Renal Food Recommendations

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Renal Food Recommendations

Post by greenkitty »

Tig has his second ultrasound scan today but it's looking very much like he has PKD. If that's confirmed he'll have to move onto a renal diet and I want to prepared as I know it can be a battle to get them to eat renal food.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Any brands better than others? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Been a rubbish year for my furries :(
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Renal Food Recommendations

Post by meriad »

Have a look here Julia: http://www.felinecrf.org/which_foods.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I unfortunately am of no use as neither Jasper nor Molly would eat anything that was good for them so I just ended up feeding their usual food that they would eat and giving them their daily dose of Fortekor
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Likewise here. I never had much luck with any wet renal food, despite buying it over & over again. I usually has to compromise by feeding Felix senior pouches.

The dry that seemed to go down best was one called Happy Cat that Zooplus sell http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_ ... eds/145112" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; although the phosphorus content is higher than Hill's and RC

It is a shame you can't get trial sized bags of renal foods. Purina NF also went down well at times. Even Hill's k/d. I never had much joy with the RC one.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Tommy will eat his Hills renal - sometimes, but as long as he eats something and gets his medicine (usually mixed with the jelly from a tin of Butchers or something similar) every morning I'm quite happy for him to eat the same as the others. They get Felix AGAIL, Coshida and Gourmet wet and James Wellbeloved, Arden Grange or something similar dry. He also LOVES his chicken.

I would be happier if he stuck to his diet, but you know cats..... :roll:
Suze
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Suze »

Hi Julia, sorry to read about Tig. One of mine, Polly, was also diagnosed with polycystic kidney disease a short while ago. My vet says it's genetic and quite unusual in moggies, Polly is a rescue so we don't know anything of her history prior to her going to the rescue centre.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread about foods. We've only tried Polly on Hills k/d pouches, we tried both salmon & chicken but she really wasn't keen on either do at the moment she's on felix senior pouches.

I've asked about binders but the vet said based on her bloods, that he didn't think there was a need. I'm a bit confused by that because everything I've read here over the past few years seemed to suggest they were worthwhile.

The thing that has made the most difference with Polly has been starting her on a potassium supplement, obviously under the vets instructions and based on her blood tests. She's been like a different cat, very very affectionate & very foody (just not with the k/d). She's always been quite aloof before, it's really quite strange.
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Joanne_ »

My cat Jimmy was very fussy but would eat royal canin brand for dry but with wet we just gave him normal with a special powder mixed in from the vet(forget the name)and he ate this really well.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Tig does definitely have PKD so we're in the process of switching him over, we're starting on the RC and so far he likes the dry but isn't so keen on the wet, even mixed with his normal food it will be that left at the bottom of the dish! There are two other RC wet to try but they're not as low as the one we're currently trying. I know the binders on normal wet food is an option but it has to be a last resort and we need to try the others first. At least RC will give you your money back if they won't eat it! I have a feeling this is going to be an expensive exercise!
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Grace56 »

My late Oscar died of renal failure in 2012 and I am wondering how it can be prevented. What foods/brands to avoid and what's best for them to eat. I don't want Dave to go the same way as Oscer did IF it can be prevented.

Sorry to sabotage your thread, Greenkitty.