aggressive cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
madmum
New Cat Chatter

aggressive cat

Post by madmum »

got a cat 4 weeks ago who was going to put down as owner moving. when she came in cat basket was hiding under blanket very scared. picked her up out of basket & she was fine. let her explore front room & she hid behind settee. hour later went to stroke her & attacked my hand biting & scratching. tempted her into crate with food & kept her in there for few days. but got worse attacking when putting food bowl in.
so let her loose & she ran upstairs. spent week in bedroom mainly in wardrobe. now comes down for food. will come & sit on lap sometimes but cant touch her at all. even if move hand she attacks. yet is purring & rubs her face against me.
now will follow me around rubbing against my legs but just cant touch her at all.
very aggressive towards mainly my neutered tom cat. he is terrified of her despite being opposite normally & no strange cats dare come in garden. yet she chases him all over house. not too bad with 2 females they sit & grumble & stare till 1 runs off. even my 30kg dog is scared of her.

she is 3 years old & told neutered & had injections but doubtful of how they took her to vet.

told she was a mainly outdoor cat & only came in for food but let her out in garden in last week hoping might make her happier. but out for 5 minutes & runs back in & goes in wardrobe. no problem if she wants to be inside apart from coming in then using litter tray.

owner says not affectionate & would hiss & scratch if cuddled or picked up but not that cant touch her at all. guess had a bad time as young kitten as she took her as very young kitten as was going to be drowned. must have been very young as had to bottle feed her. is very small for a fully grown cat. will keep her regardless but thinking about wont be able to take her to vets for anything & only way to worm & flea treat her. think would have to wear gloves & thick coat & throw blanket over her
Jane

Re: aggressive cat

Post by Jane »

Hello and welcome. I have moved your post to this section as it may get more replies. Hopefully your cat is settling in now but here is some information which may be helpful. Note there are further links with additional information at the bottom of the page which may be helpful regarding introductions etc:

http://www.catchat.org/cat_aggression.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope that helps.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: aggressive cat

Post by Lilith »

Hi - I've got one like this, and I've had her for nearly 4 years...

Her previous owners couldn't cope with her - and with good cause; she's NOT a 'family pet'; she attacked the kids and they feared for the new baby. I don't know if the kids had teased her or she's simply just a 'madam' - I suspect the latter.

Like your girl she has very set ways; she too follows me around and purrs and rubs but it's taken up till now to encourage her to accept affection without taking my hand off! Even so, it can still be a case of 'stroke the wrong ear and you've had it!'

I find the best way is just to accept her as she is - but any aggressiveness, I reply with a sharp 'no!' Not loudly, but firmly, or even a hiss. And withdraw all contact - but if she comes to rub or talk (she's very vocal) I tell her she's a good girl - I always give her lots of praise for 'civilised' behaviour. This is actually paying off; if she tries to bully my older females (though one will bash her) I speak and she backs down; if she's doing something illegal like curtain-climbing I've only to tell her and a smiling little face will come round the curtain, with a purr ('not really cross with me are you?') She'll now snuggle up to me and want her back rubbing and - the real breakthrough - the other day I was absentmindedly drumming my fingers, not realising that Molly was watching. Quick as a flash a paw came up and tapped my hand - with the claws IN! She got a lot of praise for that!

She still hates being picked up; even an absent-minded stroke can make her leap into the air as if she's never met me before, and I can understand your dilemma with your girl re vet and carrier. In a way I'm lucky (lol!) as I've had a lifetime of cats, some not polite, and also I keep snakes, who are very gentle beings apart from feeding day, when even the most peaceable python or pine snake can get a tad excited and come whipping like a mamba past the rat on the feeding tongs and get me...yeeowch! So if I have to pick Molly up, she gets picked up, and if biting me makes her feel better about the experience then so be it. If you happen to get bitten, a good tip is to keep as still as possible, because then the cat (or snake) spits you out the faster...

I did meet a couple of feral toms, however, and got these lads to the vet for neutering by putting a bit of tuna right at the back of the carrier. They were big chaps and I'm not a masochist!

Good luck with your girl, and good on you for rescuing her - she's obviously not everybody's cup of tea but sounds like you're both bonding already. I hope your lad settles down with her too - personally I suspect she could quite like him; it's sometimes hard to know whether that sort of chasing is play-fighting or bullying - do hope it's positive.

All the very very best with her - these 'wildies' are hard work but they're so lovable and rewarding. Do keep updating :)