Traumatised by dog attack

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
johntruscott
Frequent Cat Chatter

Traumatised by dog attack

Post by johntruscott »

My cat was attacked by a Scottie dog three days ago, since when he's been unusually quiet, turned in on himself and unresponsive except when I tried to stroke him, when he snarled and spat and yowled and once bit my hand quite hard, which he'd never normally do. Today I think I managed to locate an area that's painful, on one side of his body, so that when I just stroke his head and under his chin he's fine, as he seems to trust that I won't touch the painful spot; he has no loss of appetite and still jumps up easily on to the counter for his dry food, but I notice that he goes downstairs quite gingerly (though fine going up) and there seems to be a swelling at the painful place.
I'm not sure what I should do. Getting him into the carrying basket is a struggle at the best of times and would probably be a lot worse than usual and might be really painful for him, so I'd ideally like to avoid taking him to a vet. I just wish I could know whether he's in any constant pain or whether the hurt is mainly psychological, in which case he'll eventually get over it.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Traumatised by dog attack

Post by booktigger »

If there is swelling, he needs to see a vet, in case antibiotics are needed
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

I'm not even sure where to start so won't say too much besides

Get your cat to a vet asap!!!!!!!!!!!!

No offence, but difficult to get a cat in a carrier or not, I find it quite hard to swallow that it's been three day since an attack by a dog and your cat hasn't been seen by a vet.
johntruscott
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by johntruscott »

Thank you both very much for your sense of urgency, as soon as I read your e-mails this morning I contacted my local Blue Cross animal hospital and they saw Jordi immediately and treated him. He had a puncture wound from a tooth, with hardened and swollen flesh around it. Fortunately, there was no trace of a symmetrical wound on his other side, which would have meant that the dog had got Jordi between his jaws and could have injured him fatally, but there is still a slight chance that he has internal damage. He has had some injections and I have a course of antibiotics to give him, and if he fails to respond or if his condition worsens I will contact the hospital again. They have a 24-hour emergency service.
Thank you again for responding so emphatically.
Re the carrier, Jordi was so subdued he went in without much protest.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

thank you so much! Fingers crossed Jordi makes a speedy recovery and is back to his usual self very soon.
johntruscott
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by johntruscott »

Thank you! He's perked up a lot since seeing the vet.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I'm so glad you took note and acted promptly, and pleased that he's, hopefully, on the mend. :)