Elderly cat query

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
AngelaWB
New Cat Chatter

Elderly cat query

Post by AngelaWB »

I have an ex feral cat who I first saw in 1999 when she started to visit to my horses field, eventually moving in full time when the woman who had owned her died and her son moved away leaving her behind. 3 years ago, altho still quite wild, I brought her home to live. She quickly came to enjoy the more comfortable lifestyle a housecat provides. 5 weeks ago, due to two of my other cats disagreeing, I made the difficult decision to rehome my pixie bob girl. After she went Goldie became very clingy with me, following me around and constantly wanting a fuss (change in behaviour). I guessed she was missing Doris. Unfortunately Doris didn't get on with the resident cat at her new home, so she's come home. Rather than be delighted Goldie is hissing at her and still following me around (so now assuming it's not the loss of Doris that caused behaviour change). I've noticed on occasion she quivers (like she has parkinsons). Then last night as I stroked her I noticed her pupils looked higher up and were dilating and contracting, as her head quivered. Then they came back to normal.

Before I ring the vet (who I seem to have a hotline to at the moment because of my dogs eye problems), I don't want to appear any more neurotic than I already do - does anyone with a senior cat have any experience of this - is this normal in elderly cats (I'm guessing she's at least 15 to 16 yrs of age by now). Thanks
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Re: Elderly cat query

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Hi Angela. I don't have any experience, but it could be epilepsy - in any case it certainly doesn't sound normal so I'd get her to the vet. Poor Goldie. Doris has probably come home carrying strange scents, so it's still possible that Goldie has been missing her but as yet doesn't recognise her. I've learned that if I feel that something is wrong to go with my gut instinct, even when there's not much to see - more often than not my instincts are correct and a chat to my vet or a consultation has never been a waste.
AngelaWB
New Cat Chatter

Post by AngelaWB »

Thanks lyn. Yes mu gut instinct is that she's having seizures, but I wasn't sure if it was me being a bit over the top. I will chat with vet. Thanks x
Lin1611
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lin1611 »

Hi Angela, I agree with Lyn....you know best when it comes to what is 'normal'.

My old boy used to have all sorts of age-related symptoms, when they get to that age some things can be just normal ageing, others could indicate something more serious. I think the fact that your girl has physical symptoms and a behavioural change certainly warrants a chat with the vet.

Good luck to you and Goldie x