Teeth

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Teeth

Post by Catfan5 »

Hi, my vet says all my (6) cats have some gingivitis on the upper gums and says all cats tend to develop it at some stage. Of course he recommends dry dental biscuits to keep the teeth clean although we all know that's a myth! But as my furry crew like dry food to graze on I bought some Royal Canin Oral Care to try not realising it contained wheat. I added a few biscuits to their normal jwb but three of the boys with sensitive tums got the runs! They're OK with jwb oral food but the biscuits crumble and leave soggy crumbs around the bowl lol! So I'm looking for a grain free dry food with big biscuits as they all like to crunch! Purina one used to be good until they put wheat in it. Any ideas please?
Also is there really anything I can do to help their teeth- don't think they'd tolerate brushing or any other fiddling with their mouths :)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Teeth

Post by meriad »

ooh - that is a difficult one. I only feed about 6 kibbles of the oral care biscuits once a week to my lot. Not sure if it's making a difference - I've got two of them at the vet for a check up and booster in the next few weeks so that'll tell

But one of them is also sensitive to cereals so will see what I can find and report back if I do find anything
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

just thinking - do you cats eat raw meat? Reason I ask is that quite a few people have in the past recommended taking a raw chicken wing and feeding that to their cats. Start by breaking the wing at the two joints to give you three pieces. The raw chicken bone is safe for the cats and the crunching through the bone will help keep teeth clean
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

As Ria says, I used to give my cats raw chicken wings for their teeth - it's the way cats keep their teeth clean naturally. I've only stopped because my Daz is a prolific hunter and brings back all sorts for the others to chomp on these days, so the wings are no longer needed!

It's important that they are raw, cooked bones become brittle and can splinter so should not be given to cats.
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

Thanks, it's a tricky one! Have tried chicken wings but none of them are interested, even the two hunters! :)
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

I wonder if there are chewy things for cats like there are for dogs to chew on, don't know if it's food or just toys. Two of ours catch mice occasionally and the odd bird so was surprised at them turning up their noses at the chicken wings!
andybriz
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by andybriz »

One of mine is on Hills Prescription Z/D food which is like a sticky pate consistency. It's made his teeth completely brown, but he can't have anything biscuity as he gets severe skin reactions. The vet gave me some toothpaste and a toothbrush which was pretty much impossible to do, so she gave me some seaweed bits to sprinkle on his food but I don't think it's made much of a difference so she said she may want to scale and polish. I guess they'll have to knock him out to do this? Does anyone know? Sorry to hijack the thread!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Yes, they usually do sedate or anaesthetise for a dental.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Catfan, have a look here:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_ ... omposition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_ ... omposition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These both seem to be rice and potato based; would that work do you think?
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

Hi Ria, thanks so much for the link and taking the time to search :) that looks exactly what I've been looking for, I'm going to order some and the treats. I can't see anything in the ingredients to upset their tums and the kibble looks a good size so we'll see!
Hi andybriz, two of mine have had dentals recently and they both had anaesthetics. I have a toothbrush and paste for them but none of them would allow me to even try!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

You're welcome, but I can't take any credit for researching - Zooplus sent me a marketing email this morning and this was in them :D

this link gives you a special deal: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/pet_suppl ... ers/521978" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Catfan5
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Catfan5 »

Haha! A lucky (for me) coincidence then. Fingers crossed our crew like it! :)