BARNEY BACK IN HOSPITAL TONIGHT !!!!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Willowgill
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: BARNEY BEEN ADMITTED TO HOSPITAL IN EMERGENCY AN UPDATE

Post by Willowgill »

I'm so sorry for your loss Julie - it's 5 years on Friday since my own dad passed away with Alzheimers followed by my mum with the same dreadful illness 2 years later. It is such a cruel disease and by the end its actually something of a relief when they are finally at peace. In between that I also lost my wonderful soulmate Harry and went through exactly the same scenarios with him as you are going through with Barney so I can truly appreciate your situation. I'm pleased he's rallied again - it's such a roller coaster of emotions especially coping with everything else. My thoughts are with you.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Grace56 »

Dear Julie, I am so sorry for the loss of your dad. Even though one expects it, it is still a shock. I know that is how it was when my mum died of multi infarction dementia in 2006.

But...how wonderful that Barney perked up like that...and how strange. I always believe that there is a reason for these things and I bet your dad's close connection with cats had something to do with it.

Cats are so enigmatic and so mysterious, I believe they feel much more than we will ever know.

I hope your boy continues well for a long time to come.

God bless and take care

Grace xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so sorry for your loss, Julie. I lost my mum in similar circumstances four years ago and, though it was a relief when she finally passed, it hit me like a sledgehammer too. Thinking of you. (((hugs))).

Fusses to Barney, I'm glad he rallied so he could be of some comfort to you. xx
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

I'd like to add my condolences too, Julie. Such a cruel illness - cruel for the sufferer and equally cruel for the family to watch the disintegration of a person.

My mother has dementia (as well as being physically very frail) and I dread what may happen to her further down the line - or years, who knows how long? Am sure no matter how prepared you think you are for the inevitable, nothing really prepares you for it.

Very pleased to read about Barney making a recovery at just the right time. Keep us posted on how he is doing when you can.

Jan x
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Joanne_ »

I am so so sorry to hear about your father:'( Even when expected it does not make it any easier:( My nan died in march due to heart failure and it was awful seeing her body just get worse and worse. Like you said if it had been an animal it would have been cruel keeping them alive. I hope your fathers passing was peaceful. I also hope your kitty keeps improving x
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

Oh Julie, I'm so sorry for what you're going through at the moment. Losing your Dad must be so painful, and your roller coaster with Barney sounds exhausting. I do hope the vet can make him comfortable to give you as much quality time as possible with him. Take care. x
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: BARNEYADMITTED TO HOSPITAL - EVEN MORE HEARTACHACHE TONI

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you all so much for your heartfelt responses and thoughts, I have read them time and time again, bless you all for taking the time to share your thoughts with me...

More drama for poor old Barney yet again tonight, he has been trying desparately to have a 'pooh' all day, straining and straining and then just flopping down and giving up...His follow up appointment was 4pm today, so I duly took him to the vet and explained that he was struggling, in fact he just lay on his side on the vets table, again she was concerned, though pleased that his breathing was now ok...because he may have a blockage, my poor boy was given an enema and had his rear end examined, he went absolutely crazy ! I had to leave my husband in with the vet, it upset me to see him so afraid...the upsghot is that he is back to the vet tomorrow afternoon and if he is still unwell, he will be admitted again, for a general anaesthetic and everything done, lung scan again and also the bladder and kidney scan plus his bowels emptied.....he has been very, very quiet since we returned home and is just lying looking out of the window, I assume because of the experience it has worm him out....please, please anyone experienced this at all...my life has been one terrible roller coaster of emotions this last week, along with little or no sleep this is one more worry I really dont need....xx
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Oh, poor little chap. And poor you, Julie having to see him like this. I really hope and pray all will be well with Barney. I feel very sad for you and I know how worried you must be.

Thinking about you and yours,
Grace xx

((Hugs)) to you and gentle fusses to dear Barney.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Oh Julie, I just tuned in to CC again, for something to do while dinner is cooking. At the moment I'm a bit concerned about Tommy. He is starting to be picky with his food and sometimes it is taking a few attempts to get him to eat anything. I've stopped feeding Grace as she has become the feline waste disposal unit :roll: She gets fatter and he is losing weight!

He is quite happy in himself but I am worried about him all the same and am contemplating a trip to the vet.

Then I read your post and think what am I worrying about?!

How I wish I could do more than offer you my thoughts and prayers at this time. (Hugs) to you sweet girl.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

So sorry to hear about your Dad Julie and about poor Barney, the poor lad is really going through it. I hope they're able to find the cause of all his back end problems and get him (and you) some relief from all of this x
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Jan »

So sorry to read that poor Barney is once more going through the mill - and of course you too at what must be such a difficult time for you.

Wish I could pass on some helpful info to you, but all I can do is tell you that you and Barney are constantly in my thoughts at this time and hope that little Barney will be restored to full health by your vet.

xx
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Dear Julie,

So sorry to hear things are so difficult for you on all fronts. Try to keep calm about Barney. If he's sitting looking out of the window it sounds like he's a little more relaxed. Of course he will have hated any procedure, most cats will - try not to worry too much if he is going in tomorrow. It's the right thing for him at the moment - it sounds like he's stronger (strong enough to kick up a fuss) and his breathing is better, which is something to hold on to.

Hopefully tomorrow the vet will be able to get to grips with what is troubling him and hopefully sort out the constipation issue. Then your little lad will feel much more comfortable. You must be exhausted by now, both physically and emotionally - the vet nurses will provide a calm and watchful environment for dear Barney and you can, I hope, get a little rest. We're all thinking of you and willing Barney to make a real turn for the better here. Try to keep calm and trust your vet to do the right things for him. If he is constipated it needs sorting out, and then perhaps they can suggest something else for his diet to help with transit.

Can he eat turkey and rice? We have a good biscuit here that Mr Socks loves and helps keep him from 'scootching' his bum in discomfort. Please let us know how things go. We're all rooting for you and lovely Barney.

xx
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

praying his is on the up soon x
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh darling boy, I am sorry he is in the wars again. I think Jackie has wise words - he will be quiet after that trip to the vet. Thinking of you both and sending you lots and lots of love. xxx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you all so much...

Well, after having an enema and also a dose of lactulose, he still hasn't passed anything at all...this morning he was bright again and 'doing the dough' on our lap..now he is lying in the greenhouse sleeping, having tried to 'go' a couple of times with no luck..

I dread putting him through yet another vet visit and more tests, when he was crying out yesterday I could quite happily have thumped the vet !! It went through me and I had to leave the room..he must think that I am causing him this pain and the thought tears me apart......x
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Walesgang »

Oh no Julie

I don't know how I missed this yesterday :(

You are really having an awful time of it. I don't really know what to say other than you have every positive vibe and hugs from me xxxx
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

have you tried adding olive oil to his foods? I know any mushy cat food sets ours off.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Joanne

Yes, olive oil and lactulose, to no avail, I am dreading this afternoon as I know she will keep him in to complete all the scans, bladder, lungs and bowel and I can't stand the thought of what the outcome may be, plus I feel a dreadful sense of guilt as he is so happy sitting outside at the moment...and I am going to ruin it all by dragging him yet again to the vets....it makes me feel terrible...x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Oh Julie, I really wish I could say something of use to you. Wishing you both all the best. (((hugs)))
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

flowerforJulie.jpg
(196.61 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Oh Julie i am so sorry to hear about your father,and Barney. I cannot offer anything apart from my 'virtual' flowers from my little garden ,just picked whilst thinking about you and all the heartache you are going through, take care,

much love
Elaine X
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

It's so tough when they're like this, with multiple issues to manage. I hope the vet can make him more comfortable. I know you'll do what's right for him. xx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: BARNEY BACK IN HOSPITAL TONIGHT !!!!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you al for your fantastic words of support...and Elaine, that flower was a lovely, lovely thought, thank you, it was gratefully received...

Yet another update....Ian, my husband, picked me up from work to say that once again Barney was very lethargic, when we got home, he was nowhere to be found...he never goes out of our garden and certainly would not have the strength at the moment to jump over a 6 foot fence, we spent a long time searching the bushes and foilage...he had gone..Ian was beside himself and upset that he didn't bring him into the house before he collected me from work, he literally said to me "He's gone to die somewhere, I don't think he will be back..." we searched and searched and called and called, Barney is pretty much like a dog when you call him, he appears instantly, but nothing...in the process Ian stood on a 4" nail which I had to pull from his foot too...the only place he may have gone was our lovely neighbour who also has 3 cats and a huge garden...so searching their garden, Ian eventually found him lying under the shed obviously in distress, it took a while but we managed to get him out and headed straight to the vet again, he hadn't passed any pooh in days and he could not even stand up he was so weak, thank heavens we got to see a fantastic vet, who was marvelous with him...she took a while before finding out that he had a blckage in his back end which was stuck, basically like a 'plug' which was jammed, stopping anything being passed, hence his obvious pain and constant straining with no results.....she admitted him immediately and he will be put under anaesthetic tonight for an operation to remove the blockage, before being placed on a drip overnight....

She did say that their was a risk because of his previous lung problems, but its a risk we have to take, we are now awaiting a call to see if he pulled through it, if he does she feels confident that he will be ok......please send some vibes for our boy tonight, he has been through a terrible time this last week......as soon as we hear I will come back to you....xx
Joanne_
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joanne_ »

Poor Barney:( You must be past your self with worry:'( I will be praying for him. He is in good hands now. How long will the op take?
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi Joanne

I really have no idea, I am still waiting for a call....thankfully our vets are 24/7 and have their own hospital and in house laboratory and x ray services....if we lost our boy whilst under the anaesthetic at least I know he would have gone in peace and not suffering, lying under a shed in pain....my poor, poor boy, the vet was lovely and strolked him all the time he was there, her first words were " Come here Barney, you poor fella, you have been through the mill...." she was so caring it upset me again....x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Thinking of you all tonight and sending all good vibes your way.

Hope you hear some good news very soon.

Sue xx
Shelly and Dora
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Shelly and Dora »

Julie just to say you are very definitely in our thoughts.

Come on little Barney. Let's get you get better and home again.

Shelly and Dora xx
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Fingers crossed you get some good news soon
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Oh Julie!!

Thinking of you all so much and hoping the lovely Barney will pull through.

We're all here for you and anxiously waiting for news.

Xxxxxx
nannymcfee
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nannymcfee »

if Barney has a blockage due to faecal impaction, which would get worse as nothing can get past , even though he knew he wanted to go, can make you feel so very lethargic , loss of appetite,pain and much more and feel really ill, hope it was this and the best place at the moment for Barney will be the vets care.

fingers crossed X
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

Thank you all once again

Just got the call from the vet. she said Barney was pretty backed up with lots of fur and all sorts and he has been given a proper 'clean out' ....he got through the anaestheic fine, though she did say that he still has a slight problem with his lungs, as his breathing dipped a little through the operation, so she will be keeping an eye on that now.....she remained with him until he awoke from the sedation, in her words she said " as soon as he woke up, he reached his head across and started rubbing my hands as though to say he was so relieved." She seems to think that it's been a build up of everything that has happened to him recently. just coming to a head, he is now being put on a drip and monitored overnight...we are hopeing with everything we hold dear that we can pick him up to come home tomorrow.. :) My poor boy is a fighter...he wants to stay a little while longer with us and we will do everything in our power to make his life the happiest he could ever have.......

Seems like Barney may need to stay on a small dose of lactulose each day from now....we just have to hope and pray that this has done the trick for now......will update you all again tomorrow...thank you all for your thoughts and support.....xxx