BARNEY BACK IN HOSPITAL TONIGHT !!!!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

BARNEY BACK IN HOSPITAL TONIGHT !!!!

Post by JulieandBarney »

As you may be aware, Barney went to my vet Monday regarding his recurrent cystitis, he was due to have a full bladder and kidney scan next Monday (24th). He was given an anti biotic injection and steroid injection as he had blood in his water and infection present.

Fast forward to yesterday when I returned from work and my husband tells me that he seems a bit 'mopey and quiet' ...sure enough, he wasn't his usual self and turned his nose up at any sort of food at all, even the malt sachets which he goes crazy for he just turned away.....

Thixs morning, thankfully I have a day off work, he was much worse, terribly lethargic and his breathing very erratic and fast, he just lay on his side breathing heavily, then occasionally trying to pass water or motion, then giving up to just collapse on his side again.. :cry:

Emergency trip to the vet and she has told us that indeed he is very ill, she has admitted him for blood tests and possible further x rays if the bloods show up a kidney problem...I am awaiting a phone call as to his fate and it's tearing me apart, as I type this I am in tears, he looked so terrified when I left and I can't help thinking that the diagnosis will be bad,,,it's just a feeling I have and it's breaking my heart.....I would welcome any support or input from you wonderful people on here who have helped me so much in the past......................x
Last edited by JulieandBarney on Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: BARNEY BEEN ADMITTED TO HOSPITAL IN EMERGENCY SO WORRIE

Post by JulieandBarney »

Just after typing this I received a call from the vet to say that the blood tests showed up high white blood cell count and protein, but nothing too alarming...but she was gravely concerned about his breathing, she thinks its an indication of something far more serious, again I await another call but it really doesn't soung good...I am beyond devastated..........
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Oh God Julie, what now?! :o

I have to go out now - was just glancing at CC while I had a cuppa. I will be thinking of you and praying for some good news while I am out.

((Hugs))

Sue
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

We have just received the call we never wanted...it seems that Barney has lesions on his lungs indicating a tumour..they are keeping him overnight on a drip to hydrate him and will give him anti biotics in the vain hope that it is a lung infection, she will call me in the morning, but it looks like our boy will be going to the bridge tomorrow and I can't bear the pain..
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I'm SO sorry to hear the news Julie. I am still hoping it is something treatable.

I wish there was something else I could do or say.

((HUGS))

Sue xx
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Oh Julie.

I don't really know what to say. I wish I could help. Let's just hope and keep fingers and paws crossed that it's an infection that can be treated quite simply.

Thinking of you and your beautiful boy xxx
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

So sorry to hear this. Keeping fingers crossed for you. X
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Julie, I am so sorry to hear this. It's hard to know what to say at a time like this but know we are all thinking about you and lovely Barney.
I sincerely hope it is something that can be cured easily.

Thinking of you both ((hugs)) and a gentle fuss to Barney. xx
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Dear Julie, my heart is breaking for you and your beautiful boy. I have posted TTCF in more depth.
XXXXX
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you all...Ian and I have been inconsolable tonight, the tears haven't stopped...thinking that our lovely boy is alone in a pen on a drip thinking that we have abandoned him and afraid...these thoughts are tearing me apart....I look at the empty chair next to me where he used to sit and biff me with his paw, where he used to sit and wait for Ian to come home each morning after I left for work and 'share' his breakfast with him.....

Last night he lay by my side, at my head, all night wheezing away and I laid my hand on his little head and stroked him and massaged him until he got comfortable, he never left my side.....I don't know how I will ever get over his loss, we adored this wonderful ball of fluff, he was our baby, our precious, precious little boy......our beautiful, 'hooty' Barney Boy.....
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Ah, sweetheart....I really feel for you both. I understand the pain you are going through. But, is it possible that he could come home to you. I don't know the full extent of what you the vet has told you.

I will say a little prayer for you and Barney. It's not everyone's thing but I think it is a great comfort to know that someone is listening.

Thinking of you

Grace xxx
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Joanne_ »

Oh my:( I know your pain:'( Lets pray the drip helps him in some way. big hugs x
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Good luck for tomorrow. I know it's difficult, but try not to think the worst until it happens. They wouldn't be giving ABs if they didn't think it was worth a try.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Oh no, Julie - I was just catching up on here when I spotted this. I'm so very sorry - poor Barney. And poor you.

If it's any help, when Basil and Daz have been overnight at my surgery I have always been very grateful to the lovely vet nurses and the care they take of their patients, and since I have been more involved in cat rescue I have often been 'behind the scenes' and witnessed the extra cuddles given to cats that were scared or unhappy. I'm sure your surgery is much the same, and Barney will have his own 'guardian angel' taking care of him whilst he's there. It's not ideal, but it's where he needs to be right now.

Everything here crossed for him, and for some good news in the morning. (((hugs)))
Bubbleicious5
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 10

Post by Bubbleicious5 »

Hi Julie

I share your pain. My Ollie is at Dick White Referrals and yesterday the vet called saying he was 95% sure that Ollie has a malignant tumour.

Myself and Phil my partner were also crying non stop last night. The vet has said a CT scan will show us what we are dealing with but if his 95% diagnosis is correct the tumour doesn't respond well to drugs and heavy surgery may not be an option.

I'm so sorry to hear about Barney and I pray we both get better news today.

Sam xxx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: BARNEY BEEN ADMITTED TO HOSPITAL IN EMERGENCY AN UPDATE

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi all

First of all. thank you all for your thoughts and prayers for my boy...Sam,my heart goes out to you, we have spent all night in tears last night, Ian prepared a little area of the garden for him to be laid to rest....Please, please, let me know how you get on, my thoughts are with you xx

Now to the vet's call this morning.....her first words to me were "Well, he has suprised us....." he has responded well to the anti biotics and was asking for fuss this morning and managed to eat a dish of food, she said he was quite happy ! She was as amazed as we were !!...She did warn us that he may have just picked up because of the drip rehydrating him, however, she did emphasise how shocked she was at his appearance, she is absolutely astounded.....we have to call back at 4pm, as they are keeping him on a drip today, but if he is the same....then he can come home with anti biotics !!!!!!!!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

She wants to see him again Monday / Tuesday and no doubt he will need another scan of his lungs, he's not out of the water yet, but we have been spared a little time it seems at the moment.........xxx
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Oh Julie, I am so so very happy for you - I haven't been on CC for a while and my heart sank when I read your post this morning.

Oh phew and fingers and toes and paws and anything else that can be crossed is crossed that you still have plenty of happy days with your gorgeous boy. Goes without saying but give him a gentle fuss from me when you get him home x
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Hi Julie......I am so pleased for you. That is BRILLIANT! Cats are so surprising and I've seen it myself a few times when you think the worst.

I have my fingers crossed and Dave has his fat little paws crossed that all continues well for you both.

((Hugs)) and a gentle fuss to Barney.

Grace xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oh phew ..... just phew!! ((((hugs))))
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Just want you to know that we're thinking of you here too. The thought that you might lose precious Barney so soon is unimaginably awful. So good that he has perked up an the drip and it looks like they are taking good care of him. All paws are crossed and every possible good wish is floating your way at the moment.

Darling Barney, we're hoping and praying for good news xxx
notjustacat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by notjustacat »

My heart goes out to you Julie and your husband. We both adopted about the same time after loosing our long time furries. Unfortunately no matter how much experience we might have these situations are never going to be easy. At least Barney is in good hands bless him. Also, he could not have wished for a better person to have adopted him. All paws are crossed here for him from Cheyenne and me.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Julie - I'm SO happy for you, Ian and Barney. :D

Everything crossed that it's not as bad as we feared. Gentle fusses to your boy and tell him not to frighten you like that again!
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Edward, its good to hear from you, I often wonder how you and Cheyenne are getting along now.....

Well, Barney is home now, he has a little bandage on one paw and a little gauze on the other ...his breathing is still a little fast, to say the least, but he is a little better than he was, in saying that he is on his chair in the garden !!....

We have been left with anti biotics 'Clavaseptin' 50mg to give him tomorrow evening, as he already has had an anti biotic injection before we took him home. The vet said that he was much brighter though his breathing "still wasn't right.." but that could be indicative of a lung infection...he has eaten at the vets ok, though not eaten here yet, I have to keep an eye on his breathing for the next 3 days and if I am concerned, to call them immediately, thankfully they have 24/7 emergency call outs at the surgery. his check up is on Tuesday.

We were told to keep him indoors, but the poor fellla was desperate to get out and lie on his chair in the garden where he always lay, just outside our patio door....so that is where he is now, his little heart still racing a little, though he looks more comfortable..

.Ian is at work tonight, so I have the responsibility of making sure all is ok with him and I can't stop watching him, as I am still not happy with him, it's driving me crazy !...I will bring him in about 7pm whether he likes it or not !! My nerves couldn't stand leaving it any later than that......the vet said that his bladder/cystitis issues will still need to be addressed, thuogh obviously his scansd for next Monday have been postponed....though at the moment I think he may be a little constipated !! Could this be anything to do with the anti biotics does anyone know ?.........

In al honesty, I don;t think he is fit to be home, he is refusing any food and struggling to pass water or motion....I truly believe that he will be back in on an emergency this weekend, so sad, when I expected to be so happy.....xx
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Fingers crossed he improves and you don't end up at the emergency vets
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

:shock: OMG :cry: what a roller-coaster ride of emotion and tears to read all this. I've only just caught up with it all and have veered between feelings of extreme sadness and sorrow to feelings of hope that all will in the end will be well for Julie, her OH and little Barney.

How very distressing for you to go through all this - my thoughts are with you both and Barney - and hope so much that little Barney will pull through and be right as rain in the end.

As for AB causing constipation - this can happen to humans taking them so don't see why it shouldn't also happen to animals including cats.

Thinking of you Julie, Ian + Barney xx

Jan
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

Gosh what a roller coaster you've been through, Hector had a bacterial lung infection and it took a while to get on top of. Keeping everything crossed for your handsome fella x
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Joanne_ »

How is he today?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I was wondering how he was doing too.

You're both in my thoughts. xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Sorry for the delay in responding to you all...

Yesterday my Father passed away, and though it was expected, it still hit me like a sledgehammer, he was a wonderful Dad and didn't deserve the dreadful agony of the last 6 months, he had advanced Alzheimers, heart failure and towards the end his kidneys were failing....If this had been an animal, then it would have been classed as cruelty to have kept him alive.....

Barney started to recover drastically, at about the same time my Dad passed away, 7:45am yesterday, he had been quite ill overnight and refused any food or drink and was hiding away, he would not come near me, I called my husband, Ian, at 7am and told him that I think he needs to be readmitted and that we would need to face losing him, as he was so ill, suddenly just before Ian came home from work, he jumped on my lap and began to purr, and ate a bowl of his favourite food and cooked chicken in one go... his breathing began to slow down to an almost normal rate and ever since he has been happy again.......my Father lived for his cats towards the end, he adored them, they were all he could remember in his mind.........x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

So sorry to hear about your dad Julie, that is such a cruel way to go. At least he is at peace now, but it is so hard to watch someone go through that and be unable to do anything about it.

I'm pleased that Barney is doing so much better and hope he has 'turned a corner'.

God bless and (Hugs)

Sue xx