Hostas

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Hostas

Post by mr_frisky »

When I go back this morning I noticed Tango chewing on a stringy leaf. I looked them up and they are meant to be toxic, possibly causing 'depression, vomiting and diarrhoea', but other websites said they were worse.

She seems ok, has been checked by the vets, who told me to watch her for 24 hours for symptoms (they said they might need to admit her, give bloodtests, drip etc, but after speaking to the animal poison centre said I could come and pick her up).

What fun. First lilies, now hostas. I suppose I'll have to keep an eye on my soapwort too.

Anyone had any trouble with a cut munching on hostas, and did they cause any ill effects?
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Hostas

Post by meriad »

In all honesty - if you googled all the plants in your garden you'd find that most of them would be toxic in some form or the other. Mostly it seems that cats (and animals in general) seem to have an instinct as to what they can and can't eat (the major problem with lily's is the accidental ingesting of the pollen, not chewing of the plants)

I have a lot of hostas in my garden, admittedly none of mine seem overly keen on chewing on plants though.

Hopefully Tango is totally fine and doesn't show any symptoms and lesson learned.

Fusses to her
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Never had a problem with any of mine, or at least I'm not aware of one. Fusses to Tango, hopefully all is well. xx
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

Thanks both. She seems normal so far. Hostas are a relative of the Lily, that's why we were worried.