Help! My cat is obsessed!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
supersamtastic
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Help! My cat is obsessed!

Post by supersamtastic »

So my cat is totally obsessed with me. I don't know what to do. It's super cute but at the same time really annoying and he drives everyone crazy when I'm not here. I've only had him since January. Hes a Maine Coon mix and the vet aged him at around 3. He follows me everywhere when I'm in the house which wouldn't be a problem if he didn't meow constantly. His meowing is so loud that everyone else in the house gets super angry.. And when I'm not here supposedly the meowing is worse. If I sit down he has to be on me.. As I'm laying here writing this he keeps pawing at my arm. It's super great that he loves me but I'd love if he were able to be less focused on me so he's not so bad when I'm not here. Also, what can I do about the meowing? I've tried totally ignoring him so it gets him nowhere and that doesn't work. I've tried using a firm voice to tell him to stop. I've never been a cat person I feel lost.

Sorry that was so long!
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Help! My cat is obsessed!

Post by Grace56 »

Hi there Supersamtastic. I honestly don't know how to advise you with this one. However, I have looked up on line and found this site. I hope it is some use for you.

Good luck.

http://www.arcamax.com/homeandleisure/p ... 440-487508" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Hey there supersamtastic. How long have you had your cat? How old are they? Were they a rescue or did you get them from a kitten?

I admit it's weird to see a cat so attached to someone. You probably have what most owners would dream of.
supersamtastic
New Cat Chatter

Post by supersamtastic »

Thanks Grace! That's better than I was able to find so that helps some.

Yeah Mrs. Kane I thought I was super lucky at first but it's turned into more of a nuisance than I thought. I've had him since January.. he was a stray in my grandmother's neighborhood that she fed and eventually let inside. She had to get rid of her animals and so I took him in so he wouldn't have to go to a pound. The vet said he is around 3. He's always been people friendly so I figure he was probably someone's kitten when he was little.

I'm thinking that if I got an automatic feeder he would bother me less for food? That's what he meows about anytime I go anywhere near my room (where his food is kept). Then he'd only meow at me when I go anywhere and close a door without him inside. Anyone think that might work?
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

My, he is a beautiful cat! You could try with the automatic feeder, but I'm not sure it would fulfil the same objective - which is your attention. I would definitely spend some special times with him in active play - things with string, laser pen, etc. Make these as regular as you can, including one before bed, and make sure he has special times when he gets treats and his meals. Then try to ignore the mewing in between. Give him toys around that he can get interested in, especially catnip toys and even something to challenge his wits, if he likes regular treats, like this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004 ... 1_2&sr=8-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cats understand patterns well, as long as the patterns meet their needs, and he might become less clingy. The other ultimate issue is whether he is cat-friendly or not... not all cats like the company of other cats, but if he does then a companion might diffuse the attention from you. If he doesn't like other cats he'll just be in competition for your exclusive attention.

If he's constantly looking for attention and contact then he's missing something, or he has serious separation anxiety and will take time and training to settle and not be so dependent upon your attention 24-7.
Percy FG
New Cat Chatter

Post by Percy FG »

It might be a Maine Coon thing. My cat does the same thing and he's a Maine Coon mix too. It could also be an insecurity thing. I read that some cats that used to be strays are clingy bc they feel like they'll be abandoned again and they're terrified of that