Lola suddenly out all night?!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
lolaselina1
New Cat Chatter

Lola suddenly out all night?!

Post by lolaselina1 »

Hi all,
I have two cats, Lola and Selina, both sisters around 6 years old. Selina is indoor mostly and Lola comes and goes as she pleases.
Lola is always back at night so she can come and sleep on my bed with me. However for the last couple of weeks, around every two days or so, Lola decides to stay out the whole night. This isn't like her at all. I'm worried for her safety.
This is sometimes a case of letting her out after we feed her dinner, and other times she goes out in the afternoon and doesn't come back until morning. I'm worried sick, and can't sleep properly without her on my bed and not knowing where she is.

Why has she suddenly decided to do this?! We go out calling for her to no avail. She has a bell so I can usually hear her coming from ages away but on the occasions she stays out I hear nothing. I don't mind if she sleeps in someone else's house sometimes but I do wish they would let me know so I don't worry!

Should I be concerned? :/
exlibris
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Lola suddenly out all night?!

Post by exlibris »

Maybe put a note on her collar asking that if anyone is letting her slum it at their house - adding you don't mind but would just like to reassured she's staying somewhere.
Is it possible she has a male companion? I've heard that sometimes neutering doesn't stop the hormones kicking in.
You could also invest in one of those electronic cat flaps. They work on the chip and therefore only let your cats inside. You can programme the flap to only let cats in after a certain time, so if she's popping back in you can stop her leaving again.
Hope that's of some use!
Mrs Mac
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mrs Mac »

That sounds like somebody has started letting her in at night. Are there new neighbours in the neighbourhood? Do you know your neighbours well? You could ring a few doorbells and ask if people have seen Lola visiting people or if they might know where Lola might spend the night.

I can totally understand that you are worried sick. My Rosie was gone for a night a month ago and we were up all night looking for her. She hadn't come back by morning so we made the round of the neighbourhood asking people if they had seen her and to check their outbuildings. She came back late afternoon, bedraggled, upset and covered in spiderwebs - so she must have gotten herself locked in somewhere!

But if course that can't be the case with Lola due to the recurring occasions on which she doesn't come home. Good point about the male companion too. Or maybe she's just discovered an interesting spot to watch all night. She clearly is ok staying away as she always returns but I can totally understand your worries.

Cat flap with entry only mode is also a good suggestion. See how she feels about being locked in in the evening. She may get used to it very quickly. Fingers crossed you get this sorted soon.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

Will she wear a collar? You could try a Loc8tor plus tag on her collar to see where she goes at night.
Tabbytwocats
New Cat Chatter

Post by Tabbytwocats »

ours do occasionally stay out - there is usually a dead mouse in the house the next day which explains a lot !