Cat scared to go out now, was fine before

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
coolrider
New Cat Chatter

Cat scared to go out now, was fine before

Post by coolrider »

My problem is a young neutered male about 18 months old. He came from a cat rescue as a kitten and settled down very well. After about two weeks we started getting him off the litter and going out. With a little help (we live in a flat) he took to going out with no problem and would go to the door when he himself wanted out, either to relieve himself or just to play. There was no mess of any kind in the house - he was the cleanest cat I have ever owned.
The situation changed at the beginning of July. He started messing in the house for no apparent reason and was reluctant to go out. The only possible explanation is that he has had a confrontation with another animal outside and is now scared to go out. One of us has to go down stairs with him almost every time in order to get him out. When outside he is obviously nervous (he never was before) and is always looking about, turning around suddenly and standing up on his hind legs to look about like a meerkat.

We are trying to build up his confidence again. Can anyone offer any help as the process seems very slow and we are not sure if it will ever work.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat scared to go out now, was fine before

Post by Lilith »

Hi there and welcome.

I think you're right - he's had a bad experience out there and it's put him off going out.

If you haven't already done this, it might be best to give him back his litter tray and let him stay indoors for the time being with lots of fusses to help him get his confidence back. I wouldn't urge him to go out or try to retrain him right at the moment - he sounds scared, and rushing things might just make the situation worse.

Personally I'd let him chill for as long as he wants; gradually he may show signs of wanting to go out again, and then you can gently reintroduce him to the outdoors again. All the very best with him :)
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

I second Lilith on this. Bring back his tray and bring back his confidence to be curious again. :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree too, and I suspect pushing him out before he is ready will only reinforce his feelings of insecurity and make matters worse. Just give him some time to get his mojo back.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

Definitely caused by another animal, almost certainly another cat. Agree with the others' views on this.
Dilcia
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Dilcia »

My cat will only use a litter tray inside whereas my previous cat always went outside. I have a secure garden so she was always safe. As the other say a litter tray inside would be best. My friend's cats always use the litter tray and the advantage is you always know if they are ill. She has the covered ones.