self.

Anybody got any thoughts? I can't touch her to see if there's any injury. Initially I thought she was badly injured somehow but I cant find any evidence of that. She isn't hissing as much but she definitely doesn't want tickles. She wants to be alone.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Unhappy cat

Post by Lilith »

Poor Magic! Something's obviously shocked her deeply. I've seen behaviour like this myself once when I was married and we were having a row (quiet, but intense.) One of my cats went into the cellar and started to howl. I went to her and picked her up - and she screamed and struggled (she was normally soppy) and up in the living room, scrabbled down over my back, ripping holes in my t shirt, before crouching on the floor, still howling, and wetting herself...Our 'vibes' had plainly got to her. She recovered later that day but I'll always feel very very sorry for causing that distress...

Another time one of my present cats, Mouse, had to be wormed; she hates even the back-of-the neck stuff and I'd had to grab her fast (these days I just take her into the bathroom.) On this occasion her father (they were ex-feral) who she didn't get on that well with, snuck up behind her just as I released her...Well! It was HIM who'd wormed her! So she thought anyway, judging by her behaviour.

So it could have been anything, big or small, that triggered off Magic's shock - but could it be that she's linking it in her brain with your appearance so soon after? That's awful for her and for you. She's obviously retained no fear of the outdoors where whatever it was did happen, but at the moment she's wary of you...could it have been a person who frightened her (not necessarily intentionally; maybe even tripped over her in the dark?)

It doesn't sound as if she's physically injured, if she's been out and about as usual this morning - at least I hope not, but to be so distressed that she won't eat and is avoiding you...you must feel as if you can't rest until you find out what did happen - you must feel equally traumatised!

I think all you can do is to give her space, talk gently to her, sneak her some favourite titbit when the male cat (is it Midnight?) isn't looking, to tempt her to eat, and let her come round in her own time - but what a horrible thing to happen, when you're the one who loves her.

I do hope she gets over this soon; hopefully once the initial shock has worn off she'll adjust to realising you're no threat, in fact her refuge. At least she seems to have decided to cling to home now, even if she's not eating yet, which could be a start. With very very best wishes for a swift recovery from this - and that goes for you both x
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by nannymcfee »

Can you check if her claws are ok, ? if they are scuffed and short would indicate being dragged, ie dog/car knock, if they are fine sounds like they had a bit of rough treatment from another animal, especially when she was covered in dust and fur standing on end.

One of mine came in once like that, i think it must have been another cat, couldn't get near ours for about a day, he just slunked into his bed and stayed there, would not even eat or let me touch him, but came round after a day,

Keep an eye on her, as sometimes cat bites can be hidden ( look near base of neck/shoulder blade) as they can be small but very deep,and quickly turn infected, hope she is ok.
bengalsmeow
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by bengalsmeow »

I reckon a feral? i would keep my cat away from the outside, other cats etc.