Kitten keeps wetting on bedding

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Tara1984
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Kitten keeps wetting on bedding

Post by Tara1984 »

Hi there,

My boyfriends kitten is 5 months old and he keeps wetting on the bedding and I was wondering if there is a way to stop this? I know my kitten used to wet behind my tv but I never had a kitten do it on the bed. I have seen his kitten go in the litter tray but he tells me that his kitten keeps wetting on the bedding and wetting on his dogs bedding and he has to keep washing the bed sheets all the time.

Any advice would be much appreicated.

Tara
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Kitten keeps wetting on bedding

Post by bobbys girl »

We once invested in a Duck Down duvet. A few days after we bought it Purdy had an encounter with a passing stray and vented anger (and her bladder) on the new duvet. As much as we tried to sponge it clean, she did it again on the same spot, as did one of the others. It was a very expensive lesson!

You might not be able to smell where she has been - but she can. Whatever is causing her to pee where she shouldn't needs to be sorted.

You mention a dog, is the litter tray anywhere near where the dog hangs out (if that makes sense) It might be off-putting to the cat.

Also, try washing the bedding with a good Bio powder in as hot a wash as the fabric will stand (**** the environment) and add some 'Zoflora' disinfectant to the rinse (something you like the smell of!)

Good luck!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

bobbys girl wrote:(**** the environment)
Yikes, I've been censored - it wasn't THAT bad, honest. :lol: :lol:
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

"Golly goo pimples to the environment I say!" :P
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Cats don't only wee because they need to go, but to mark territory and to hide the smells of intruders into their territory. I just wonder, as the kitten is marking the human's bedding and the dog's bedding whether he or she is feeling insecure in some way, and trying to mask the unwanted smell? I also wonder whether he or she has been neutered yet?

Kittens are unpredictable at times but at 5 months he/she should be confident in using a litter tray (and obviously can when they want to) so there has to be some reason why he/she is doing this. Are the dog and cat happy together? Does the dog interfere with the cat's toileting? Can the cat use the 'facilities' in peace?

I'd also agreed to use something pretty strong in the wash to get an nice fresh non-human/animal smell, and hope this works.

Perhaps some others will have additional ideas.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

bobbys girl wrote:
bobbys girl wrote:(**** the environment)
Yikes, I've been censored - it wasn't THAT bad, honest. :lol: :lol:
LOL - I used to post on a forum with a SEVERE 'swear filter' - woe betide you if you mentioned the control kn0b of a snake's heating thermostat, and as for such sundry topics as the author Charles ****ens and the crime writer **** Francis, forget it.

And if you happened to own a c0ckatiel and a Sh1 tzu and live in the town of S c*nt horpe... :shock:

The only word it couldn't censor was the American term for royal pythons, who are known in the US as BALLS! :lol:

Hi Tara, I agree with the previous good advice; it does sound like the kitten's marking, though they do get funny ideas in their heads - once in my teens I was getting ready to go out and had my coat laid on the bed...my kitten sat down on it with an expression of bliss on her face and...I did NOT go out in that very soggy coat!

Is there any possibility of your boyfriend's barring the kitten from the bedroom/other areas where the 'sinning' occurs until kitten's got accustomed to better habits? All the very best :)