Ollie

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Bubbleicious5
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 10

Ollie

Post by Bubbleicious5 »

Sad news I'm afraid. The scan confirms an aggressive tumour.

The vet says he is comfortable and there was no need to rush up there now.

I'm so distraught. But I don't think it's fair to bring him home and watch him deteriorate. I'm sad to say I think it will be kinder to send him on his journey tomorrow. I will of course be with him.

Xxx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Ollie

Post by JulieandBarney »

Oh Sam

I totally agree with your sentiments and thoughts, I would do exactly the same given that choice, I so feel for you, Ollie and your partner, you know I have been going through similar, my heart goes out to you.....You have done all you can for Ollie and you are giving him the most dignified and selfless act of love you could possibly give him, I understand the utter grief and heartbreak...I was where you are yesterday, and whilst Barney may be back now, we have him on borrowed time, this I am pretty certain of, so we will be going through theses feelings yet again, as we did last night....please stay on here and keep posting, without letting my feelings out to the most wonderful, understanding people on here , I think I would go crazy with sadness......sending you my love and to let you know that myself and everyone else on here will always be here for you, I mean that with the utmost sincerity,,,thinking of you and will have Ollie in my thuoghts tonight.....I totally undertsand how you feel, my eyes have no more tears to shed after yesterday, they stung so much I could hardly see.......xxx
Bubbleicious5
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Bubbleicious5 »

Thank you Julie

It is through tears that I read your post. I hope you have Barney for a long time to come.

I'm so heartbroken about Ollie. His brother Pickle must wonder where he is. All my cats know something is wrong.

You never know you're making the right decision though and it never ever gets easier. The pain is unbearable. Ollie is such a talented cat. Loved catching crisps or pieces of cheese in his mouth. He is very clever and so so handsome.

Yet another cat shaped hole will appear in my heart. It's only a year since I let Morris go. Life is never fair.

Thank you for your thoughts xxxxxx
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieandBarney »

I know how you feel, it seems like 5 minutes since we lost our last boy, 'CC' to oral cancer, and that was 3 years ago....I don't think Barney will be with us for any length of time now, his breathing is still fast and he is not himself..I predict an emergency over the weekend, I hope I am wrong but I know my boy too well......having him next to me and wondering how long it will be, is tearing me apart, as much as I wanted him home, it's heartbreaking....xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

So sorry Sam (and Julie) I don't know what to say. You are in my thoughts this weekend ((Hugs)) to you both.

Sue xx
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry to hear this, Ollie is lucky to have such a good owner who is willing to take his pain. Sadly it's never easy
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Sweetheart, I am so sorry. Nothing I can say can ease your heartache; but everyone here understands completely how you feel.

It is the ultimate price we pay for loving these enigmatic and beautiful creatures like Ollie, and Barney and all our beloved cats, and the measure of our grief is, I believe the measure of our love for them and the place they keep in our hearts.

My thoughts are with you, Sam, and your family, with Julie and family and all those who are grieving and sad tonight. And of course, with Ollie and Barney and all our fur babies.

God bless.

Grace and Dave xxx
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

So sorry to read this, thinking of you and Ollie ((hugs)) xx
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

So sorry, it's such an awful decision but I think you're right it's kinder to let them go then watch them deteriorate, thinking of you both x
Bubbleicious5
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Bubbleicious5 »

Just spoken with vet. He says he's quite bright this morning and has eaten 70% of his breakfast.

This makes it worse. Am I jumping the gun. But vet thinks I'm doing kindest thing. Doesn't seem it though when he's eating again.

Heart wrenching pain. Xx
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

pain killers can make them feel better than they did for some while - during my Trigger's last month, when he had a rapidly growing sarcoma, he was always looking for food, and I think daily Metacam had a lot to do with that

he even ate a piece of liver between having a cannula fitted and the final injection, while the vet waited needle in hand - I find the memory of that quite comforting

Ollie will need some food in his belly for his journey to the Bridge, and you will in time be glad you didn't let him become wretched at his end - he doesn't know, and you will have all the wretchness and pain, and that is how we show our love for them
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Hi Bubbleicious, it's always difficult to be in this situation I feel your pain having adopted many older cats over the years and having to make the decision over. What I always do is ask my vet what they would do if it were their cat and take it from there. I am sure whatever you decide will be the best for Ollie, take care xx
Bubbleicious5
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Bubbleicious5 »

It is with heavy hearts that we sent Ollie on his journey to Rainbow Bridge. He was up against something that he was never going to win and it was evident today that he wasn't himself. Knowing he would deteriorate we had to do the decent thing and let him go with dignity. He was comfortable and went to sleep in my arms. The pain is agony but I'm taking his pain away. My Ollie Beak, my Panda Boy, my Meerkat you will be missed so much but may you be cancer free and reunited with Jake, Willow and Morris and may you also meet Elwood at Rainbow Bridge. Play hard little one. Love you always. Paw prints in our hearts. Xxxxxx
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

I am so sorry, Sam. You did the right thing for Ollie but it is still so painful. My thoughts are with you and yours at this very sad and difficult time.

Sleep well, little one.

Love Grace and a gentle meow from Dave. xxx
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

So sorry, thinking of you at this very sad time.
God bless gorgeous Ollie xx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

So sorry to hear the news.
Bubbleicious5 wrote:The pain is agony but I'm taking his pain away.
How true. :(

RIP little one. ((HUGS)) to you Sam.

Sue xx
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

So sorry Sam; your gorgeous boy Ollie. He sounds an amazing character and he will never be forgotten. I hope you have lots of pictures of him and can find one to take pride of place in your home. You did the right thing for him and you were lucky to have him fall asleep in your arms - it was definitely his time. Thinking of you - your heart is broken but your baby is at peace.
xx
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'm so very sorry. You did absolutely the right thing, and it doesn't seem fair that the 'right thing' is so painful, but as has been said, you have made sure that Ollie didn't suffer. "Better a day too early than a day to late" was once said to me on here when I was in similar circumstances, and I really believe that to be true. (((hugs)))

Rest in peace clever boy Ollie. xx
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

So sorry to hear this, thinking of you x
Bubbleicious5
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Bubbleicious5 »

Thank you all for your kind words. When he fell asleep in my arms I felt peace but now the pain of loss sinks in. Not seeing his cheeky face peering over the bannister when I return home, not the gentle swipe of a paw as I run a hand over his head and back.

I'm lucky to still have 5 cats to love and be strong for including his brother Pickle. You wonder what goes through his mind as they both used to eat on the kitchen table together.

Ollie will be individually cremated on Saturday at 10.30 and I will attend to say goodbye. I've done this for all my babies.

I was saddened yesterday to receive an email from Animal Friends - my insurance - just saying how sorry they were to hear of Ollie's passing then giving details of claim - Dick Whites had obviously done all the paperwork - then going on to say how much they'd paid etc and then that the policy was now cancelled.

Insensitive? Or just business? Bearing in mind Ollie only travelled to the Bridge on Saturday at around 1pm.

Xxx
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Bubbleicious5 wrote:Insensitive? Or just business? Bearing in mind Ollie only travelled to the Bridge on Saturday at around 1pm.
Efficient, but tactless.

If you wanted them to be quick - say car or house insurance - it would take forever! :roll:

I will be thinking of you on Saturday, (Hugs)

Sue x