Possible IBD?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
SarahTownie
New Cat Chatter

Possible IBD?

Post by SarahTownie »

My cats name is Tunabug and she has been sick for over a week. Just out of the blue one day she started throwing up stomach bile, she would gag, retch, hack, and extend her neck. Next day she didn't get better I took her to the vet and they did blood work, X-rays, and thyroid test and nothing came back to be wrong with her.

I am at a loss, the vet is having her take budesonide because he thinks it is IBD, next is a more extensive blood test to test for cancer, and an ultra sound of her intestines. She is being put on Cerenia also B12 injection.

Has anyone gone through something like this before? Did your cats have similar symptoms? Im desperate to hear anything anyone has to say because I am worried sick about Tunabug.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Possible IBD?

Post by greenkitty »

IBD is notoriously difficult to diagnose, I had a biopsy done on Hector and it was still inconclusive. It can be a battle to find the the right combination of diet/medication but it is controllable. I found the best combination Purina HA with a low dose of Prednisalone and this kept him stable for a good few years, I lost him earlier this year but to something totally unrelated. Hector used to vomit but it was always just after he'd eaten so would be food, his problems were mainly at the other end.

How long has this being going on?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Possible IBD?

Post by Crewella »

My old Minnie had long term gut problems and was often sick. It might also be worth looking at foods as for several years we solved it by cutting fish out of her diet, then cereals. As she got older just diet was no longer enough and she went onto prednisolone.