BARNEYS CYSTITIS - VET TRIP TONIGHT - WHAT NOW ?!!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

BARNEYS CYSTITIS - VET TRIP TONIGHT - WHAT NOW ?!!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi All

As you all may well know, Barney has been suffering on and off with cystitis for about a year now :cry: , He is generally a very happy boy and to see him squatting and straining, sometimes for about an hour a day, almost every day, before returning to his usual self as though nothing was wrong is becoming impossible !

We have seen 2 other vets, who, without any tests, have diagnosed 'stress', whilst I am not dismissing their diagnosis, I am determined to make sure there is nothing else going on with his bladder, as my old vet is now back from having a hip operation, I am taking him to see him tonight, as I know that he will insist on tests before concluding that 'stress' is the issue.

Just wondered if Barney would need to be put to sleep for this procedure or if there would be any other tests he may need ? I just know that if he had to stay overnight, this would stress him out to the max in any case, though I know it is for the best.

Any advice gratefully received !

PS: He has been ok the last few days too, just before the vets trip !!! :roll:
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: BARNEYS CYSTITIS - VET TRIP TONIGHT - WHAT NOW ?!!

Post by meriad »

as a first off, have they done a urine analysis?

To be honest, not sure what tests there are really, for bloods test he wouldn't require anaesthetic but not sure what they'd show up? Ultrasound could be doable with a sedation only I'd have thought whereas anything more invasive would require an anaesthetic.

Not sure any of the above would warrant an overnight stay though; I'm fairly certain you'd be allowed to bring him back home at the end of the day if Barney would cope better with that, and if need be bring him back next day? What would be worse for Barney one off trip and an overnight stay or a trip on two consecutive days?

Fusses to your boy and good luck!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Julie, thinking of you and Barney. Let us know how you go on. I hope you get some answers.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi all

Just back from vets where we saw our lovely vet at last, Barney is going in next Monday, for the day, for some pretty intense sort of x rays on his bladder and kidneys, apparently it is a technique where they catheterise him and 'blow up' the area with wind (!!) which shows any stones, crystals or tumours present, he will be asleep throughout the whole procedure. His urine test today showed up blood and also a problem with the white blood cells too...so it's just a wait till then.. :cry: ..In the meantime he has given him a steroid injection plus an anti biotic injection to keep him ok until then

Really looking forward to the 'no feeding after 6pm' rule the night before !!!! :(
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by hgale »

Hi Julie, we are sending you and Barney a nuzzle and lots of healing purrs!

I hope Barney will be feeling better soon.

Helen and Denver
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Hi Julie

Fingers crossed they can get to the bottom of this for your darling boy at long last.

Fusses to him from me x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Walesgang wrote:Hi Julie

Fingers crossed they can get to the bottom of this for your darling boy at long last.

Fusses to him from me x
Couldn't have put it better myself.

Fusses to Barney, (Hugs) to you.x
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

Hi Julie .... so very sorry to read that poor Barney is or has been having problems again. At least with the investigation you've outlined, you will hopefully be able to get to the bottom what causes the recurrent problems if it turns out not to be stress related.

Blackie sends his love to Barney - and so do I - and to you. Know all to well how distressing and worrying it is watching a cat trying to pee and being unable to.

Jan xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi

Thank you all, I am dreading leaving him behind on Monday, I have to drop him off at 08:30 and collect him at 4pm, he will be terrified and I will be so upset, I feel terribly guilty for putting him through this, it tears me apart, as much as I know it's for the best..... :cry:
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I'll be thinking about you both on Monday. (Hugs)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Upsetting though it is, I definitely think you're doing the right thing in trying to find out more about what's causing poor Barney all these problems. I'll be thinking of you both on Monday, give him a fuss from me and a brotherly bump from Daz. xx
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Thinking of you both, I really hope they find some answers for you x